Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

how does VZW family share work?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by michaelh, Jun 27, 2005.

1. michaelh

michaelh New Member

Let's say you have family share with two phones. When someone calls your number, do both phones ring? Or do the phones get different numbers? Can both phones be in use at the same time? And what about voice messages? Do they all get stored in one mailbox? Or does each line have a separate mailbox?

Thanks!
    Mike

2. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

Each phone is a separate line. Each has its own number, voicemail, etc. The only thing they share is the Anytime minutes. For example, if you add picture or text messaging, you pay an additional monthly fee for each line, or you can only apply the plan to one line.
    It used to be that Family Share meant that the minutes between lines on the plan did not deduct from Anytime minutes. However, Verizon now does that between any Verizon Wireless customers, so you no longer need a family plan. The main advantage of a family plan is when one member uses more Anytime minutes than another. That is, one line has a lot of unused minutes and the other goes over a lot, or is on a higher minute plan.

3. michaelh

michaelh New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, Crood! I seems to me that there is a financial advantage to familyshare. I am now paying $39.99 for I think 450 primetime minutes. If I got my son the same plan, it would be another $39.99 for 450 minutes. Instead, I can get familyshare for $59.99 for 900 minutes. It's like I got his for half price - $20 instead of $40. Am I understanding this correctly?

4. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 27 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    One little correction: For $59.99 you would not get 900 minutes, but 500 peak minutes for the two lines to share. You would have Mobile-to-Mobile between your two lines which would qualify as "IN" network. If you wanted 1000 minutes between the two lines, the price point is $79.99, which would be the same price as two individually charged lines, but with 100 extra minutes. Frankly I think Family Share is the way to go. That's what I did, and it is much cheaper than doing multiple individually-charged lines.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. michaelh

michaelh New Member

I don't understand. First, you say that FS is the same price as two individually charged lines, but with some extra minutes. Then you say that FS is much cheaper then individually charged lines. The two statements seem contradictory to me.

6. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 27 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Well, how many minutes do you want or need? Why would I pay 79.99 for two individual lines for 900 minutes I don't need? Do you need 900 minutes? If so, then why again pay $79.99 for two individual lines when you could add another 100 minutes by having the FS on both lines. If you want separate bills, taxes on each line at $39.99, than go right ahead. You mentioned going to the $59.99 plan. Is 500 minuted enough for you? Even with 900 min/two separate lines or 1000/Family share costing the same price, why not get the better value of the two? I was simply trying to point out that FS $59.99 will NOT get you 900 minutes as you originally thought in your post.

Overall Family Share plans ARE cheaper than multiple individual lines. That is the whole point of them. You are looking at one part, not the whole picture. What if you want to change to a new plan? You'll have to do each one individually if they are separate, and depending on which plan you choose you will pay more unless you have Family share. You might want to provide more information in your post if you want a clearer response.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I agree with lbmike212. FS plans are definitely the way to go.

Plus if you use your phone more than your son does during a particular month (i.e. you use 600 minutes, and your son uses 350 minutes, then you are still under the 1000 anytime minutes).

I share 1000 anytime minutes with my sister, and we have on average 100-200 minutes left (anytime) at the end of the billing cycle, but some months, we come pretty close to the 1000 anytime minute limit. So it is better to be safe than sorry, and have a little bit of a cushion for your anytime minutes.

8. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    It works like this:

INDIVIDUAL PLANS:
    You: 450 minutes individual America's Choice with IN calling and N/W: $39.99.
    Son: 450 minutes individual America's Choice with IN calling and N/W: $39.99.

If you use 400 minutes but he uses 600, you have to pay the 150 extra minutes on his plan at $0.45/minute ($67.50)

FAMILY SHAREPLAN:
    You and Son: 1000 minutes Family Shareplan with IN and N/W for all lines: $79.99

If you use 400 but he uses 600 you don't pay extra because you "pool" your minutes.

The price is the same for 2 individual 450's or 1 shared 2-line FS, but the difference is that you share the minutes, and in this case you get an extra 100 minutes between the two of you.

Also, you can add people (another child, a spouse) for $9.99 a month to your shareplan.

9. michaelh

michaelh New Member

I get it!

Crood, lbmike212, Gamer03, ZaphodB -- thank you all for your help!

