Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

How to remove pre-installed bloatware, the easy way!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows Mobile Phones' started by Jay2TheRescue, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    This was just passed on to me yesterday, and I had to post this. It came from an article on the AT&T Tilt, but my guess is it will probably work on any Windows Mobile device.

Backup everything on the device itself that you don't want lost. Pictures, emails, ringtones, games, etc. When we are done it will be just like it came out of the box brand new, minus the bloatware. Items on the storage card are safe.

Go to Start/Settings. Click the tab at the bottom that says System.

Click "Clear Storage" Enter "1234" and click yes.

Device will reboot

When it comes back up it will ask you to setup the device, align screen, set clock, etc. AS SOON AS THAT IS DONE a text box will pop up saying software install will begin in 3 seconds. Soft reset the phone by pressing the reset button on the bottom of the phone with the stylus before the install begins.

Device will reboot again. When it comes back up it will be without bloatware. Reinstall any applications, settings, and hacks that you had previously.

I had to re-run Kaiser Tweak so I could re-enable HSDPA, and a few other minor hacks I had enabled. I also had to reinstall TomTom, but that is easy. All you have to do for that is to remove and reinsert the storage card and it does the rest all by itself. I will need to re-install Opera Mini as well.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. azcellphonejunkie

azcellphonejunkie The Cell Phone Junkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
    Not on every device, but on the TIlt, yes. Most HTC devices do the same CAB loading process for the "bloatware", where as others like palm have it preinstalled in the ROM that force you to do some additional digging to get all of this stuff out.

Good explanation though!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AJE

AJE Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks for the tip Jay, I will have to remember that in the future.

4. Identity Fraud

Identity Fraud New Member

I hope no one minds me bumping this topic, but since it's not off the front page I figured I'd rather not make a new thread.

I just got the tilt, so now I'm trying to learn about it and customize it (becuase to be honest, so far I find it sort of buggy and hard to use). So I tried to remove the extra garbage that comes on the phone. I never saw any reset button on the bottom of the screen after I set up the time, I saw the "automatically configuring device" window pop up and on the very bottom of the task bar was just the keyboard icon.

I was wondering what I'm not seeing?

Thanks everyone.

5. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    The reset button you are looking for is not on the screen. It is a hardware button on the phone. Look on the bottom of your Tilt. At approximately the 2 o'clock position from the USB port you will see a small hole. This is the reset switch I am speaking of. It is activated by inserting the stylus into the hole and pushing with moderate force.

-Jay

6. Identity Fraud

Identity Fraud New Member

Thanks, I was looking on the bottom and wasn't sure if it'd be a physical button. So what does it remove anyways? After I do this I'm going to instal the update ROM you linked me too. I hope it speeds this phone up.

7. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    The button does a soft reset, like when you reboot your PC. However, in the installation process when you do a hard reset you are reinstalling the software like you formatted your hard drive and reinstalled windows. Soft-resetting when the text box pops up stops the installation of the pre-installed software that almost nobody uses. This frees up extra memory so the phone can run faster.

-Jay

8. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Most newer HTC devices are like that, with the carrier extras. But the HTC and MS extras are in the ROM it self. I have been slowy cleaning my Touch ROM out, it has been fun and a lot of work. :)