Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

I am here to help with GAIT!

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Cingular GSM User, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Cingular GSM User

Hi,

I am here to help you with any GAIT (GSM-TDMA Interporebility) questions, comments or concerns you may have.

I can also answer many questions you may have about Cingular Wireless.

Any one have a Cingular Wirelss GAIT plan or planning on getting one? Anyone need help or info on how to get or use Cingular's GAIT?

If so... then post them here

(COULD WE PLEASE MAKE THIS A STICKY WHERE PEOPLE CAN POST ANY QUESTIONS, COMMENTS OR CONCERNS ABOUT GAIT)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. azcellphonejunkie

azcellphonejunkie The Cell Phone Junkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
    Like I mentioned in another thread, I will be looking for a phone here in the next few days. I will be contacting you with any questions or problems that I run into...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):

I found this on another forum. Can you verify if it is true or not? I have a Cingular 64K SIM. Is there a special GAIT SIM that I would need?

"Gait SIMs will not work in a GSM handset, but on the other side, a GSM SIM will cause a Gait handset to only work in GSM mode."

4. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):

Another question. When I get the Nokia phone, you mentioned that I put my Cingular SIM in the phone and call them. Should I call them from the new Nokia phone, or another line? I'm assuming they are going to need the ESN number from the new GAIT phone as well.

5. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Here is my experience: I'm a cingular user and got my GAIT phone 2 years ago. At that time all cingular SIM cards were GAIT+GSM. That SIM could be placed into an GSM-only phone and work fine. But for the SIM to work into a GAIT phone, you had to register the ISN # of the phone with Cingular (not the same as the IMEI #).

This October, 2004, Cingular allowed GAIT customers to switch to GSM only plans and still use their GAIT phones (and maintain TMDA,Analog service where needed). That was a change in policy. I used the same SIM at that time.

In December, I got a new GSM-only phone and a new 64K SIM. Today, I can place my new 64K SIM into the GAIT phone and it works on GSM. I have not checked to see if it works on TDMA/Analog, BUT I doubt it very much. Except for 911 service, of course.

6. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Really, that is interesting. Is there any way for you test it with the 64K SIM? I am looking to purchase the Nokia phone soon, but don't want to obviously if it isn't going to work on TDMA and AMPS with my 64K SIM.

7. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    There is a way to force the phone into TDMA mode. Or I can try it for a day and see if it works. I've been meaning to try this for a vhile now.

I meant to write that "for the SIM to work in a GAIT phone(in TDMA mode) , you had to register the ISN # of the phone with Cingular (not the same as the IMEI #)." The GAIT phone works fine in GSM without any ISN registration.

8. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Can you try it for me and let me know the results? I would like to know that someone has been able to use the 64K SIM in a GAIT phone and been able to use the TDMA and or AMPS side with no problems. I of course would register the ESN with Cingular if I got the phone to take advantage of the TDMA/AMPS service if possible with my SIM.

9. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Ok, you own me a beer. I tried it for you, with some interesting results. Mind you, I have GAIT options already on my current plan (grandfathered in) and this phone ESN was listed with my account at one time. I know that one had to do this because I replaced a 6340i once.

I put the 64K sim in the 6340i. It took awhile to come up, which meant it didn't find a GSM at first. When it came up, it was in TDMA mode. So it worked!! However here was a quirk...I could not place a call to my office phone unless I used 1+ area code. Cingular would come on and say that I needed to do this. The phone did display 'Cingular', not Cingular Extend

I placed a call to the GAIT phone from my office...same thing...I had to use the area code for a local number. So maybe I was roaming somewhere else and not cingular?? Also, no caller ID displayed on my phone.

Anyhow, I restarted the GAIT phone, and this time it came up in GSM, very quickly. Now, I could place a local call, both ways, and I had Caller ID.

So it seems to work for me. For you, it may be a different case. Something to call Cingular about. In any event, one can get a 6340i for about $20 on ebay. It makes a good backup GSM phone, and a E911 backup for analog or TDMA at the very minimum...can't go wrong I think

10. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):

I definitely owe you a beer! Get yourself to Scottsdale and we are all set :browani:

Anyway, I found a new one on ebay for 29.99 and hopefully I will get it. After I get the phone, I will be calling Cingular to activate the GSM-TDMA interoperability on the account. From there I will have to do some testing to see if I can replicate the same results that you got. I am glad that with a 64K SIM I will be able to use the GAIT options. I was worried for a while when I was reading some things about them needing a special SIM card. Thanks a million for your help!

11. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Of course, this may not be repeated...I was surprised to get a TDMA without forcing the phone into that mode. GSM is very strong in my area these days. I may have hit some NY tower from CT. Don't know.

I mean the 1+area code thing, that is. It was a little odd.

12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

One last thing. You may want to unlock the 6340i also. I did it with the Nokiafree program very easily.

That is a story by itself. When the phone was new, it was unlocked and I could put a tmobile sim in it (and worked on GSM mode). A year later, it was locked! Don't know how. So I unlocked it, and now it is fine.

13. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I follow you. It was an odd situation that you just had. I am just happy that I will be able to use my 64K SIM with a GAIT phone!

14. Cingular GSM User

Thank you viewfly for helping AZCell out! I am not always on to answer questions you guys may post so, IF someone else KNOWS THE CORRECT answer to someones question then they can go ahead and assist them JUST AS viewfly did for AZcell

15. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I have used the Nokia unlocking programs in the past and had success with them. I am with Cingular so it shouldn't make a difference. I will probabally unlock it anyway just because if I were ever to need it with a T-Mobile SIM.

You have really helped me out here with my questions! I certainly appreciate it!

16. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'm guessing then that you have had the same results with as viewfly? Using a 64K SIM in a GAIT phone is not a problem right? Both of you have been great!

17. Cingular GSM User

yes i do.

18. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Great, thank you!

19. Chris_in_Central_PA

Chris_in_Central_PA New Member

OK, here goes. I think I have this figured out, but looks like those who know are here. I'm a newbie at this process and I appreciate the help.

I'm currently a AT&T(what's left of them anyways) TDMA customer.

I'm looking to migrate to cingular, but need to maintain TDMA compatability, so the GAIT deal is for me.

Looks like a Nokia 6340i from ebay will be the phone (anything I should look out for (or look for)/do when purchasing a used phone?).

Once I have the phone I call Cingular and migrate my service and order a SIM card for the phone when I do? Making sure I give them the ESN # of the phone and telling them to activate GSM-TDMA Interoperability?

Can I just order a card or do I need to order a phone too? Is the 64k card superior (therefore should order one of those)?

Any hurdles or pitfalls I should watch out for?

Thanks,
    Chris

20. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    From what I have learned in the last few days of researching GAIT, I think you are on the right track.

The Nokia 6340i is the phone that i just bought and appears to be the best out of the 2 availible. The SIM card that you are looking to get should be one that is compatible with GSM service on Cingular. As I understand it, it doesn't matter if you have a 32k or 64k SIM.

Make sure you have a GSM plan with them and then put your SIM in the phone and call them up, making sure to have the ESN on hand when you ask to add GSM-TDMA interoperability to the account, thus needing to provide the ESN to the person helping you.

I would recommend getting the IMEI number of the phone from the person on Ebay that you are looking to buy. Then call Cingular and ask them if the IMEI number is OK to be activated. If the phone has been stolen or lost and someone has locked the IMEI out, then the phone can't register on the Cingular network. Just something to do that only takes a few minutes, but can save you a lot of hassle.

Cingular GSM User: If you have anymore input on this, please let us know.

By the way, I won my auction for $29.99 on the 6340i yesterday and it shipped this morning. I will let you know how the activation of the TDMA side goes when I get it. Hopefully Monday!

21. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    OK listen to this garbage. I just talked to Cingular and asked them if I could register the ESN of the new 6340i with them to take advantage of the interoperabilty with them. She told me that I just had to put the SIM card in the Nokia and I would be able to use it. I told her that I wanted to have the ESN registered with them so I could use the TDMA side, and she went off on this disertation of why I don't need to use TDMA because the entire state of AZ is now covered by GSM. She said that I couldn't activate a TDMA phone with her because I have a GSM account. When i told her the phone did both, she got quiet and told me that all I would have to do is put the SIM in the new phone and it would work.

