Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

How is the battery life of your Smartphone - Please post

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by charlyee, Jul 4, 2013.

1. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Better battery since I quashed Google location info

[​IMG]

Sent from the Blanco Beast, SCH i605

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I left my WiFi on by mistake for about 4 hours, when I left home. Doesn't seem to have too much of an adverse effect on the battery. :cool:

Otherwise an average usage day. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374973786.042644.jpg

Sent From My iPhone 5 Using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    [​IMG]
    I played Angry Birds for an hour by mistake, otherwise usage as normal.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

1 person likes this.
  4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    iPhone battery analysis

To tell you the truth, I'm not certain how to understand the battery graphs from the Android software or what they really mean.

And I've been looking for the same on the iPhone. Not easy to find anything.

However, I just saw this App called Carat. Reviews are mixed, but it's free. Maybe others might try it and compare results.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carat/id504771500?mt=8

If after a week, it works, I'll post it in the Apple section too.

5. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Okay I found that there is a free Android version of Carat available too. Got 3.5 reviews. Seems the key is to open it once a day for it to work. Takes a week to analyze.

Might be interesting to try.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.berkeley.cs.amplab.carat.android&hl=en

An interesting app since I'm not understanding how the native app separates out running the app and just having the screen on when the app is running.

More about the carat project here. http://carat.cs.berkeley.edu/index.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

6. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    What a difference a larger battery does. Same iOS and the gain from the larger battery is not equally consumed by the loss from the larger screen.

From my iPad mini with 7.9 inch screen and thinner than my iPhone. Stats show I'm on my way to 12 hours of usage time and 8 days of standby. On wifi the whole time. Turned it off for the screen shot.

[​IMG]

#96 viewfly, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    uploadfromtaptalk1375564768259.jpg

Sent from the Blanco Beast, SCH i605

Attached Files:

8. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    A pretty normal 13 hour period. Battery at 72%. At this rate I'lll go 8.3 hours plus of usage and at least a 24 hours or more of standby. Wifi on full time. 5 email accounts with one on Push. Tapatalk checking, browsing,reading newspapers and email. No phone calls. Downloaded some new apps. Carat running.

[​IMG]

9. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I had a marathon texting session today. A whopping 346 messages in a span of 5-6 hours and yes my fingers are smoking lol.

I am very pleasantly surprise that it still made 9 hours of usage, didn't think it would.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375577800.542372.jpg

2 people like this.
  10. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Charlyee. Usage is usage. 6 hours of texting should be fine.

1 person likes this.
  11. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Yes of course vf, it is just that after almost continuous texting for that long I didn't the battery to last as long as it did. ;)

1 person likes this.
  12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I used the phone a lot in the morning reading newspapers, Tapatalk, weather, emails. . At 45%

[​IMG]

13. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I was only concentrating on the usage time but just realized that you and most others have a much higher standby time. So looking at your standby time, I read it as your phone has been off the charger since yesterday morning around 10 or so, correct?

I turn my phone off at night unless I am out of town and I believe the clock stops then and restarts when I turn it back on next morning so I would be not counting 7-9 hours of what would have been standby time.

I will remember to leave my phone on tonight and see what standby time I get.

#103 charlyee, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  14. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    It was off the charger since 7:26am yesterday.

I never turn my iPhone off Charylee. I leave it on at night, but plug it into the charger when i go to bed (11pm or so). If you turn your phone off, you're correct, the standby clock should stop.

I left it off the charger last night, so that it could drain and I could recalibrate the battery meter in the iPhone/battery.

I've been down this road so many times, and this week I've been turning off unwanted apps notifications, and Newstand auto updates, and have really reduced my 'Usage time' per standby time. My battery has been fine, but I want to see what I can do.

For example, besides your texting olympic session yesterday, do you really think that, on a typical work day, you're spending 7 hours of Usage over 13 hours of Standby time? Usage can include doing nothing, with just the screen on...or over auto checking of emails, notification pipeline on, etc. But you or the phone is doing something. That is a lot of time spend on the phone, no? I don't think you're doing that much.

