Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

HTC-TyTn Review-NOT CINGULAR 8525!!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows Mobile Phones' started by Steven2420, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Steven2420

Steven2420 World Champions Baby!!!!!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    HTC's Best Yet
    by Steven2420 Nov 15, 2006

I have had the TyTn for a week now, and like any good reviewer, I wanted to wait until I covered different geographic areas in South Florida. I purchased the phone from Paul at Superior Gadgets in Canada. Why would I do this ONE WEEK before Cingular's release of their 8525? After much research, I decided that I wanted the Un-Tainted version that is "HTC-Microsoft Pure", and not butchered by Cingular's mad scientists that think they can make a great thing work better!

PROS:

Great form factor-easy to hold-solid feel
    The best RF I have ever seen from a cell**I use Cingular in Miami, Fl.
    Samsung 400Mh Processor is super fast
    UMTS-3G is super fast-benchmarks higher then all other HTC products
    Slide out keyboard is solid, clicks into place, backlighting is fantastic, keys are solid and easy to use!
    Windows Mobile 5 is like carrying a PC with you at all times.
    Scroll wheel is ok-slider was ok too on previous models-8125.
    Battery is better the average for a PDA-charge lasts about a full day.

CONS:

Side buttons are too close to each other-Too easy to press by accident-Nothing major about this.
    Stylus is on the bottom, too small and too cheap-This is the reason I didn't give the TyTn a 5!!
    I paid over $700, which was my choice, but that is allot of money. My impatience is not really a con, just a personal flaw!

Summary:

For PDA lovers, the device is awesome, fast reliable and user friendly!!
    3G is unbelievable and a welcome addition to the world of communications!

Purchase this phone from HTC, or a private vendor-UNLOCKED! You won't be sorry!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wonder how it'll stack up in direct comparison to the 8525.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Steven2420

It won't, and that is not an opinion, it is a historical fact. Look at all the phones Cingular has taken and ruined. Here is a list so far!

1. Nokia 6682
    2. Motorola Razr
    3. HTC 8125
    4. HP 6515

There are probably more that I don't remember but these alone are enough evidence that Cingular does NOT know how to leave a great device alone!

By the way, I have followed allot of your posts, you are very informative and full of great information. Thanks for all your contributions!

4. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hopefully I'll have a few for you in regards to the TyTN/8525 in a few weeks, it's my goal to have it before christmas, I'm just still fighting on whether to go the Cingular branded route or not, mainly due to PTT, I also really love the black cover Cingular is giving the 8525. I really appreciate the compliment, but I only share what I find.

5. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Good luck with your new toy Steve!:)

6. Steven2420

Thanks Joe, always good to hear from you brother. Hope everything is well. I was thinking about you when I was talking about Cingular messing up the Nokia 6682! Someday they will stop trying to repaint the Mona Lisa!!

Regards,

Steve

7. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hey Steve, always good to hear from you as well Brother and I agree with you. My SE is not in the same class as some of the higher end phones, when I go on the SE's website and get info on it there is supposed to be a setting in the phone to update the software which Cingular conveniently removed.
    Fortunately, I can download the file from the site and use the USB cable to get the updates when available. And one other thing is the camera, there is supposed to be a cover to protect the lense which I guess that is another Cingular doing because the Cingular branded version does not have it.
    Other than that it is a great phone and I love the SE's UI, anyway good to see you back Steve and keep in touch.:)

8. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    @josephd

As far as I am aware no W810 has a camera cover.

9. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Steven, I am really glad that you like the TyTn so much. Thanks very much for posting the review.

One quick question about the battey, what is usage like on one charge cycle? That's probably one of the very few things that I did not like about my QTEK 9100.

On a related topic, I called my friendly neighborhood Cingular Store, and he said that the 8525 will be any day now and he will call me when it's in, but he always tells me that when I bug him about any new release. :D

The prices he gave me were:

$399.95 with 2 year & $50 rebate. The rebate needs PDA connect data plan.

Without the rebate, it is $449.95 for a 2 year and $524.95 with 1 year. The prices were scary enough already so I didn't ask about no contract. it will probably be $599.95.

Ofcourse I can just wait a couple of weeks and buy the TyTn from you before you put it on E-Bay :rotfl:

......just teasing you buddy. :D

10. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Troublemaker:lmao:

11. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    SE's website mentions it so I was assuming the unbranded version does.