10. fireball

fireball New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung a650
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Please forgive if this post looks like a reply to a specific message. I'm still poking and prodding buttons to see what does what...

I just got VZW with the Family Share and In Calling, etc. Coverage at my house and my office sucks, but most everywhere else is pretty good. During my 15 day honeymoon (before I was locked into my contract), some of my friends called me obsessed with signal strength, coverage, features, etc. But now that I'm committed, well, hey, I've got what I've got and I think it's OK.

I'm leaving on vacation soon, for northern Wisconsin (I live in Connecticut). I believe there's "no roaming" on my plan all across the country. Does this really mean no roaming, or does it mean that VZW has good coverage and good agreements with other providers and I really shouldn't ever roam, but it could happen if the signal coverage (or lack thereof) is right.

And if there is a chance of roaming, I assume my phone will tell me so? The manual shows a roaming indicator. Will this indicator stay off if I'm on a partnered service? (and will it light up if I happen to get unlucky?)

Thanks.

11. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I thought of a reason to get 2 separate plans as opposed to the FamilyShare.... New Every 2!

On a FS, only the primary line can get the NE2 credit ($100) for renewing your 2-yr contract for another 2 years.

With two plans, each can take advantage of NE2 and at different times if the contract dates aren't the same.

I have a FS plan, but I've only ever signed 1-yr contracts so NE2 is out for me. Maybe I should reconsider....

12. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    First, you are forgiven. Thats what we are here for. You help us fullfill the purpose of this website/discussion board with your questions.
    Second, are you still in your fifteen days or have they ended? It loks like they are up. I would have sugested perhap another phone like the Motorola v710 or Nokia 6015i but ah well.
    It means that "VZW has good coverage and good agreements with other providers and I really shouldn't ever roam" AND that your phone CAN'T roam in such a way that you would have to pay for it. Only under a VERY strange circumstance woudl you get a roaming charge and then you would be within your rights to call and complain about it.
    Yes the phone would tell you if you were roaming.
    You are welcome.

13. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    In responce to this two things.

1.) When does Verion EVER not have some phone on BOGO? Unless the other partu wants a high end phone as well. Even then it still is cheaoer than any other carrier.

2.) I am on what I call a "revolving" two yar contract. That means I pay 59.99+ a month and as such every 12 months or so I can get the two year pricing on a new phone. This starts a new two year contract for me AND adds two years to my NE2. the Audiovox CDM 9900 selling for $150 full retail saved me this last year so I will get my NE2 in October.

14. wgray8231

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    The BOGO (buy one, get one [or more]) is usually a good deal, but requires the upgrade dates to be in-sync, doesn't it? I've never been able to take advantage of a BOGO since our upgrade dates aren't in-sync b/c of when we started our plan(s). (I was on my parents' FS plan for 1 1/2 yrs, then we got hers and merged mine into it as a new FS) Also, my wife and I have different taste in phones--she prefers the bar, I've recently moved to flip (but might go for a good Nokia bar next time if one's available).

How does this "revolving" 2-yr contract work?

15. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I wouldn't mind if the free one had an external LCD, but it seems like it never does. That's not exactly high end.

16. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Here is the way it goes. I get a 2 year contract with a 2 year price on a phone with a calling plan of 59.99/month (or more) in 1/05.

In 1/06 I can go back and get a new phone at the two year contract price (same as new customers) BUT it restarts my 2 year contract. That means that now my contract ends 1/08 instead of 1/07. Also my NE2 moves to 10/07 instead of 10/06.

Clear?

17. wgray8231

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Gotcha. Now how did you work that out? (As opposed to the normal NE2 2-yr contract)

18. wgray8231

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    They do have good deals every now and then.

Right now the Samsung SCH-a670 (w/ camera and external lcd) is BOGO. Comparable to the vx6000.

19. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Its one lof those official policies they have that they don't talk about. Your eligibility for this though is very dependent on how much you pay them per month. I have one old boss who because his plan was over $300/month he can get a new phone at the two year price every 4 months if he wants. But 39.99/month customers shouldn't even ask about this till they have had there phone for 12 months. This is all about getting there ARPU from $51/month to more like $60/month.

20. wgray8231

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I'm already giving them $59.99/month. I was thinking about switching to ACII for the extra 100 minutes/month, too.

21. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

They are greedy bastards.