Your are getting fantastic Usage and Standby times, so nothing is 'wrong' at all! Just, from a pedantic point of view, it seems odd, no? Mine has build up to numbers like that, and right now, I'm just seeing want I can knock down. However, if I need all that stuff on, and check emails frequently, the battery lasts well beyond my bed time. So I'm good.

I've noticed that the iPhone, as almost all smartphones, have specs of 10 days or more of 'Standby time'. But the reality is that it is only 1 or 2 days tops (assuming that one doesn't have a super duper battery added). Because we use our phones.

So the Usage time is more important, because that drops the actual phone-usage-standby time to a day or so. This is part of the reason I'm having a hard time understanding or comparing the Android stock battery meter screen shots.

People on other forums suspect their native battery is bad if the Usage time, in their typical day, drops to a few hours or so. Assuming they haven't spent the entire taking photos or the flashlight on. If they get only 3 hours of so doing what they have done before, then time to drain and recalibrate, or head to the Apple store for them to check out and perhaps replace a battery. I've never replaced one yet though.

1 person likes this.
  15. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    That is a very good point, and yes usage of 9 hours over a 13 hour period sounds improbable.

I have 2 push emails, sms, read news from five different sources three or four times a day, check Forums about once an hour, some minor work with Numbers, check Facebook, Twitter, and participate on GroupMe.

Even though that sounds a lot it could not add up to 9 hours even including the number of times I wake up the screen and not do anything with it.

In my notification center, I have weather, task list, calendar, and Scoremobile.

I am perfectly happy with my battery as well, I charge it in the evening, take it off the charger and use it for an hour or so and then turn it off. Next day I turn it on between 6-8 and typically have around 35-40% left when I plug it in after 12-13 hours.

1 person likes this.
  16. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I do about the same as you minus the group me and twitter. I realized that things not in the notification center are still open if you allow a banner or badge or a show in lock screen. There was no need to update WSJ automatically. I can wait until I open the app. But I do get NTY Locked screen alerts.

Full iCloud on with calendar and all options. My Usage times seem more realistic to how I actually up use the phone. Still inflated, but not as much. I just have less background so stuff going on, and I don't miss it.

With some fooling around I conserved usage time. It wasn't necessary though. If you ever get a situation where usage time is the same exactly as standby, then you got a problem. Irish Rose made me realize that things had gotten out of hand for me when I saw her screen shot. I knew I wasn't doing anything for a few hours yet my phone logged 2 house of usage. With so many apps, I had gotten lazy letting all of them send me alerts even when I don't care to get them. They never send any, so I thought nothing about it. But a connection is still open

Here is where I am. Using the phone normally but improved my standby times. 23%

PS: how is Numbers?

[​IMG]

17. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Nice,

I couldn't help noticing your db value, is it typically that low?

I am really liking Numbers, specially after I got rid of my mindset that it needs to be just like Excel. Other than print capability, I like the iCloud synchronization across my devices. There are also certan calculations I can do with it that I couldn't with DocsToGo, the DateDiff is one of them. Here is the worksheet I practiced on. :D

[​IMG]

The only quirk I found so far is, if I change my default email it gives an error message and does not send. I need to soft reset to make it work with the new one.

Ok to keep things on topic, here is a battery usage screenshot.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yeah, signal is poor at my house. Another reason why my battery numbers are a bit off. I got rid of the apt in the city, and in this rural area we have good signals, but not at my home. My kid has the ATT microcell. I should pick that up again.

You have great battery numbers. From what I predict, you'll get 4.63/0.38 or 12 hours of Usage.

Nice spreadsheet. I recognize what you're doing! What's the printing problem with Numbers? I replaced my printer with a wifi Canon (white MG6320), and I print fine with that. On the email, I can change the 'from' field from the Numbers app on the fly...no sending errors at all. Just tap the CC/BCC, From field, then tap From and pick your email account.