12. Steven2420

Leave it to a cheesehead engineer to give me crap about how often I change cell phones. Let's see Charlyee, let's review, from memory, your phones in the year + that I know you:

• Nokia 6682
    • SE 520a
    • Qtek 9100
    • Motorola Pebl-RED
    • Nokia 6131
    • Cingular 8125
    • I am sure there were others that I am not remembering!!

So, to summarize, it is not only the old, overly agressive VP of Business Development that is fickle and crazy, but all my friends on WA, led by the Wisconsin/Bengali EE from M.I.T.!! Keep it up buddy!! I am watching you!

13. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Um Mr. VP you never answered my question about how much usage you get before the battery needs recharging.

BTW, it was the SE 520i not the 520a and you missed the Siemens SX66. :D

14. Steven2420

You know what Charlyee, you are correct. I get so wrapped up in my "Flame my friends" mentality that I lose track of reality. Sorry about the phones I left out young lady. Now, to answer your highly intelligent inquiry, the battery lasts about 8-10 hours of regular phone and e-mail use before it needs a drink. I found this to be a little above the avg for PDA's. What do you think? Any of your devices from your storied past have a great battery life?

15. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hang you two while I go make some popcorn.:lmao:

16. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I agree that is above average. The QTEK 9100 barely lasted 8 hours and as I mentioned in another thread, I had a charger at home, one at
    work, and one in my car.

Oops sorry forgot the V557 :D. Now if you will excuse me I have to find your S200 thread ........:lmao:

joseph, glad we are providing you with entertainment :D

17. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hey Steve, how do you carry it, do you have a case or clip and is it too big for the pocket?

18. Steven2420

I have always had to keep every type of charger there was for ALL my phones. The real advantage of the Mini-USB phones is that allot of them charge while they are synched!!

Wow, I missed the part about looking for my Qtek thread, you are being really bad tonight Charylee!!!

19. Steven2420

Joe,

I can't do clips, the inevitably hit something and SNAP. I always use a case. This guy from 5StarCommunications has always sold great lambskin cases on eBay. This model is great because it has belt loops on every one!!

Here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Holster-Case-for-Cingular-8125-Pocket-PC-Cell-Phone-pda_W0QQitemZ330048192429QQihZ014QQcategoryZ15036QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330048192429

20. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
  21. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hey Joe, the QTEK 9100 was too thick for my jeans pocket. I had a really nice leather (red) case for it that had a plastic cover for the keyboard. Unfortunately it made it thicker yet. The TyTn (and the 8525) are both slimmer so they should be better fit.

22. Steven2420

You got it buddy, talk soon!!

23. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks Charlyee and Steve, Steve I bought a case off the link you gave me. I usually do not use cases and carry my phone in my pocket,my main use is for work when I leave the phone in the truck when I am outside so it does not get all scratched up.:)

24. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Not to be out of line but I fail to see how cingular has messed up the 8125, I've reflashed mine to the stock ROM, some custom roms and subsequently back to the Cingular aku2 rom, I've had no problems out of it. The only thing I disagree with is that none of the cingular phones have the front facing camera as of yet, but then again T-Mobile does the same. My only major complaint is in regards to something on the SIM, which is the fact that no phone shows when you are roaming.

25. Steven2420

Joe, you will be every happy with his products, and he is also a great guy! Very helpful, funny too. The case is amazing quality for the price!! Have fun buddy!

26. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Shawn, in all honesty I have never had a problem with Cingular branded phones. I have 6230 (2), 6682, SX66, V557, and the 8125 in the Cingular branded versions.

What I did find was that the 8125 was much more prone to lockups and reboots than my unbranded QTEK9100. It was also difficult on the 8125 to make WiFi the default and not Media-Net, with every soft reset it would go back to Media-Net as default. The QTEK also seemed to have a more solid slide out keyboard feel and appeared to be more rugged.

Just my 2 cents.....;)

27. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I can understand that, perhaps this was more of an issue in regards to the original shipping rom than the secondary, as far as the lockups are concerned. I have noticed that the 8125 has the GPRS Stall bug, but so do most AKU2 roms.

The 8525 came out today, so I'm waiting for the first reviews, complaints, and praises. Ahh to be able to afford it now.

28. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks Pal.:)