Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

How do you confirm that a used phone will be activated?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by hbh, Jul 9, 2004.

1. hbh

hbh New Member

My LG vX10 (Verizon - Maryland) was stolen, and of course Verizon no longer sells that model... Why should they? If so, I wouldn't have to purchase $200 worth of new accessories! AARRRRGGGHHH!

I want a replacement phone, and have looked on the 'net for used equipemnt. Although many sellers will provide the ESN #s of the phones, Verizon will not check the numbers to assure activity.

Is there any way to assure that the phone I am purchasing is able to be activated? I can't believe this is so difficult!

2. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    I take it you didn't have insurance?

3. hbh

hbh New Member

Any thoughts on the issue at hand? :mad:

4. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    The Verizon Wireless STORE won't check the number or the Verizon Wireless Customer Service Number won't check to see if the ESN is "hot"?

5. rich6880

rich6880 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I often come up with crazy ideas. Tell the seller that you want to be sure that the phone will work for you (this part is essential). By using the ESN, see if you can activate if on line with your cell number. Then call the number from a landline.

Before, anyone tells me that this is a crazy idea, I admitted that upfront.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

How much is the new phone?
    If it's $175, just pay the ETF and activate a new phone w/ another carrier.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    best bet is just check out the seller's feedback and if it doesn't look overwhelmingly good, don't buy from them.

8. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I think you misunderstand the post. He's not looking to change carriers or plans. He just wants some way of knowing that a used phone he's buying can be activated on his current plan. In other words is there a way to find out if it's been reported lost or stolen.

9. lets4567

lets4567 Junior Member

My Phone:
    V265
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (personal),Cingular (work)
    After my 8600 got fried (darn kids with their super soakers...arghhhh) I bought a V60C off of eBay. I called customer service and they checked the esn# with no problems. Maybe because I am in the middle of my contract? It was no big deal. You should be able to find plenty of VX10's on eBay or other sites. Are you in the middle of your contract? If not, why not get a newer LG phone? Maybe most of your accessories will work or be compatible with them..... :cool:

10. Jodi

Jodi Keep on swimming...

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I bought a v60i for VZW last year off of Ebay. When you're looking online, make sure the phone is already programmed for your carrier or that the phone is at least programmed for the same type of signal (GSM, CMDA, etc.)...My v60 was an Alltel phone, which is compatible with VZW. I brought the phone into a VZW Corporate store and they flashed the firmware over to VZW...

Good luck!

11. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I know there has to be some way to get to VZW store of customer service check the esn# to find out if the phone is legit?
    That would be terrible to buy a phone and don't know until you try to activate the phone that the phone has been stolen.

12. twopiece

twopiece D'oh!!

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    When I bought my phone, the seller gave me the ESN number and asked me to change it. Then he tested my phone and said all was okay. A little leap of blind faith but all worked out in the end.