Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

How is the battery life of your Smartphone - Please post

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by charlyee, Jul 4, 2013.

1. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    It is pretty obvious that most Smartphone discussion always include battery life, so I thought it would be fun and informative to get some actual user experience.

So please post your battery life, preferably with a screenshot but not necessary.

Please include details of what device and OS and your usage pattern.

I let the battery down completely but you certainly don't have to, post the details at whatever the lowest battery capacity you feel comfortable with.

Thanks much :)

Here is mine:
    IPhone 5, with iOS 6.1.4
    Medium to high usage of one push and two poll email accounts, forums and internet browsing, news and MLB feed, Twitter, Facebook, and lots of GroupMe. A mix of 50/50 wifi and LTE. No streaming.

image.jpg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 charlyee, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
    4 people like this.
  2. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    For the amount of time I spend on my phone. I am happy with the battery life.

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  3. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Good idea for a thread, Charlyee. I too am always curious about battery life. I look for good battery life (I like to read the tech site/blog reviews and user reviews) in a Smartphone before I buy the device.

My usage varies, depending on the day. On moderate to heavy usage days, I can get 12-14 hours out of the stock battery. This includes Gmail, exchange push email, chatting with friends throughout the day, several texts and picture messages, checking my various weather apps, 4-5 hours of screen time, moderate Facebook and Twitter usage, a few speed tests throughout the day (using the Speedtest.net app), and moderate internet browsing. With light usage, I can get 24 hours of usage. Light usage includes emails (both Gmail and my exchange emails), texts and picture messaging, light browser usage, 2-3 hours of screen time, light Facebook and Twitter usage, and occasional weather app usage.

I have been very impressed with the phone and the overall stock battery (especially considering it is a 2600 mAh battery and the phone has a 5" 1080p full HD screen). I purchased a Seidio 4500 mAh extended battery exactly two weeks ago. I am on the fifth full charge/discharge cycle (Seidio recommends 5-6 full charge/discharge cycles in order to achieve optimal battery life and performance). With moderate to heavy use, I can get 24 hours out of the battery (including 6-8 hours of screen time and the other usage I described above). With light usage (see above), I can get 46-48 hours of usage.

I continue to be impressed with both the stock battery and the extended battery.

Here is heavy usage of my Galaxy S4 and Seidio extended battery (starting out from 70% and going down to 10% after flashing a custom ROM to my Galaxy S4):

Samsung Galaxy S4 Battery Life (Heavy Usage).png

Here is light usage of my Galaxy S4 and Seidio extended battery (due to my sister being in town for her summer vacation and today being the 4th of July):

Samsung Galaxy S4 Battery Life (Light Usage).png

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    4 people like this.
  4. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Lumia 820, with WP8 version 1314
    Light to medium usage, LTE and a little WiFi. A long call, GroupMe, and some FaceBook & Twitter.
    Off the charger since yesterday evening.

WP_20130704.png

*This is not my typical usage

5 people like this.
  5. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    [​IMG]

Haven't been using my phone much today, but here goes... HTC Vivid LTE.

4 people like this.
  6. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    So on these android numbers what is this? Usage or standby.

7. Gamer03

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    The stats show the time the phone has been off of the charger. After talking to one of my iOS friends, this is somewhat similar to the standby time for iOS.

From what I can tell, device idle is the actual standby time. So if you subtract this from the off the charger time, you should get the usage time (or the screen on time aka the “usage" time on iOS). I have attached three pictures to show what I mean. If I am wrong, someone with Android can chime in.

The time since off the charger:

uploadfromtaptalk1372998757622.jpg

The actual standby time (when it is broken down):

uploadfromtaptalk1372998774843.jpg

The actual overall usage time:

uploadfromtaptalk1372998790328.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

#7 Gamer03, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    3 people like this.
  8. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Thanks Gamer. Took me a while to absorb this, but I think I got it now. Yeah, I agree that the iOS 'Standby time' is the same as the Android hours shown the 1st screen shot (14h 29m 19 s), basically the time since the last full charge

The iOS 'usage' time is more than screen time. It includes music player time with screens off, or background mail checking, with screens off, or just 'celluar' stuff, or notifications polling. If I have my iPhone screen off, not being used, I will start ticking Usage time because of little background stuff like that going on.

So I'm guessing that your 'screen time' or Standby minus Device idle ( 2h 45m 35s) is undervalued if comparing to iOS Usage time. Meaning that you are actually getting more usage time then you think! Good news.

With iOS guys, we mainly focus on Usage time as the important parameter. But even with that, if someone uses the MP3 player, it draws so little battery power, that usage time sky rocket to unreal numbers.

I wonder what 'Cell Standby' is? Jay had a lot, an you very little. I'm not sure what the definition for that is.

