Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

How to unlock an AT&T phone??

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by xsansangirlx, Apr 18, 2002.

1. xsansangirlx

xsansangirlx New Member

How to unlock an AT&T phone??

Hey everyone

I was wondering if anyone knows how to go about getting the Nokia 8390 phone for AT&T unlocked. I bought it off of ebay fully intending to use it w/ AT&T, but when I called customer care to activate it, they said that they don't have GSM service here on the east coast! They said that they can't get me the unlock code because that would completely defeat the purpose of HAVING an unlock code... ::sigh:: The recommended that I just WAIT til they have service here. HA! [​IMG] I don't want to have to go SELL the phone right after I just got it, so if any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! [​IMG]

~-~-Denise~-~-

2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Well, Denise I hate to tell you this but basically you are screwed. If AT&T won't give you the unlock codes and GSM service with them isn't avaible for you yet then they are correct you will have to sell the phone or wait until AT&T GSM comes there and you can activate it. This is why I recommend against buying a phone from Ebay with unlock codes and different incompatible technologies in the US this happens to many users that buy a phone from them.

3. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    tndan

may people buy good phones from ebay

Try to call back and get a different rep and see what happens

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Try Voicestrem...they run GSM here.

5. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    You can't do that VoiceStream doesn't have AT&T's unlock codes only they know it and on an unactivated phone AT&T will not give out the codes to unlock the phone. Sell the phone or wait for AT&T GSM thats about all you can do, I myself would try to sell the phone and maybe get back some of my money from my loss.

6. xsansangirlx

xsansangirlx New Member

Hey thanks for all the advice you guys! I think I'm going to head over to the dealership in person tomorrow after class and try to dig it out of the guy there. And if I'm really really lucky, I may get it, but if not, yeah...I'll sell it. (Hay, anyone want this phone?!? [​IMG] ) As for now, I'm scouring the net for that ONE person who might have the code...

7. opeijasdl

opeijasdl New Member

how much will you sell it for?

8. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That sucks that you can't use the phone that you like because AT&T is greedy about the code. I don't see what the point is since you can always get the same phone from Voicestream. You can either buy a 3360 or a 3390 from Ebay. They are basically the same phone but the 3360 will work with TDMA systems (AT&T in this area) and the 3390 will work with Voicestream. Just make sure you read what provider the phone works with or else ask the seller before you buy anything.

One thing I like about Cingular is that they don't lock their phones so they work with any TDMA carrier you choose. At least that's wherever Cingular uses TDMA.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. xsansangirlx

xsansangirlx New Member

Heyhey!

I decided not to sell the phone because the ATT people I talked to told me that GSM service for boston would commence in the fall. Since I'm nto gonna be needing a phone for the summer anyway, I figure I might as well just wait it out til the fall and activate it then.

10. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Glad you made your decision and that we were able to help

Jack

11. xsansangirlx

xsansangirlx New Member

Hmm...

I was walking around shopping in Hong Kong today when I really bothered looking at the ppl out on the streets who offer to do services for ppl's phones. I talked to this one guy about my problem and asked him whether he could perhaps unlock phones. He seemed to know what he was talking about and told me to bring him the phone for him to check out. He didn't make any promises, but let's just say if I do show him my phone tomorrow and if he does say he can do it....what do you guys think? Any input would be nice....

(I know I was saying I'd wait til the fall for ATT...but what if the GSM thing is postponed...as so many systems always are??)

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Go to http://mobile.box.sk
    They have lots of info about hacking GSM phones. If you can't find the model of your phone, usually the instructions for a similar model will work. Let us know if you unlock it.

13. xsansangirlx

xsansangirlx New Member

I won't somehow accidentally screw up my phone by following the instructions, will I?

14. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Just make sure you write down the original settings just in case. You can always put them back.

15. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Let us know how it goes

Jack

16. xsansangirlx

xsansangirlx New Member

Halloo people!

Well, the guy I went to today couldn't unlock the phone for me...he had the equipment and stuff, but it didn't fit the 8390. [​IMG] And thanks for the site, bobolito, but I couldn't find anything that would work with my phone...i suppose it's just too new to have anything out on it quite yet.

