Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

How is AT&T in Maine????

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Brandy, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Brandy

Brandy New Member

How is AT&T in Maine????

I am thinking of going to AT&T and see that most of Maine is on their coverage map. I am particularly interested in the Moosehead Lake region and the Eastport areas. Any feedback on these (or other areas of Maine) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Who would you be switching from?

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Brandy,

Although I am an ATT proponent, I would be leary of maps that show the "whole" of any state as being covered. There are holes in any and every system. Try finding a more detailed map, you'll probably find that (like most carriers) the highways, large cities and crowded areas are well-covered but the rural and less traveled areas are spotty.

Kevin

4. Pitapony

Pitapony New Member

Kevin, and where, pray tell, might one find one of the more detailed maps??[​IMG]

5. milarepa

milarepa New Member

maps can be found sometimes on web pages - verizonwireless.com or attws.com (for att wireless). The amazing thing now for verizon is folks on Americas Choice plan, the great new plan, are charged roaming whenn they enter and call from the gray area of their map. So if you live in or travel often to the gray area, opt for the other plan verizon has, not Amercias Choice. It appears much more expensive than attws, though I find little as to how extensive the coverage of attwireless is in the sticks

At the moment I cant get attws regional maps to download - see if you have any luck

I am holding on going cell at the moment since verizons downgrade of service to "sticksers" and would love to hear of attws coverage in VT/NH/ME, regardless of what their map says.

peter

6. milarepa

milarepa New Member

PS

The more I learn the dumber I feel - even though attws says they do not provide service in upstate NH or VT when you plug in those zip codes, their web page area map shows more actual coverage than verizon's. Could it be they really do cover those areas?

peter

7. SirIsaacNewton

SirIsaacNewton New Member

Brandy,

Maine is one of those states with very varied cellular service.

Most of the northern and interior of the state is served (badly! IMHO) by a collection of analog systems only. The southern and coastal areas is much better served -- but if you look at a map of Maine, the service is where the people are. Moose probably aren't very profitable as cell phone users!

You don't say where you are or why you plan to go ATT. If you LIVE in Maine, you need to choose your provider the same way you would anywhere -- whether they work where you want them to work and whether they have plans that meet your expected calling usage. If you only travel occasionally to Maine, you should optimize service where you use it the most and only secondarily go for one that will work in Maine.

As for my personal experience and recommendation:
    I live in Connecticut. I use Verizon. My StarTac works -- marginally -- in ANALOG only in the Millinocket area. Baxter Park is a strange place -- but cell phones are nominally ILLEGAL there (or so the signs say) -- but I have seen people using then there so SOMEBODY's system is available (analog only I suspect). I have had reasonable DIGITAL service along the I-95 corridor -- although I know I was roaming off the Verizon home system, so Eastport should be an OK area. ATT holds some of the 800 MHz licenses along that route. ATT in Eastport should be OK!

I suspect the Moosehead area will be analog only, although you may get a USCellular digital signal there, given it's resort nature. ATT might roam on them...

Basically, if you want a good Maine plan, go to a cell store in Maine and talk to the locals about the best Maine plans......

8. Guest

Guest Guest

9. Guest

Guest Guest

US CELLULAR BY FAR HAS THE BEST SERVICE IN NH/VT/ME. I LIVED IN CENTRAL NH(LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE) AND HAD GREAT SERVICE WHEREVER I WENT IN N.E. VERIZON HAD MANY WEAK AND DEAD SPOTS.