Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

How does Cingular keep customers?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by bassman, Jul 18, 2002.

1. bassman

bassman Junior Member

I keep reading post after post about how horrible Cingular is. I would think that with this kind of service that their customers would be dropping like flies. They're #2 in the nation??? I don't get it.

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    They got to be No. 2 becasue of mergers and buyouts not because they are a great carrier. They only won one JD Power award last year.

3. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Anytime a carrier is that large of course you are going to hear complaints. I believe Cingular to be a good company overall, in my area they are pretty good. It's all about where you live, granted they have some problems on the west coast but on the east coast they are much better.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I know you're going to hear complaints about every carrier, but based on the things I've heard on this forum I wouldn't go near Cingular. I'm talking about the ratio of complaints to positive comments. I'm just basing this thread on this forum.

5. bassman

bassman Junior Member

The post above is me, by the way. I don't know why it didn't log me in.

6. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    Most of the complaints come from one area -- California -- where Cingular's network has been oversold ever since PacBell became Cingular. Elsewhere, Cingular is usually fine -- one notable exception is Chattanooga, TN (bad coverage -- worse than even newcomers such as Sprint PCS and VoiceStream -- and poor regional roaming.)

-SC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    That's true roamer1, 90% of the complaints I hear about Cingular are from the California market. Cingular seems to be fine about everywhere else.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Indeed, California Cingular service is Awful. Not to mention there Customer service. I was like a Dog who never left the back-yard and never knew there was a world out there. As soon as I changed to VerizonWireless I realized what GREAT customer service was. Customer is always right indeed... Reasonably of course.

Point being, don't forget about background services when signing up with a provider. You never know when a provider will decide to overcharge or mess-up on your account, so you'll want to have a company you can work with. Without a hassle.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

THE ANSWER YOU REQUEST IS IN THE THREAD TITLED ".... CINGULAR..... MORE GREAT NEWS...."

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Whoops.. Ment '... More good News.... reply posted by pcssmartypants....

11. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    When I was shopping around for my grandmother a new wireless phone I talked to some Cingular employees on the phone, at the mall, and on the net. I found them all to be friendly and knowledable.

Verizon was a different story though, on the phone they hung up on me and at the main store the guy that helped me seemed uninterested in selling me anything. From my expereince I would have to say Cingular's customer service is pretty good.

12. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    As a resident of Gainesville, FL I can say Cingular is horrible here too...at least when school is in session. Apparently you can tell when each class period ends at the University of Florida because those are the times you can never place a call.

13. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It really depends on where you live every carrier has there good and bad areas. I've always heard Cingular is good in the area that use to be the old BellSouth Mobility DCS network (NC,SC, SW VA, East TN, and parts of Georgia) as well as I've heard they are really good in Texas and some parts of the Mid-West.

I know Cingular gets knocked a lot on this board, but I've seen many happy customers on this board that have Cingular. Cingular is very popular in my area infact and I've seen people happy with them around here. It's all about Location.

14. Mario

Mario New Member

Woa. After reading the anti Cingular feeding frenzy here I thought I'd chime in and give my .02. I'm in Southern CA and until recently have been a Verizon customer with 5 phones for over 2 years. 3 Months ago I switched over to Cingular after a few issues with Verizon. Without going into detail I'll just say that Verizon treats potential customers much better than established customers.

So far Cingular has been much better in both customer service as well as coverage. From Thousand Oaks down to San Diego I have never had connectivity problems. With Verizon I'd spend a lot of time in analog mode. Cingular reps don't have their "professional phone person" chatter as finely tuned as Verizon's do but they're friendly and helpful nonetheless.

Just wanted to add a little balance here.

Mario

15. Guest

Guest Guest

had cingular crap. called their cs, told them can you do something about the poor signal here, last time i called was 6 months ago and no improvements (gets worst).
    they say it's the airport nearby. yeah right, my at&t and verizon works just fine nearby the airport.
    just admit it, they suck, dont look for scapegoat.

have you tried making calls on weekends? =)

16. Mario

Mario New Member

Excuse me? I merely posted my opinions on the topic. Is there some reason you feel the need to get combative?
    Of course I have and again I've had no problems. BTW, which airport are you referring to? I've used my phone right next to LAX (Imperial Highway) and I don't recall having problems. Perhaps my success is because I joined Cingular after a number of upgrades?

Mario