Looks like I'm calling back :mad: :mad:

22. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    This would be a good time for a Cingular employee to step in and tell us if this still needs to be done! Cingular may have changed the rules. Az, maybe wait and try it out first.

23. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Az: I tried placing my SIM into my wife's 6340i (not my old one that I used in the test for you). I forced it to TDMA, it registered a signal with Cingular in TDMA, but I could not place or receive calls. When I tried to place a call, Cingular said I was not an authorized user.

Good luck with Cingular C/S on the GAIT thing, like I warned, there is a risk that you will not find a C/S that will allow you to do this. But with Cing, if the first C/S won't do it, call again, and again, and again. ;)

24. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That is the plan. I am waiting to see if I get the phone today or if it will be Monday. It was shipped yesterday from CA, so it may be here today if he sent it first thing in the morning. Crossing my fingers that it will come today!

25. clackey3

clackey3 New Member

Okay, what kind of SIM am Iusing?

SIM pulled from Ericson CF888 Dual Mode works GSM-1900 amd AMPS.
    Put SIM in Nokia 6340i and immediately the Nokia is working in my GSM home location. With the Ericson, I can select if it operate in Analog, GSM, or Dual.

What kind of SIM is it?
    What should I know about putting it in the Nokia. I do need Analog one week a year when I go camping remote in Virginia, Kerr Lake.

26. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    From what I know, you have to register the ESN of the Nokia 6340i with Cingular and then you have access to the TDMA/AMPS network. I haven't tried it for myself, but others say this is how you take advantage of what a GAIT phone can do!

27. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Everyone ready for a crazy experience with Cingular? Here goes!

So I received my Nokia 6340i in the mail yesterday and put the Cingular 64K SIM in the phone. Nothing, nada, dead.

The phone powered on and I was able to use the screens to go through menus and access my phone book on the SIM, but I had no signal! I took the card out and put it in my V600 and it worked fine.

I called Cingular and got CS. Now this is where it gets interesting. I called at about 6pm, and got their support in India. I could barely understand what the person was saying, but I am a patient man, and didn't want to get upset. They have a job to do, so I thought I would let them. The bottom line was that I spent 65 minutes on the phone with them, and all that was resolved was them adding my IMEI for the Nokia to the account. They had no idea what I meant with GAIT and even told me that since I had a family plan, I would need to have 2 identical phones on each line in order for the phone to work. Huh? We I know this isn't true! So the person ended up filing a trouble ticket and after over an hour I got off the phone with them.

30 minutes later, tech support called me and told me that they had a trouble ticket for me on my account, and there were no details. When I talked to the guy, he told me that it may be an issue with the 64K SIM. I took that is word and never pulled the Nokia out for the rest of the night.

This morning, just for kicks I put the SIM in the Nokia again and for some odd reason, the phone worked! I had GSM coverage and things seemed to be fine. I the called up Customer Service to talk to them about adding the GAIT (GSM-TDMA interoperability) to the account. After 15 minutes, she told me this option is only availible in California! I know the folks that have this and I have been talking to here on the forums are not all in California!

Bottom line: The phone works fine in GSM mode, and I was even able to unlock it and get into the Field Test screens. I cannot figure out how to force the phone into TDMA mode, and would like assistance if anyone knows how to do this! I may try calling a few more times to see if I get different answers. Who knows, looks like I won't be able to have GAIT here in Arizona! This is just very strange! Please help!!!!

I'll keep you all updated as to what I figure out.

AZ

28. svanwormer

svanwormer Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    My other post specifically tells how to force TDMA on the phone. What firmware are you running??? *#0000#

29. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Got your other post, thanks. I will have to do some digging, I don't know the information for the TDMA systems around here.
    My firmware is V 8.05.3
    Date: 06-27-03
    RH-13

30. svanwormer

svanwormer Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Ok, that is what i have. You will need to look what TDMA/AMPS carriers are in your area by looking on http://www.mountainwireless.com/sid.htm I can give you some help. Is Scottsdale the city are you looking to get TDMA coverage in? SIDs will most likely be listed in Phoenix. Are you familiar with field test and what the screens are?