From Apple's web page on battery life:

P.S.: One thing these Android screen shots show more clearly than the iOS data, is how much the screen on kills the battery. So constantly checking your phone for a hopeful message, or having a message displayed while in lock mode makes a huge difference. I've learned that too. If I don't check my phone at all in the AM, I can have nearly 100% battery still by noon. But if I wake it up just to see every 5 minutes, it makes a difference, and the battery will drop down.

1 person likes this.
  9. Gamer03

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I think you may be right about the usage time. Cell standby is the phone's radio that is used by the battery. If it is slightly higher, then typically this means your phone may be trying to find a signal (so you may be in a weaker signal area). This is what my experience has been with the cell standby in weaker signal areas. My cell standby is lower and my screen says time without a signal is 0%. Also all percentages with Android have to add up to 100%. I know a few years ago Verizon didn't have as many 800 MHz panels pointed in my direction at home. So there were times when my cell standby was slightly higher and it said time without a signal was around 10% (this was happening around the time that Verizon was converting the old Alltel towers over to Verizon and the voice was being moved over to the 800 MHz band from the 1900 MHz band).

Sometimes, having a higher cell standby may not necessarily mean you are in a weaker signal area. It also may point to the fact that you haven't used your phone as much. Basically there is no way to know for sure unless you check and see the percentage of the time without a signal. If it says anything other than 0% for time without a signal, then you know for sure that at some point you were in a weaker signal area or your phone was holding onto a signal longer than usual (so if you were in the interior of a tall building for example).

Anyone else with Android or iOS can feel free to chime in about this. Since the two operating systems are somewhat different from each other, I don't think there is a perfect way to compare the too. As long as I get good battery life out of my phone, I don't pay too much attention to the stats. As I type this, my phone's battery has 16% battery life left and my phone has been on for 1 day, 55 minutes, and 18 seconds.

I agree that Android shows more data than iOS. I check it every so often (maybe once to twice a day) to make sure I don't have any rogue apps constantly running. I am actually using a custom ROM right now that removed all of the Verizon bloatware and some of the Samsung bloatware. The ROM is based off of the stock TouchWiz experience, so I still have the features that Samsung has touted for the Galaxy S4 (air view, multi-window (with the ability to add any app and not just the approved Samsung ones like you are limited to on the stock ROM), etc.

So far this is much better than the "stock" ROM that shipped with my phone. I am also rooted on my phone.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I'm running the stock ROM, as I feel I'm not going to really play with this phone until I have a replacement in hand. I don't normally frequent areas with low signal, and yesterday I spent most of my day around home, where I have excellent LTE coverage. As Gamer said, I don't normally have battery issues, so I largely ignore this data, maybe looking at it once a month, if that.

Here's a screenshot of today:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    It took me a while to figure it out as well, specially the actual usage time in Android vs iOS.

If I understand it right, in Android device idle means that the screen is off but there maybe background tasks like email etc still happening. So this is not the same as Usage time in iOS I believe this is what both of you are saying as well?

It is an interesting discussion. Whether or not one is concerned about battery life it is always at the top for any Smartphone.

Now anyone want to analyze WP's battery from what Jason posted? ;)

Sent From My Mobile Device Using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    12 and 1/2 hours of Usage time is pretty darn good. So is 22 1/2 hours of standby!

I haven't checked mine in months. I just get good battery life. So it will take me a bit to gather stats again. ;)

13. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks, I have always had good battery life on my phones, except for the Vivid (Sorry Jay). I am guessing its from being in a strong LTE area.

I have had standby time of well over a day if I don't use the phone much.

What do mean not check the phone every 5 mins? Absolutely an impossible task at least for me.

Looking forward to your battery stats.

1 person likes this.
  14. Gamer03

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks Charlyee. This makes sense to me. I think you are right about the device idle time being the overall standby time. iOS breaks the usage down to its simple form while Android likes to go into detail.

Here is my device idle time:

uploadfromtaptalk1373043652638.jpg

Here is my screen on time:

uploadfromtaptalk1373043697915.jpg

Here is the time since being unplugged:

uploadfromtaptalk1373043746678.jpg

1 person likes this.
  15. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks Erik, I think I am still a little uncertain about actual Android usage time. It looks like out of 27 hours off the charger the screen was on for 4.5 hours, if I add 50% to it the approximate usage time would be 6.75 hours. Somehow this seems to be too little based on most of our usage patterns.

For example right now I have 8.5 hours of usage time out of 12 hours off the charger. So even if I double the non screen on usage it is only 9 hours of usage out of 27. That's pretty much half the usage on mine, right?

What are we missing?

1 person likes this.
  16. Gamer03

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I am not sure what we are missing. I actually tried to look this up online and people were also confused on other forums (so we are not alone). I will take a look this afternoon and see if I can find some more answers. If I do, then I will post what I find.

