Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

HTC Touch

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows Mobile Phones' started by AJE, Nov 17, 2007.

1. AJE

AJE Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I thought I would create a separate thread just for the Touch since we have been talking about it in the Tilt thread. I was able to play with one at the Sprint store the other day. I definitely liked the size of it. However I had my hopes up they would have implemented some of the iPhone features like the way you can see the whole web page and the zoom in by using your fingers. Also, I like on the iPhone when you turn the phone they screen automatically adjusts. I wasn't too impressed with it but my expectations probably were not realistic. To me it is just a mogul without a keyboard. I am awaiting Budney's thoughts as I only messed with it for about 10 minutes so I would like to see a more detailed review.

2. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Now that I have had my Touch (Vogue) for a few weeks I will give my thoughts on it.

Pros:

Size: 3.97" x 2.34" x 0.55" Almost a quarter inch thinner and a third of an inch shorter then the Mogul. This thing is tiny, I love it!

Program Memory: 128MB total / 70 MB free out of the box (45 MB more then the Mogul) This makes the Touch much snappier (like my 700wx) and one reason it is more stable then the Mogul.

D-pad: Very solid two piece design, unlike the all-in-one d-pad of the Mogul or the joystick of the 6700

Some thought & testing went into this device: Sounds weird, I know. But if you are a phone whore like me you have tried many PDA/Smartphones, and have notice that HTC tends to just slap the OS on their phones without tweaking or adding things to the OS to make it better. Well, they finally did it with the Touch. This is the most stable ROM on an initial HTC phone release I have used. Also the HTC programs they added make the device ready to use out of the box (HTC Home Plugin, X Button, Touch Flo Cube, & Large Start Menu). No more hunting for 3rd party apps right away. And with the simple design of the Touch it makes for one solid device, no wiggling, creaking, etc... And the rubberized cover makes it very easy to hold onto.

The Screen: I love how it is flush with the unit. No lip on it like most PPC phones. Also I find it easier to read outdoors. It is still not super easy to read but better then the Mogul & 6700. I will still be buying some Anti-Glare screen protectors. With this said the screen itself is different. It is harder, it doesn't give any feedback like most PPC phones. I think it has something to do with durability with all the figure swiping & tapping. But I will warn you the viewing angles are not as good as most PPC phones.

Cons:

Battery Life: It's the price you pay for having such a small and powerful device. With my usage my Touch us just about dried up by the time I get home. I have changed some settings recently, that seem to help. Next is to go back to wired headphones from BT (A2DP) for mp3 listening. I am waiting on a bigger extended battery, but if it adds too much bulk to the Touch I will be getting a mp3 player for my hours of music enjoyment.

Memory Card: The placement of the card is a PITA to get to. You need to pull the battery cover off, then open the side flap. While holding that flap open you need to pick the card out with your fingers. For someone like me with chubby fingers with no finger nails it is a chore to get the card out. I will also mention some people (including myself) have had issues with their memory card becoming corrupted. We are not sure if it from the Touch, owners PCs, 3rd party apps, user error, or what is causing it.

Other Thoughts & Things To Note:

The RF is very good, on par with the Mogul. I like the sound quality on this device, it has a little more bass to it. So to me it sound more life like., and it dose sound louder then the Mogul too. Now for the goodies like Touch Flo, X button, HTC Home plugin, Touch Cube.

Touch Flo is neat, but it doesn't seem to work well for me. It's great if you need to go to the bottom of a page or back up to the top. But for regular scrolling it just doesn't work well.

X button is a simple task manager with the ability to choose how the "x" in the upper corner of pages & apps behaves. I and others have found that X Button seem to conflict with third party apps and slows thins up slightly. So I don't use it, their are other task managers out their with the same functionality.

The HTC Home Plugin dose a little bit of everything, but for me it doesn't do it well. It has a nice big clock, but I don't like the digital font. It will show how many text, email, & missed calls you have, but no voicemail??? Now the weather tab will show your current weather and will show you a 3 day outlook. That is if you are luck enough to have your city in their small list. The next tab has a launcher with eight icon to launch you favorite apps. Cool, but it is always nice to have a few more links. Next is a profile tab for sounds/ringers, you have normal, mute, vibrate, timed. For someone like me this would work. Also it displays your current ring tone, which you can change by tapping the name. I can't be too hard on this plugin a lot of people like it. Their is also a customizer out there for it to change things around to your liking.

