Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

HTC Touch Diamond - Pocket\Sprint

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Seanstock, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Seanstock

Seanstock New Member

Hello guys. I am currently a Sprint customer, but I'm wanting to upgrade to a new phone without having to purchase a phone for a higher cost or get another 2 year contract. My friend is selling a HTC Touch Diamond, thats branded by sprint (has the spring logo, etc), but he uses pockets service. Would it be possible to get the phone to work with Sprint again, and if so how? Or would it be a lost cost and a waste of money to buy the phone, if it wont work now that it was flashed to pocket?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. TnA2xXtReM

TnA2xXtReM Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, T-Mobile (Previous: Cingular/AT&T)
    Can you elaborate more on what 'pockets service' is? I'm guessing, but is that 'pockets service' thing you refer to has something to do with a software on the phone called 'Pocket Express'? If that is the case, you should have absolute no problem with activating it due this nature.

As a standard rule, you can activate only Sprint phones (no VZW phones) on the Sprint network. So, you nailed one down. Another thing to look for is that Sprint will NOT activate any phones listed as lost or stolen or account overdued phones. If your friend offer you a hard to beat off, might ask him/her about if it lost/stolen, etc. Better yet, it may be better if both of you call and activate the phone while at lunch.

3. Seanstock

Seanstock New Member

It's the phone service provider, called Pocket Communications, its pretty much exactly like Cricket, although if i'm not mistaken I believe they use different Networks. Unlimited Wireless - Pocket Communications

4. TnA2xXtReM

TnA2xXtReM Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I see. Well, in that case, I'm pretty sure that you can you that Sprint branded HTC Touch Diamond on your Sprint account/network. Sprint, for the most part, does not care what phone you use but it must be a Sprint branded phone. Other providers, like Verizon, are much more flexible; Verizon let you activate any phones, included Sprint's own, onto their network. Of course, it just have to be a CDMA phone.

So in case with your friend, I think he got that HTC Touch Diamond from Sprint or someone, but it was originally activated on the Sprint network and made for Sprint. I also assume that Pocket Communication is also flexible by letting anyone activate any phone onto their network, like Verizon. But to be on the safe side, I would recommend calling up Sprint and activate it onto the account prior to finalizing the transaction. Just make sure your friend is cool with that, as for you don't want to chase him down at a later time wanting a refund.

Good luck!
    Jason

5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    If the firmware was flashed to Pocket, Sprint may not activated it it. As TnA2xXtReM mentioned check with Sprint, it may be required to be flashed with the original Sprint firmware.
    Nope, sorry not true. :). Verizon will not let you activate just anyone else's CDMA phone on their network and certianly not a Sprint phone.; neither will US Cellular. In some instances if the phone is common betwween providers it may be possible to flash it with the new providers firmware.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Seanstock

Seanstock New Member

If the phone was flashed with pocket firmware, and sprint wont activiate it.. It would be possible to flash it with original sprint firmware? If so where would I find this software, just in case.

7. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Yes, I think it can be flashed back to the original Sprint Firmware.

Take a look here, you should be able to find some details.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  8. Seanstock

Seanstock New Member

Thanks so much. Appreciate it :)

9. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Glad I could help. Good luck I hope it all works out for you.

BTW, welcome to Wireless Advisor (better late than never :))

10. TnA2xXtReM

TnA2xXtReM Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Oops, yeah my bad. I think I read something about Verizon activating other carriers phone, but then they post all sort requirements which making it possible to activat non-Verizon phones.

If you do need to flash it back to the Sprint ROM, just make sure you unlock the device first if it is locked. In addition to Charlyee posted link to XDA forums, you can also try PPCGeeks as well.

11. Seanstock

Seanstock New Member

I'm not sure if it is unlocked or not, Is there any easy way to figure that out? Or would it just be best to unlock it even if it is unlocked already or not, just to be safe before installing the sprint software.