I think there should be the option of buying phones that aren't locked to any one carrier... I mean, yeah, it would be more expensive I suppose, but at least you would have the freedom to switch services if you even found a better deal... But that's just my two cents on the matter...[​IMG]

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Do NOT count on AT&T to unlock their handset for you, GSM or not. I would have done research before purchasing the second hand unit off ebay, the issue is not ebay handsets being unusable but rather of uninformed amateaur cellular consumers unaware of the intricacies of equipment subsidy-locks imposed by certain carriers. As for AT&T, they generally burn their SOC codes into the TDMA handsets, and more than likely apply a similar approach for their GSM models. They want users owning 'their' equipment to utilize THEIR Service, rather than 3rd parties. Voicestream, on the other hand, does not have any qualms with disclosing their unlock codes. In fact, I would say this is a reflection of their GSM oriented service as they are more concerned with your utilizing their sim chip to access airtime more than what kind of handset you're using. I beleive Cingular has a similar approach to GSM as well, they definately do not lock their TDMA handsets either.

18. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    AT&T and Sprint are greedy...

19. Guest

Guest Guest

It's not that Att and sprint are greedy. Non-certified and unapproved devices can have negative impacts on the network and customers if not appropriately optimized for it. (WAP Browser configurations, GPRS settings). GSM equipment is built for different GSM networks all across the globe. These networks are built on different frequencies and with different configurations. Carriers work directly with the manufacturers on the equipment they sell. Therefore, if equipment has not been tested and approved, it is likely that the phone may not work on the carriers network. Configurations for non-certified carrier specific phones may be different from certified phones, thereby generating calls into customer care regarding issues that may not be able to be resolved. While equipment may function on the network, there are many versions of software that cause equipment to interact with the network and applications in different ways. Neither customer care nor any distribution channel have the ability to comprehend the functionality and obtain programming for all devices.

Josh

20. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I dont know about AT&T phones, but a Sprint phone is easy to use on another network, just have to call to activate it, and they will give you the code, just write it down and you can do anything you want with it. I am using a Sprint Kyocera 6035 on Verizon prepay.

21. Guest

Guest Guest

not that Att and sprint are greedy. Non-certified and unapproved devices can have negative impacts on the network and customers if not appropriately optimized for it. (WAP Browser configurations, GPRS settings). GSM equipment is built for different GSM networks all across the globe. These networks are built on different frequencies and with different configurations. Carriers work directly with the manufacturers on the equipment they sell. Therefore, if equipment has not been tested and approved, it is likely that the phone may not work on the carriers network. Configurations for non-certified carrier specific phones may be different from certified phones, thereby generating calls into customer care regarding issues that may not be able to be resolved. While equipment may function on the network, there are many versions of software that cause equipment to interact with the network and applications in different ways. Neither customer care nor any distribution channel have the ability to comprehend the functionality and obtain programming for all devices.

-------
    Nonsense, ATT wants subscriber's handsets to lock onto THEIR SOC rather than having to pay roaming fees for their voluntary using third party TDMA towers that may provide better signals, or AMPS for that matter in remote areas (ask anyone who uses ATT and they'll vouch for their handsets having problems getting AMPS when in non-digital areas). GSM does not operate under the same guise as TDMA., the handsets are interchangeable via SIM technology therefore it is irrelevant for carriers like AT&T to force users onto any piece of equipment or to be ____ about releasing subsidy locks. Another issue is AT&T's ____ attitude about GSM handsets, which ultimately puts them in the backfield when it comes to international compatibility by denying users the RIGHT to insert prepaid SIMS while traveling abroad. Nevertheless, as a GSM subscriber to AT&T (which I am not), mah bell cannot refuse connection if I were to insert their SIM into say an unlocked handset used on Voicestream or Cingular. Although I don't subscribe to Voicestream, I'm glad they are more internationally compatible with GSM than ATT.

22. xsansangirlx

xsansangirlx New Member

Nonsense, ATT wants subscriber's handsets to lock onto THEIR SOC rather than having to pay roaming fees for their voluntary using third party TDMA towers that may provide better signals, or AMPS for that matter in remote areas (ask anyone who uses ATT and they'll vouch for their handsets having problems getting AMPS when in non-digital areas). GSM does not operate under the same guise as TDMA., the handsets are interchangeable via SIM technology therefore it is irrelevant for carriers like AT&T to force users onto any piece of equipment or to be ____ about releasing subsidy locks. Another issue is AT&T's ____ attitude about GSM handsets, which ultimately puts them in the backfield when it comes to international compatibility by denying users the RIGHT to insert prepaid SIMS while traveling abroad. Nevertheless, as a GSM subscriber to AT&T (which I am not), mah bell cannot refuse connection if I were to insert their SIM into say an unlocked handset used on Voicestream or Cingular. Although I don't subscribe to Voicestream, I'm glad they are more internationally compatible with GSM than ATT.
    -------

Here here, I agree.