The Touch cube is cool and has a lot of potential. To bring it up you need to be on the today screen and swipe up wards. The strange thin is their are only three sides to this cube. One side is a photo contact page with links to the dial pad, call list, contacts, and changing the photo contacts on the bottom of the screen. Then by swiping left or right will bring you to another side of the cube which contains three or six links. The side with three links will take you to the Sprint Music Store, Sprint TV, & On Demand. The side with six links will take you to Sprint Software Store, IM, PIE, SMS, Comm Manager, & Mailbox. A lot of these links I find useless, so I don't use it much.

OK, now on to the keyboard. For me the on-screen touch keyboard has become easy to use for the few text, emails, posts I do on my phone. It is something that takes time to get used to. No way will you get comfortable with the keyboard using it for a short time in the store (that goes for the whole phone in general). Also people forget their are other keyboards you can download to fit your needs better.

Finally, This device isn't going to be for everyone. And it certainly isn't a Iphone (GOOD! ;) ) I hope MS can step up to the plate and offer a slick UI next go round. For those new the PDAphone world or those who want a stable device with good RF and sound quailty the Touch IMHO it is the best PDAphone out their for Sprint at this moment. :)

3. AJE

AJE Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks for the review Budney. Will the screen adjust to landscape or portrait just by turning the phone. I didn't know if this was a feature that you had to turn on or something.

4. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    No it won't, if it did it would be on by default. ;)

5. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Budney great review.

6. AJE

AJE Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Wirelessly posted (Mogul: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9751/209; U; en))

I figured as much. I guees it was more of wishful thinking on my part.

7. TommyB

TommyB Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #7 TommyB, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  8. TommyB

TommyB Member

Found it . . .

HTC Touch vs. Apple iPhone: 25-Minute Video Comparison

Opinions?

Best.
    TB

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Really interesting video comparison. I actually like both phones. Having a WM phone presently, I can understand what the reviewer was saying about 3rd party apps. But I have to say that the iPhone is slick.

I eventually want to get an iPhone, but I'd rather wait and see what new, updated version will come out (i.e.- 3G, larger capacity for those of us with monster iTunes collections, etc.).

10. TommyB

TommyB Member

The iphone sure is pretty. I'd maybe get one too, but I'm not into another 2yr deal w/att, plus the send away your phone to replace the battery just doesn't get it.

After seeing the video, I finally saw an actual Touch in person. Actually much nicer than it appears in the video (where imo - the screen looks blue & boring next to the apple). In person it looks & feels good.

Apple has the mose eyecatching looks, Touch the feel.

Best.
    TB

imo

#10 TommyB, Nov 30, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  11. AJE

AJE Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks for the link Tommy! That was a great side by side comparison. Like Mike said, being a WM user I understand where he is coming from. My feelings pretty much are the same as the reviewer. The iPhone browser blows away WM browser. Same with the media. It was nice to see the Touch in action, makes me want one now. Have to see if I can sweet talk my company into getting me one :D

12. cade2000

cade2000 New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl 8130
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Re: HTC Touch, few additions

I've seen the video, but another thing about the HTC Touch is that it is extremely customizable, including downloading an iPhone "theme" to make the home screen look just like it. Another con I had with it while I had it was the keys were extremely small, even when it was set to SureType mode. However, there is also a downloadable fix to this where you can download a keyboard to take up the entire screen and make it easier. Youtube will not work on the Touch unless you download a code for it, once that's done, it's very exceptional. The cube can however be accessed through any program and minimized just as easily. What makes the touch so much more productive is the fact that it's windows based and you can edit, save, and attach .doc and .xls files, a feature I have to pay much extra for my blackberry. Another thing though, it takes VERY good pictures and videos with its 2MP camera. The only issue I have with the Touch was that it crashed on me my first week. Sprint said it was a faulty phone, but I used to have a T-mobile MDA (also Windows) and that even occasionally froze up on me more than once a week or so.

13. littlepriest01

littlepriest01 Junior Member

I like HTC, I hope that VZW starts getting some more HTC love.