12. TnA2xXtReM

TnA2xXtReM Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    There is no problem unlocking a unlocked phone as for I used to do before as far as I know. I personally didn't know if the first unlock went through or not on my first try, but I tried it again anyhow (confirmed that I unlocked my TP1 twice). About checking to see if the phone is unlocked or not, I would press and hold the power & volume down button when the phone is off to load the tricolor screen (bootloader). If the bootloader says something SPL CMONEX, it is unlocked. However, There are many unlocking methods, but on the forum, you tend to use the CMONEX method.

But anyway, you just need to go to those sites and read and watch whatever video that it has to offer. Unlocking , flashing a ROM, etc can't be explain any better than what was posted out there. Just post back if you are stuck on something as for we all will examine it. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  13. Seanstock

Seanstock New Member

Thanks, Will do. :)

14. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    1 person likes this.
  15. Seanstock

Seanstock New Member

Quick update on the phone's status: I've got it unlocked, and flashed back to the original Sprint Firmware, had no issues there, and I've now also relocked the phone. Well it turns out when I go to call up Sprint to activate the phone, that the phone on their system is indeed report as Lost or Stolen. My imediate thought is, What the hell? -- I personally know that my friend that sold me the phone did not steal the phone, as I watched him orignally purchase it at the Pocket Communications store for something like 400+ dollars, Can't really remember. And it was, well atleast it apeared from what I could tell, to be a brand new phone, with all protective film on the phone still, etc, in the box and not opened, with all the accessories that are suppose to come in the box.

So now I'm trying to figure out what I can do. Isn't it illegal for the store to be selling items that are listed as stolen under another service provider (Sprint).

16. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Glad the flashing went well. :)

About your situation, that is new one on me. Off hand I can think of a few things that you could try.

1. Verify with your friend that he had not misplaced it and reported it stolen and later found out but forgot to inform the provider.
    2. Give Sprint another call ot better yet go into a Sprint Store, explain your situation and try it again in the off chance it was mistake the first time.
    3. If it still comes up stolen, go to the Pocket Communication Store that it was purchesed from, with your friend and see what they say. If your friend kept the original receipt then it would help matters a lot.
    Yes, it is definitely illegal for a provider to sell another provider's blacklisted phone, not to mention selling a phone as brand new when it is obviously not.

Good luck, hope it clears up for you.

17. Seanstock

Seanstock New Member

If I explain my situation honestly, telling sprint that this phone was previously on Pocket, and was flashed, etc. Wouldn't they then tell me that they wont activate it because it was flashed\used on another provider?

18. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Sorry, I was not clear. I meant tell Sprint that you know the person that you bought it from and when he bought it. Also tell them that as far as you could tell it was brand new complete with all the accessories and so you don't understand why it is black listed.

PS: I don't know anything about Pocket and actually I did not know of there existance until you mentioned them. I also don't know if it is their usual practice to flash Sprint Phones with their firmware and do they do this with Sprint's knowledge. For all I know, they might buy the phones from Sprint themselves. I realize they are a very small provider but it is highly unlikely they would sell a known blacklisted phone, I would think they check ESN before selling it as their own.

19. Seanstock

Seanstock New Member

Thats what I figure they do, buy them at retail and flash them to be used with their service. Pocket is a pretty small service provider, which so far only services the lower Texas area.. I believe they started in San Antonio. It's an OK provider, but personally I would like something that I would have service if I travel to other cities, etc.

My friend is going to check to make sure that the box that came with the phone, has the same ESN on the box, as the phone does under the battery.. Cause that would be a clear indicator.

Thanks for all the help so far.. If the ESN's do match up, I will take your advice and head to the nearest Sprint store to explain the situation as you mentioned.

20. TnA2xXtReM

TnA2xXtReM Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sorry to hear that you have to go through all these mess, but yeah, Charlyee's suggestion is the best way to go about this right now. About the whole flashing and unflashing your Diamond, just don,t tell Sprint anything about that and avoid handing them the phone if you haven't flashed it back to Sprint ROM and relocked it yet. Like any other phones, including iPhones, you should restore/flash everything up to normal as for it would void your warranty and any future services even if you have TEP through Sprint. Basically they will add another note on that ESN that it has been internally modified and any representatives seeing those note can reject you.