Does anyone know whether I can activate my phone from Cali when I go there for vacation in July? Not only activate it, but activate it under my Boston area code number. I'll just explain that I dun care if I have to pay roaming or what not, but I just wanna have a phone that I can use while I'm in the states...

23. Guest

Guest Guest

whether I can activate my phone from Cali when I go there for vacation in July? ------------> What phone model/brand?

Not only activate it, but activate it under my Boston area code number.------------> No, number portability is not available yet, you would have to activate it with a California Area Code (assuming you're going to be in California) relative to your home billing address.

I'll just explain that I dun care if I have to pay roaming or what not, but I just wanna have a phone that I can use while I'm in the states.---> Are you a US Resident? If not, then you cannot open a post-paid account and will have to resort to PrePay.

24. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    xsansangirlx: I am not sure I understood your situation. Please answer the following questions so we can better help you:

Do you have a cellphone with a Boston area code already activated?

When you say Cali, are you talking about California? or Cali, Colombia?

Do you live in Boston? If not, what city/state do you live?

25. Guest

Guest Guest

""Nonsense, ATT wants subscriber's handsets to lock onto THEIR SOC rather than having to pay roaming fees for their voluntary using third party TDMA towers that may provide better signals, or AMPS for that matter in remote areas (ask anyone who uses ATT and they'll vouch for their handsets having problems getting AMPS when in non-digital areas).""

Wow!!!!, did you not read my post correctly. What are you talking about. This is a whole different thread buddy. ( I talk to lots of people a day that use ATT including myself, and none of them have that problem)

""GSM does not operate under the same guise as TDMA., the handsets are interchangeable via SIM technology therefore it is irrelevant for carriers like AT&T to force users onto any piece of equipment or to be ____ about releasing subsidy locks""

"Irrelevant","____".......Maybe If all carriers were full 3g. Like I said, While non-tested equipment MAY function on the network, there are many versions of software that cause non-tested equipment to interact with the network and applications in different ways, which can definantly cause problems. Now, I do know that AT&T Wireless is exploring the possibility of allowing a broad range of GSM/GPRS phones on thier network in the future that are not carrier specific, but untill then, your SOL.

Josh

26. xsansangirlx

xsansangirlx New Member

Okay, well, THAT question caused a lot of confusion!! Lemme try to clear that up.

First of all, I'm an international student. Permanent address: Hong Kong. I go to university in Boston. I DO have a cell phone for when I'm in the States, with a Boston area code.

Now, I just bought a new Nokia 8390. I wanna ditch the old phone, and activate this new 8390 under the same number. However, I haven't been able to do that yet because ATT boston hasn't brought GSM there yet. But I've heard ATT in Cali (yes, california) has GSM implemented....so instead of switching to my new phone in Boston, can I do it in CA??

I'm assuming I can, b/c when I called up Customer Service while in Boston, the person was like, "well, we COULD switch it for you...it's just that you wouldn't have any service on your SIM phone as you're in an area without such a service..."

So, thanks, u guys!

27. Guest

Guest Guest

But I've heard ATT in Cali (yes, california) has GSM implemented....so instead of switching to my new phone in Boston, can I do it in CA??

-----

Basically you want to use the GSM phone while within the California region while still retaining TDMA over in Boston? Or are you relocating to California and would rather have ATT's GSM service? I would recommend staying with your TDMA service since your present home market, assuming you are living there and do not plan to leave in the short term, is not implemented into GSM. As for the 8390, being it's an ATT phone, you would not be able to insert a voicestream sim and use it in the states unless you have some creative person reprogram the phone (you'd have a better chance of that happening in asia than on US soil).

28. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    What model is the old phone? I have to assume the old phone is TDMA since you have service in Boston with AT&T. If you want to use your GSM phone (8390), you have to buy AT&T service where AT&T sells GSM assuming the phone is unlocked or is already an AT&T phone. This means you'll have to get a different phone number. Now, if you must change your phone but want to keep your Boston number, you have to get a TDMA phone because AT&T is TDMA in Boston. In this case you can make the change at an AT&T store or over the phone.

29. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG] Even if You unlock that phone for AT&T Wireless they will need an approved phone first to provision it on the account at the start of Service.If You consider AT&T Wireless as a service provider You might want to look for an Ericsson T68 or T68i which works on all MHz ( 1900 US and 900/1800 MHz international)freqenzies.