Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

HTC Hero or Samsung Moment...What is your opinion?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Esperanza, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Esperanza

Esperanza New Member

My Phone:
    SAMSUNG MOMENT
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SPRINT
    Hello fellow Sprint users,

I am trying to decide on a new phone. I would like any feedback from those of you who have the HTC Hero or Samsung Moment.

I know I want a Google Android phone but still doing the pro/con research. The salespeople in the store have not been pro about one over the other.

I have been to the store to test(a salesperson showed me their phone) but I would like user feedback.

Thank you in advance if you respond,
    Esperanza

2. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    For me, it came down to wanting a real keyboard, so I went with the Moment.

The Moment has a better display and the processor on the moment is about twice as fast as the processor on the Hero too (probably not a big deal now, but when the 2.1 Android update is released, a better processor might be handy).

The Hero has a better form factor and a better camera.

In the end, I think it will come down to a keyboard vs. no keyboard issue. Depsite the better specs on the Moment, if I could deal with touchscreen only, I would probably have selected the Hero. I need a real keyboard though, so the Moment won.

Also, if your current phone uses the standard micro-USB port (and I think the VE20 does), than all your chargers will work with the Moment. The Hero uses the weird HTC port, so standard accessories won't work unless the phone ships with an adapter.

Also, I have found that in order to get a full day of battery life on the Moment, I need to disable GPS/location. It is easy enough to re-enable when you are using a Navigation or map program though.

3. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    I recently did some research in preparation for possible replacement of my MotoQ. What I noticed was that the HERO didn't seem to respond to key presses as quickly as the Moment, taking what seemed to be a second or two between pressing a number and seeing the number on screen. This may have simply been related to that phone, or the location of the Sprint store I was in, however I would recommend testing responsiveness before making any selection since this, at least for me, would really become a bother.

4. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I really like the Moment. Like the poster above, I wanted the real keyboard. If you'd prefer a thinner phone, then go with the Hero. I'm really happy with the camera except for the shutter lag, but that's typical on phones.

There is an issue with aGPS on the Moment. When it's on, Google Maps has placed me in China and Greece. You have to turn it off and just use the real GPS, so you lose some accuracy for your location (e.g. Sprint Navigator won't always tell you to turn in time). However, I understand that's due to Android 1.5 not really being written for CDMA. HTC created their own patch for the Hero. The upgrade to 2.1 (due before June 30) should fix that.

5. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The GPS issue has been corrected with the latest Moment software update. The bad thing is that you can only get the update at a Sprint Store with a repair center.

6. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yeah, I just read about that and was going to update my post. Thanks. This shouldn't be an issue for the OP, since she should get it if she opts for the Moment.

Now I've got to drive to a Sprint store.

7. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Note that many of the inventory on hand at Sprint stores has not had the software update yet. I got mine new from Sprint last week and it needed the update.

8. Esperanza

Esperanza New Member

My Phone:
    SAMSUNG MOMENT
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SPRINT
    I am glad for all the feedback. I am still on the fence about a couple of things as well as the price(looking for a discount or may change my plan to save). I will make another store visit to test both keypads again to see which I like better.

Thanks everyone,
    Esperanza