1 person likes this.
  17. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Phone is on the charger right now, but I can post some screen shots later of my usage stats. All I know is that with my last 2 Android devices (Xperia TL...used for maybe 3 weeks? and the Atrix HD) f I didn't have a second charger at my desk at work I would have a dead battery by the end of the work day. Not the case with my iPhone.

3 people like this.
  18. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    No offense taken Charlyee. I've always had good battery life with the Vivid. I remember it was bad on the HTC Inspire before I found the Juice Defender app. Once I installed Juice Defender, my problems went away. When I purchased the Vivid, I had juice Defender installed before I even left the shop, I've never tried to run it without the app. I will generally barely get 2 days worth of usage out of the Vivid if I forget to charge it overnight.

The worst day ever for battery was one day I was taking in the sights at Bike Week 2012 in Daytona, FL. I made the mistake of making a video of a T-Shirt contest, and tried to upload it to Facebook instantly. I killed the battery in less than an hour. now when I go to Bike Week I make sure I have a charger with me when I'm out and about.

3 people like this.
  19. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    No, I haven't put the phone down yet.

Sent from the Blanco Beast, SCH i605

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  20. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Lol, yes I haven't put the phone down much either this battery cycle.

The usage time is about the same but the standby time much less than the prior battery cycle. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373063233.257712.jpg

3 people like this.
  21. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I don't concern myself with the technicals of my battery life. My phone has been off the charger since 4:30 AM.
    From 7:30 to 11:30 it was on standby, since I was picking my route.
    The phone still makes the day on a single charge with moderate to heavy use.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  22. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well, I still don't understand the Android battery usage display.

Total time since off charger, I get.
    Each category has a percentage of battery used, I get that. They all add up to 100%, so if you used 48% of the battery, it is explained by each category.
    And each category has a time used...and they should add up to the total time off the charger? No?

So why does screen time and device idle by themselves add to the total time, but the percentages of those two don't?

In Gamer's screen shot (rounding some numbers):

Device idle is 11h 45 min and 7%
    Screen time is 2h 45 min and 56%
    Total time is 14h 30min, but 54+7 is not 100%. I don't get it.

23. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    A screenshot. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 AnthroMatt, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  24. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Viewfly, I don't understand the Android usage percentage either and it appears a lot of people on various forums do not either.

I believe all of us are overlooking the obvious and making it too complicated, hopefully someone in the know will step in to explain.

1 person likes this.
  25. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    No. Not quite sure how to explain. But screen time only plays a part of battery drain. A phone idling uses almost no battery but the high powered screens will consume more power than anything. the consumption of each item is not necessarily proportional to the amount of time off the charger. We should compare power drain in terms of mAh and not (only) time.

Anyone else with more expertise, please chime in LOL

2 people like this.
  26. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Here's my stats from this am. Internet, forums, phone calls,Facebook, texting, camera shots, weak LTE area, wifi always on,even when out, and GPS maps navigation voice turn by turn in the car yesterday maybe 1/2-3/4 hour. Heavy day.

I haven't drained my battery in months to recalibrate. Normally I go to bed at 11at 50% and put the charger on.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

1 person likes this.
  27. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I'm feeling now Android 'off the charger' time is Apple iOS 'standby time', since iOS standby includes the time the phone is asleep, but on. Android 'device idle' is not iOS standby.

I don't see there is way to compare the 'usage' time between the two systems. Android screen time in not equal to iOS usage time, since iOS counts activities while the phone screen can be off: music player, push/pull mail, etc.

No, I understand that, and the Android stat screens clearly show that more battery power drain ,in less time, occurs with the screens, than while idling.

So if the screen is on 2hour, burning 50ma, thats 100mAh used
    Or device idle is 12 hours, burning 0.1ma/hr, thats 1.2 mAh used
    Etc, etc, and the percentages follow suit.

My understanding:
    In Android, off the charger time is what it states. Same as iOS standby.

If there is 40% battery Android used, then the stat screen % used by each function is displayed. Screens the most, device idle near the least...and they all add up to 100% (at least in Jay's first post here, it shows the full list and it does).

The Android usage details in time doesn't account for, in time, the screens being on, and at the same time, the time consumed say while on a phone call. Therefore the detail times don't add up to 'off the charger' time. Can someone confirm this?

Seems that iOS calculates the Usage time for non overlapping power drain items.

Well, more thought then necessary for this thread. ;) Curious though.

#27 viewfly, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2013
  28. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    In the name of science, I did not charge my phone last night. Here's a shot of this morning's screen...

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  29. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Final screen shot before putting it back on the charger.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

1 person likes this.
  30. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Jay your battery life is amazing compared to what I remember with my Vivid. Other than phone calls what is your typical usage?
    Very interesting how your usage time is half that of mine iwith almost the same standby time. Other than the fact that AT&T is not as generous to you with signal strength (more obvious in your first picture) as they are to me, you must do more battery intensive work on your phone.

What is your typical usage pattern, how much of the time are you on WiFi?