Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

How is the battery life of your Smartphone - Please post

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by charlyee, Jul 4, 2013.

1. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    A battery with the capacity that exceeds that of the original?

2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I think that Charlyee means there are iPhone battery cases, that look somewhat like the Seido S4 battery (both have a hole for the camera). The only difference is that it doesn't replace the original battery. The Morphie Juice Pack plugs into the iPhone battery port to double the battery capacity. I have a truly external pack that can be used with any device: kindle, iPhone, iPad, any Android phone.

Personally, I'm liking the external kind better, since they can be used for more devices. Once the S5 comes out, it may have a different shape so that $79 battery is useless. That is what happened to my iPhone 4 Morphie and all of my Nokia batteries.

BTW is Nokia pronounced Knock kia ? or No kia

1 person likes this.
  3. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks vf for the battery explanations. :)

I believe I read somewhere that the pronunciation of Nokia is closer to knock ya than no kia.

So I am going to leave my phone on again for tonight and see what the background usage is and if I have that unusual drop in the morning. So here is what it says now:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375761257.184142.jpg

Sent From My iPhone 5 Using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I've always though of these as external charging packs. Do they not charge the internal battery? Anyway, the less times I plug something into that somewhat flimsy connector, the better ;)

I also don't follow the S5 making the battery useless or which $79 battery you're talking about. I don't see what S5 coming out has to do with my S4 battery :confused:. And the prices on the S4 extended batteries are within $40 range.

5. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Dmapr, the S4 battery doesn't fit the S3- I'm just guessing it wouldn't fit a future galaxy phone either. The Seido that Gamer purchased is $69 from the store direct. Sorry my memory thought it was $79. But $69 or $40, the point is the same.

My external pack can be used to run the phone while it is charging the internal battery.

If I needed 2x the power on a daily basis a iPhone Mophie case pack or a Seido case pack would be a wise choice. But I don't. It's a rare situation that I do, so I don't have the extra weight and bulk of it ON the phone. But rather in my saddle bag or wife's bottomless purse :). When traveling with her in London, it came in handy: it will charge an iPhone 2.5 times (4000mA) and we both could share it as needed,even for a partial charge. Cables are long enough to keep in a pants pocket or a good reason to hit the pub and charge me and the phone. :). Perfect for air travel.

It has a removable USB-whatever cable. So I can charge or top off any device. Even the ipad or kindle or a poor soul's Android.

Both options are absolutely fine. Just saying non replaceable batteries are not that big of a deal and external packs are more economical and universal. You can use them for your next phone. They make a lot of nice ones now. Mine will charge at a rate of 500,1000 or 2100 mA.

Also remember that a 4000+ internal battery will take a longer time on the charger. Hey, that would be a good thread. :)
    How long does it take to charge your phone?

http://www.mophie.com/juice-pack-powerstation-for-iPod-iPhone-iPad-p/2027_jpu-pwrstion-2.htm

6. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Ok looks like the usage time went up by 25 mins and the battery dropped 5%. So approximately 3 mins/hour of usage with no other activity.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375791754.302251.jpg

It also has not made the sudden battery drop this morning.

Vf, you are right my last usage was on the low side. Although usage is usage, like you said I would think that some usage is more battery intensive than others. For example replying to a post has to use more battery than just reading posts. Don't you agree?
    Great idea vf, go for it ;)

PS: I am glad that my not believing in powerpacks/batteries brought out such interesting discussion and information. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Yes, but I never had the S3 :) There's no reason to believe I'll be getting the S5, and even then I typically relegate the previous phones to secondary duties, so it takes a long while for a phone to retire. I expect the battery to be mostly useless after 3 years anyway.

As I had mentioned before, I try to limit the number of charge cycles I put my batteries through to avoid them getting fat :) Use of an external battery pack increases those cycles.

No idea how long it takes to charge, but it's always charged in the morning when I take the phone off the charger. Put it on when I go to bed.

8. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I looked into buying an external battery pack. The only problem with that is I am pretty much the only one in the family that uses their phone a lot. So for me, having to carry around an external battery pack would not be feasible (yes I know my family could charge their phones but again I use mine the most). An external battery pack can also be cumbersome to carry around with you during the times you need it, unless you have some sort of carrying case to put the battery pack in. Since I don't carry around a saddle bag, there is no way I can fit my phone, external battery pack, and cable in my pocket.