Now you need to try Pages and Keynote ;) I'm about ready to remove docs to go from my istuff.

19. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks, there is no printing problem with Numbers, with DTG there wasn't any native printing hence my reason for change.

Yes, I can change the From EMail on the fly as well but when I change the default in the Settings it somehow messed up the sending capability.

I have Pages but haven't done much with it, I put my DTG in my "seldom used" folder.

I have great AT&T signal at my house and place of work and so yes that helps the battery go further.

20. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well I want to go to bed. So at 1% remaining I'm ready to hook up the iPhone charger.

1 day and 16 hours of Standby and 11 hours and 30 min of Usage. iPhone 5 at 1%

Updated to 1%
    [​IMG]

#110 viewfly, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  21. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    My battery life has improved on my extended battery. My usage over the past few days has been moderate.

Here is the battery life using my extended battery:

[​IMG]

Here is the screen on time:

[​IMG]

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

1 person likes this.
  22. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Wow Gamer, that's very impressive! How do you like the feel of the phone with the extended battery?

1 person likes this.
  23. Gamer03

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Since the phone is thin to begin with, I think the extended battery makes the phone feel better in my hand. Before I had an extended battery, there were times when I had to check my pocket to remind myself my phone was still there. The bigger battery doesn't add too much thickness or weight to the phone. Also, the phone still fits comfortably in my pocket. I sometimes find myself not being near a charger for hours at a time, so this reassures me that my phone will not die before I can get to a charger and recharge my phone.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

1 person likes this.
  24. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Thanks Gamer! On my Nexus I was forced over to the extended battery pretty quickly, but the S4 seems to be doing much better, so still on the fence about it. But I feel it's a better problem to have than to have not enough juice and no option of a bigger battery :)

1 person likes this.
  25. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Hey Gamer, haven't all your posts in this thread been with the extended Seido battery?

In any case, it is nice to have a independent source of more power when one is out and away from the grid. I hear you on that one.

I had a Morphie Juice pack case for my iPhone 4, 4S. I sold it with the phone on eBay and since have gone with a Morphie external power pack. It's small, 4000mA, and it will fit any new iDevice I may have: miniPad, iPhone 5, iPhone6... Or share it with an Android friend...

I carry it with me all the time...but rarely use it, but it came in really handy when we lost electricity for a full week here in the NorthEast...3 times last year!

26. Gamer03

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Actually my first post was comparing the stock battery with the extended battery. All of my usage since then has been with the extended battery. I don't see a point of swapping batteries out on a daily basis (which is why I bought an extended battery to use as my primary battery).

Here is my original comparison when using the stock battery:

27. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Ok, so I left my phone on last night and in the morning it had drained 6% in about 8 hours, so it should be safe to assume that the my phone would last 5 to 6 days if I left everything on but never touched it. :cool2:

In the morning however, the battery went down 14% in about 45 mins, this was really unusual since that's about how much time I usually spend every morning in reading news, forums, email etc and the battery has never dropped 14%. Anybody have an explanation for this?

One thing I forget to check is how much did the usage time go up by during the 8 hours, that would give an idea on how much battery is consumed on the background tasks. Maybe I will keep my phone tonight to check that and also if it does the same huge drop right away.

So here is the final stat.

[​IMG]

PS: For the record I do not believe in extended batteries and refuse to even look at them. I only used one with my Treo 750 but it did have the most miserable battery life even with it. :p

28. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Technically it doesn't matter whether you believe in them or not since you have no way of using them :D

29. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Technically it depends on your definition of extended battery. :D.

I could always go this route :)

1 person likes this.
  30. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

I don't have any explanation Charlyee. However getting 9 hours of Usage time is on spot I think, although it lower than what you normally get.
    I think we can only trust these battery meters sometimes.

1 person likes this.