Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

How to combine 2 numbers?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by shqipo, Oct 19, 2015.

1. shqipo

shqipo New Member

I have had my private cell phone number for many years (T-Mobile), and everyone knows it. In addition, I have a side business and I have that number everywhere. They gave me a cell phone at my day job (ATT). I carried 2 cell phones around for a few months but it's getting too much now. Plus my private cell phone is in need of replacement.

How can I combine both? I know there are phones with 2 SIM cards but that's not an option at this moment because the phone they gave me at work doesn't have 2 slots.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

2. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
  3. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    You can keep one of the phones and port the other phone's number to Google Voice.
    http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html
    Then install the Google Voice app on the phone. You can then make and receive calls on either number.
    One issue I run into with that setup is that is for texts, it can be confusing which number texts are going in and out on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    shqipo likes this.
  4. shqipo

shqipo New Member

Yes, most likely I can forward. Problem is when I call from my new phone, I'd like them to see I'm calling from my private number, not the work one.

5. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    The one thing I don't like about Google Voice is that you get an extra popup before a number completes dialing. You have to choose between dialing with or without Google voice. I frequently use my voice to dial numbers (e.g. "Call wife") but I still have to look at the phone and make that final selection before the dialing proceeds. I haven't figured out a way around that.

shqipo likes this.
  6. shqipo

shqipo New Member

Thank you JFB. I've never used GV. So when I set up GV, I can pick which number I want it to use? And then what should I tell the current carrier (Tmobile)? Transfer the number out of them?

So texts will not show when they come from? At all? Or will it show as coming from the main (work) number? Hm. I guess I'll have to deal with that then.

7. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Though with texts, to use the Google Voice number, you go to the app itself. I've made the mistake of forgetting to do this and accidentally sending it from my main number instead of GV.

You get a pop-up if the setting for Google Voice is on "Ask every time I make a call". For Android, there is a shortcut toggle icon that can be added to the home screen to change this option (the other toggle options being "use for international calls only", "use Google Voice for every call", and "Do not use GV for any calls" or roughly worded to those effects). I actually liked the "Ask every time..." option because I wanted to choose when to use GV. (KJ, I know you know this already. I went into detail for shqipo).

shqipo, here's what you need to know: there is a minimal charge to port a number into Google Voice. It probably would be best to port your long-time personal number into the service. If you have Android, there are more options and integration for how the app works on the smartphone than with Apple. If you have Apple, you use the app directly for outbound calls and incoming/outgoing text messages. No popup choice option for Apple as with Android. You can begin the port process directly through the Google Voice web page and it will step you through it. Do not contact the carrier you are porting the number out from. Let Google handle the port. Forgot to mention you will need a Gmail account first (if you don't already have one. Your ported number will be tied to that Google account).

Go to Google Voice on a web browser and review settings. I would recommend activating the Call Screening option for all calls as well as setting your GV number to show up on caller ID for calls coming in on that number. You'll know that number is being used and before you answer, you will hear the name of the caller announced to you, so you will know who it is. I use this feature all the time and I love it.

I would recommend checking out the GV web page to get familiar with how it works. It is really easy and quite customizable once you get used to it. You can also have your work number voice mail shifted to GV as well (if your work allows it). That way you have one place for voice mails. It's a great option.

You can tell which number is being texted because, with Android, the GV icon will show up in the notification area. If you get messages to your main phone number, that message will show up as normal. If you have Apple. as long as you have notifications, banners, and app icons on, you'll see the notification come up just like any other on the phone.

There's a lot more info about this I can share, so if you have more questions, just ask. If anything is confusing, let me know. I use GV ALL the time and am VERY familiar with it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    charlyee and JFB like this.
  8. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    There are some issues with GV; as Kevin James mentioned every time you place a call, a pop-up asks to choose to use GV or not.
    When you port (transfer) a number from a carrier it should automatically cause the carrier to cancel the service. (You should double check after the porting.)

The texts thing is something I've never quite figured out and can be annoying.
    Some things I've noticed:
    - I haven't found a way to choose which number to send a text out on.
    - Texts that come in through GV may show as coming from different numbers; not the sender's number.
    - Occasionally I'm told texts with pictures sent to my GV have not gone through.

The upsides are:
    - GV is free
    - If you don't like it, you can always port that GV number back out to another phone/carrier.
    - It can be a good way to hold on to a number at no monthly cost.

FYI - I'm using an Android smartphone, so I can't say how this would work if at all on iPhones.

#8 JFB, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  9. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    I see @M in LA posted the same time as me. Very good info in his post. He is right, there is a charge for porting a number. $10? Looks like I can fix some of my own issues by digging into the settings again. :p

M in LA likes this.
  10. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Thank you, Joe. I couldn't remember if the port fee was still $10, so I left it at "nominal" :)