I chose the extended battery because I wanted something that would last me during heavy usage days and times when I am not near a charger. Also, with the extended battery, the "extra weight and bulk of it ON the phone" doesn't bother me. I actually think the phone feels better with the extended battery. That may be due to the fact that I have big hands, and the phone with the stock battery is too thin IMHO. I also understand that the S4 extended battery and S5 will probably not be compatible. If I do decide to upgrade to the S5 down the road (or any other phone), I would most likely sell the S4 with the extended battery or keep the S4 as a backup phone. But I do agree with you that both options work depending on your personal preference.

1 person likes this.
  9. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    It certainly does. It is not simply in terms of time. 2 hours of the LED on as a flashlight will kill the battery, while 8-9 hours of voice talk time is fine. The music player may last 35 hours or more!

This is why it is hard to figure out with one number only. It's just a guide.

Here is a snapshot from one of the battery apps for my phone at 95%. It is meant to be read 'if your only did that one thing'. So you have to figure out what to expect if you mix usage between several of them.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Going back to my regular schedule of charging it in the evening. around 15-30% battery remaining, and turning off the phone at night.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375839350.587182.jpg

11. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Charylee, things like icloud backup only occur when the phone is on wifi, locked and plugged in.

Does your process allow for that?

12. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    viewfly, I am sorry but I don't understand what you mean by the bolded part. Could you please explain.

Thanks

13. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    The question can be rephrased like so: When you plug your phone in to charge overnight, do you allow sufficient time to pass for the iCloud backup to complete before turning it off? Or do you have other times when you leave the phone plugged in and on WiFi but not in use?

1 person likes this.
  14. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Ah yes, thank you for clarifying it.

I do not charge my phone overnight, I charge my phone in the evening basically during dinner and typically do not use it unless I absolutely have to. I have checked my iCloud backup dates and they are current.

So I guess the answer to the original question from vf is - yes my process does allow that. :)

1 person likes this.
  15. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Ok so I did go back to my regular schedule but for a variety of reasons didn't get a chance to plug it in last evening. So I decided to see how close I could get to my normal charging time of around 7: 00 PM or so. Only missed it by approximately 2 hrs and 15 mins.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375998465.804835.jpg

16. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Seems like ever since I said that I was going back to my prior schedule of charging every evening, something or the other has come up preventing me from doing so.

Last night was an excursion to a newly opened ice cream place, specializing in sundaes. :hyper:

So here is the resulting battery stats.

[​IMG]

#136 charlyee, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    This is from my Lumia. [​IMG]

Sent from the Blanco Beast, SCH i605

3 people like this.
  18. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Time for the charger.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376412261.105542.jpg

2 people like this.
  19. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Hi,

Android users. I was looking into Samsung antennas and came across this app/method to turn off selective antennas. It alos displayed interesting information about battery health. At first it looked like a code like entry but also is a free app. (*#*#4636#*#*) on the Nexus 4. App is ID in video

This isn't the same widget that has been used in this forum?

Some screen shots.

[video=youtube_share;U2vsuB9X1yI]http://youtu.be/U2vsuB9X1yI[/video]

[​IMG]]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk Pro

20. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    The code is (AFAIK) a standard thing on all Android phones. The widget is not the same one, it appears to be much more fancy.

1 person likes this.
  21. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The *# code is a GSM code and will not work on CDMA type devices.

Sent from the Blanco Beast, SCH-I605

2 people like this.
  22. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    An app isn't really needed to turn off antennae and view battery health. More or less, this can be seen in settings. Some carriers have hidden some of this info [cough] VERIZON [/cough] , though... and each manufacturer presents its settings details differently (a Nexus 4 would be different than a Galaxy device in this regard)... I haven't seen the pictured graphical representation before, and IMO, it is overkill.

2 people like this.
  23. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Okay this is ridiculously good battery life, 47% remaining after 8 hours and 44 mins of usage. I don't believe I did anything different.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  24. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Here's where it finally ended. Wish I could figure out what was different this time.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  25. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    On my way to a 9.4 hour battery usage iOS 7

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk Pro

2 people like this.
  26. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Well, with me losing my job, I wasn't able to replace the Vivid this fall with an HTC One as I had planned. The battery life got so bad, I ordered what was supposedly an OEM replacement battery on Amazon for $8. Who knows if its real or not, but I'm definitely getting better life out of it.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  27. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Battery life is not as good as I was getting with iOS 6 but still very acceptable.
    [​IMG]

28. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Ok, just got my low battery alert... here's the stats from the new battery.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  29. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mostly standby

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  30. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    On my Note
    [​IMG]

Sent from the Blanco Beast, SCH-i605

1 person likes this.