Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

HSDPA question

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Gabriel, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Gabriel

Gabriel TICUS AD MORTEM

My Phone:
    Motorola v551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    i was reading a bit about HSDPA in the gsm association web page (www.gsmworld.com) and accourding to their description, HSDPA sounds more like a 4g technology that an addition to UMTS/3g.

it seems that with HSDPA we will get seeps as fast as cable internet, which is huge for a cellphone. this way things like video calling will be as fast as actually watching TV.

how is HSDPA different from an eventuual 4g?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

Because it's (HSDPA) considered a software up-grade instead of software/hardware. Also, there is no 4G standard as of yet. There are several competing to be one but nothing has been approved.;)

3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    HSDPA won't pass the test for 4G. Just remember that you were reading from gsmworld.com so obviously they would want to inflate things to make them sound more impressive. Some say HSDPA is 3.5G, but after being deceived over and over again by these technonogy hypes, I rather be conservative and say HSDPA won't be any more than just another 3G technology.

HSDPA promises speeds tops of 14Mbps, but when have you seen any technology reach its peak speed? Don't forget GPRS promised 114kbps, 1xRTT promised 153kbps, EDGE promised 384kbps with bursts of 2mbps an so far none of this has happend and will never happen. At this time HSDPA has proven live commercial speeds of just over 1mbps with more speed improvements coming. I'm not holding my breath on seeing this reach anywhere near 10mbps by the time 4G comes around.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...