Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

HTC Pure first impressions

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows Mobile Phones' started by Jay2TheRescue, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Well, I got the call today. My local store had an HTC Pure, and it was mine if I wanted it. I went in, compared it to my TIlt, and the dummy Tilt 2 that they had. I determined that since I never text, that trading the hardware keyboard for a 5MP camera might be a good thing.

Pros: Looks nice, small (compared to the Tilt and other WinMo devices I've had in the past). Suprisingly the on screen keyboard works pretty well with my fat fingers. The 5MP camera takes nice, clear pictures with nice color.

Cons: I've discovered that the integrated FM radio only works with a corded headset - not with Bluetooth. A dissapointment, but so far the only one. I'll report more when I have a chance to really play with it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  2. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Another downside I heard Jay is it does not have a 3.5 mm headset jack.

3. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Can't wait to hear more about it Jay. :cool:

The on screen KB on my TP2 is very nice, the bigger screen and better sensitivity helps a lot compared to the TP & Diamond. Dosen't surpise me about the FM Radio, most radios work that way.

4. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Dang, you're right! Both my Treo Pro and TP2 have one, and it's a great feature. I don't have to mess with adapters, and I don't have to worry about Bluetooth sucking the life out of my battery. :)

5. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    It came with a dongle that has a headset jack, another mystery jack, and a USB jack, presumably so you can charge it while listening to the wired headset. I guess I could look in the paperwork and figure out what all the holes are for.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    IMO the 3.5mm headset jack should be a standard feature, after my experience with the iPhone I am still not a big fan of the touch screen keyboard.

7. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Yeah, I haven't had that much of a problem with the on screen keyboard. If I was a texter the keyboard may bother me.

8. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    The little dongle is probably like the one for my fuze, basically a Y cable to charge, video out and head phones.

I thought HTC or I should say ATT considering other carriers offer the head phone jack on their models would have caught on.

WM 6.5 and Manilla 2.5 are pretty slick on the new HTC phones. You got your work cut out for you Jay. Manilla is a pain in the ____ to mod, at least the pure and Tilt 2 come with a decent Theme. ATTs themes for the Fuze was gay at best. Who in the hell came up with the white on gray theme?

I also hate the slide to answer as its glitchy.

9. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    As soon as I decide that I'm not going to trade it for a TIlt 2, I'm going to put a Dutty ROM on it.

10. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    Jay,

Its been a week how you making out? When I upgrade beginning of next year I need to decide whether to get the Pure or Tilt.

How do you like the transistion from a tilt to a HTC with touchflo 3d?

11. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I was planning to do a big update anyway today...

Appearance: The phone looks great (when clean). The glossy black finish is a fingerprint magnet. I'm wishing it was a matte black.

Battery life: I've been using the phone for 49 hours so far on a single charge. I have 80% life remaining. I've had Bluetooth on the whole time. The best the Tilt has done lately is about 30 hours.

Signal strength, Call clarity: It works well, with excellent reception and clarity. My only issue is that when operating in the edge of 3G service, that it attempts to hold the 3G network too long. There was a stretch of about 3 miles the other day that I could not make a call because the phone was too busy showing 3G with no bars. When it finally gave up I had full bars with EDGE. Maybe I can tweak this threshhold somehow? XDA here I come...

Speakerphone: The speakerphone is much better than with the Tilt. On the Tilt the speaker was on the bottom, which was somewhat of a problem when putting the phone down (As is often done when using the speaker). The sound ended up being muffled by the table, couch, bed... whatever you put it on. With the Pure, the speaker is on the side, so putting the phone down is not an issue. (This also applies to ringtone volume as well)

On screen keyboard: The on screen keyboard is pretty accurate, despite the best efforts of my large fingers. I'm not really missing the hardware keyboard much.

Camera: The 5MP camera takes great pictures. Its a huge improvement over the 3MP camera the TIlt has. My only complaint is the Pure does not have a hardware shutter button on the side. The shutter button is on screen. This is still a bit awkard to use, but eventually I guess I will get used to it.

Setting calendar appointments: This is more of a Windows issue than a Pure issue, but I will post it. I had problems setting up my work schedule. On days I work, I work from 7AM to 8:30PM. I also have the phone set to use the 24 hour clock, as I got used to it being a civillian employee of the USMC for 10 years. I'd enter my start time as 0700, but when I entered my end time as 2030, it would change my start time to 1900. It did this to me several times. If I'm using a 24 hour clock I don't need the :censored: phone to convert 12 hour time to 24 hour time. I had to switch the phone to the 12 hour clock to enter my work schedule.

Touch Flo 3D: Not much different than what I had installed on my Tilt. I don't remember if I had installed Touch Flo 3D on my Tilt or not. Anyway there was no learning curve. It works a bit better, but not much different.

I am strongly considering putting a cooked ROM on the phone, so I have not done much in the way of hacking, tweaking, or installing applications.

12. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Battery update: 76 hours, 50% remaining.

13. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I just got my low battery warning, so I'm plugging in. I got about 87 hours in since I've charged it. Pretty good for a Windows Mobile device that gets used as much as I use my phones.

14. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

That is very impressive battery life standby time. What was the corresponding 'usage' time, i.e. hours that the phone was in use (calls, gps, music, whatever)?

Not too linear in the meter scale, but I'm sure that will change.
    [​IMG]

15. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Well, I didn't run it till total failure. It looked like there was about 15%-20% of the battery indicator left when I got the notification & plugged in. The phone does have an information tab under the battery settings that's supposed to tell you how much talk time/standby time/total time since your last full charge, but it doesn't sem to work right. It starts counting when I unplug the phone, but when I woke up this morning all counters had reset to zero. Maybe this is something I can look into figuring out on XDA. Anyway - from looking on my OLAM I've had about an hour of talk time (which is low for me). I did have a lot of game playing. I've become addicted to the "teeter" game where you tilt the phone to try and get a ball through a maze. I haven't had any GPS usage yet as I'm not going through the long process of installing TomTOm until I either hack this ROM to my pleasing, or I install a new ROM.

16. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Well, I did a hard reset today. For some reason after I've used Bluetooth, and then disconnected the headset the phone will only vibrate on incoming calls, despite the fact that the ring selected is "vibrate & ring". Plus, the phone has died quickly on BT calls twice now. One instance I unplugged the phone from the charger, started a call on BT, and 15 minutes later I got a low battery warning. Hopefully the hard reset will resolve those issues. If not I was going to pick out a nice cooked ROM anyway, I'll just do that a bit sooner. I wanted to see how the phone behaved on a stock ROM first.

I'll keep everyone posted.

-Jay

17. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I love all the adjustments you can make with the camera settings. This is a picture I took last night of my niece at my mom & dad's house.

[​IMG]