Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

I-87 and Adirondack Park Area Residents and Travelers Enjoy the Latest Wireless Tech

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Blaise, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Blaise

Blaise Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    V555
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Unicel, Verizon
    NEXT-GENERATION WIRELESS NETWORK EXPANDED IN THE NORTH COUNTRY
    I-87 and Adirondack Park Area Residents and Travelers Enjoy the Latest Wireless Technology

Plattsburgh, NY, November 11, 2005 – Unicel, a service of Rural Cellular Corporation (RCC), today announced an expansion of its state-of-the-art digital wireless network with new cell phone coverage along the Northway (I-87) in northern New York.

Residents and travelers around Keeseville, Plattsburgh, Peru and Moriah can now enjoy increased coverage and take advantage of the latest wireless technology provided by new sites that went live in Keeseville and Moriah in October.

The sites in Keeseville and Moriah extend Unicel’s cellular coverage in the North Country for customers who live and travel in the Adirondack Park and bordering areas in New York and Lake Champlain. Unicel designed these sites to provide:
    • Improved coverage
    • A larger calling area
    • Fewer dropped and blocked calls
    • Fewer system busy signals
    • High-speed data transfers and EDGE technology capabilities

The Keeseville site has extended and strengthened wireless coverage from the Poke-O-Moonshine Mountain north to Plattsburgh on I-87 and along Routes 9 and 22. This site also provides coverage along Route 22B from Peru to Plattsburgh. A new site in Moriah went live in October and improves coverage along I-87, south of Elizabethtown.

“I’m excited to see Unicel responding to this critical communications need along
    I-87,” said New York Assemblyman Chris Ortloff. “Until now, it was widely assumed that only the government could provide wireless service in the Essex county dead zones. We continue to seek government solutions where necessary, but Unicel is showing that the private sector has confidence that these needs can be met without waiting for the government to act,” Ortloff added.

Unicel has built out its state-of-the art network technology this year with new and enhanced sites in Essex, Hamilton, Fulton, Clinton and Franklin counties.

By the end of this year, the company plans to build three additional Essex County sites in Westport, North Hudson and Ticonderoga.

In addition to the latest wireless technology which includes high resolution camera phones, custom ringtones, games and weather radar, advanced features such as Unicel’s Pictures2GoSM picture mail and additional information services are also available on Unicel’s new lineup of data compatible phones.

“These cell site developments are a major step in our ongoing commitment to provide dependable cellular coverage and the latest in wireless technology for our customers,” said Peter Hyszczak, sales director for Unicel.

Unicel operates a retail store in Plattsburgh at 332 Cornelia Street along with several agent locations in the area and additional stores in Vermont. More information on the new phones, new features and new fun is also available at www.unicel.com.

About Unicel
    Unicel is a service of Rural Cellular Corp. (RCC) that focuses on primarily rural markets in 15 states across the U.S. The company operates 99 retail locations and has a comprehensive network of over 400 authorized agents and dealers. Unicel is committed to bringing the latest advances in wireless technology, products and services to its rural markets.
    Rural Cellular Corporation [NASDAQ: RCCC] was established in 1990. Since its initial public offering in February 1996, RCC has completed a series of acquisitions increasing its population served (POPs) where it directly markets from 600,000 to 6.4 million. Go to www.unicel.com for more information.

# # #

For more information:

Miriam Svobodny
    RCC/Unicel
    (320) 808-2178
    miriamls@unicel.com