About 'cleaning' the ESN, I found this thread that may help you understand your situation a little bit. Anyway, here is a good couple of points you can check: 1) See if the box and phone has same ESN and 2) Check your friend's receipt for the date he purchased the phone and the date Sprint claimed that the phone was report lost/stolen.

Keep us updated and wish you all the luck.

1 person likes this.
  21. Seanstock

Seanstock New Member

Thanks alot TnA2xXtReM.. Yeah, I've already flashed it back to the original sprint ROM, and relocked the phone. I did that all before calling and trying to activate the phone. I will keep you guys updated on what happens, you guys are very helpful. This is my first time having to deal with this sort of thing (Flashing phones, etc.. And now this Lost\Stolen issue).

22. TnA2xXtReM

TnA2xXtReM Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Not a problem and good to hear you done the modst critical step prior to activating the phone. I guess we all learn from our mistakes or reading others, but I forgot (or didn't thought about it) to tell you to do your transaction at a Sprint store as for they can or can not activate your phone on the spot. Maybe that is a good thing to do in the future if you have to deal with a complete stranger.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong.. I believe that ESN blacklisting has something to do with a single carrier? Like if the phone was report as lost/stolen on Sprint and Sprint then blacklisted the phone. Although it was BSed by Sprint, Pocket Wireless doesn't have access to Sprint profile. Which mean you can activate it on the Pocket Wireless without any issue if it has their software in there? If that is the case with your situation, there is definately something fishy with the place you got your phone claimed 'brand new'.

23. Seanstock

Seanstock New Member

Alright quick update again. Well, it turns out that on the box, the phones S/N and ESN's etc, all match up with whats on the box. Which is somewhat good news. Thankfully that my friend kept the receipt, and after taking a look at it I noticed that there was a ESN Change Fee of 10$ added to the total cost. So, the phone was changed to a different ESN....

24. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks for the update :)

One correction, the ESN change fee is charged by the provider to change the ESN on the account from the old phone's to that of the new one. It is not changing the ESN of the phone itself, which as a matter of fact is illegal & almost impossible to do.

What are the next steps now?

25. Seanstock

Seanstock New Member

Oh ok. I was about to go drop a lawsuit on Pocket Communications :p... I'm trying to think what the next step will be.

26. Seanstock

Seanstock New Member

Being a Sprint customer currently, and having a Sprint phone (LG Rumor).. I've read that its 'possible' if worst comes to worst, that you can actually swap ESN's etc, from lets say my Rumor, to the Diamond. Is that true? I know its against the law, but if worst comes to worst, I'm trying to think of what options I have.

27. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I believe "ESN Swap" is the same as "ESN Change". It is not changing or swapping the ESN number on the phone itself, just on your account.

28. Seanstock

Seanstock New Member

Ah ok. So I take it it's not possible to actually swap them on the phone itself?

29. TnA2xXtReM

TnA2xXtReM Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    If I understand you correctly, you are trying to 'clone' your Rumor ESN onto the Diamond. By doing that, both your Diamond and Rumor has the same ESN. IF that's what you trying to do, I personal never tried that and don't know of its results. I can certainly help you with the research later tonight if you looking for this route. But for certain, I don't think this is legal at all so, we'll see then.

On a side note, you can dial ##778# and press view to triple check that the information about the ESN on that screen matches the box and the back of the phone. When you at it, you can view many things like ROM information, manufacturers/refurbishment date, and other essential things about your phone.

But all in all, you should definately check with a local Sprint manager and plead your case there. If the manager is helpful, he/she can clean out your bad ESN.. but the process is very long and require many calls back and forth between them and corporate. Well, just test your luck and keep trying :)

30. Seanstock

Seanstock New Member

Yeah. I've already checked the EPST (##778#) and everything matches up. So I'm really at a loss for words as to why it's reported Lost\Stolen.

Refurbishment Status - No
    Manufacturers Date - November 16th 2008
    Original Activation Date - March 2nd 2009

The activation date listed in the phone is the same day that the phone was purchased from Pocket Communications, says so right on the receipt

On another note, I do wish that there was a way to reset the Lifetime Call Count, Timer, etc.