Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

How do you activate two iPhones with AT&T?

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by cellular_freak, Apr 5, 2008.

1. cellular_freak

cellular_freak Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I am just curious as to how you go about activating two iPhones with AT&T. I've watched the activation video on apple.com to see how you should do it, but they don't talk about adding two iPhones to a new AT&T account. I would be porting from Verizon with my friend and getting a FamilyShare plan together. I'm just wondering how you would do this, or if anybody has any experience with this matter.

2. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    do one and then once you have that account created you go back and add the other to that existing account...

3. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Okay. So I would just say that I'm a new AT&T customer and I want a FamilyShare plan and get my account set up and then after that's completed, I will connect the other iPhone and say that I'm an existing AT&T customer?

4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    They should be able to handle all of that in the store for you...

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    That would be the thing I would want to do, but the iPhone only activates through iTunes.

6. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    i blame steve jobs...

but no, when you activate your first iphone, and you pick that you want a family plan etc etc

that will create an account instantly, so on the second one you go in there and add an iphone to that existing account. make sense?

all the store will do for you is sell you the iphones and any accessories you want.

now after you have created the accounts they can do some slight changes if you need them but thats about it. its impossible for them to activate it.

im hoping the 3G one will have the option to do both things.

7. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Okay, that does make sense.

I am actually waiting for the 3G iPhone to come out. I'm hearing rumors of about 2 months. I just can't get the 2G iPhone because I'm too used to CDMA voice service and data speeds. Where I live, CDMA is far superior to GSM so I'm not too happy about the switch to AT&T for the iPhone, but I really want it. WCDMA won't be available where I live for a long time, I can guarantee that. And my whole family has AT&T as well. Maybe I will have to invest in a cellular signal amplifier for my house to improve the signal until WCDMA comes.

8. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    only way to know if your getting it soon in your area is go into a local store and probe them for info. its hard to say, the 3G roll out is their main focus right now it seems like so unless you know for sure i wouldnt say that. i live in a fairly rural area with only 1900mhz and we will be 3G by June.

9. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yeah, I live in a very rural part of Michigan and it's only 850 MHz here. We actually still have Dobson towers here, because they haven't converted them to AT&T. And even way back when, Dobson only had GPRS for the longest time when everyone else had EDGE. Now that we finally have EDGE, AT&T has already upgraded their EDGE network and we don't even have that upgrade yet and we probably won't get it until they convert our towers to AT&T. That also probably means that we definitely won't have 3G for quite some time if our towers aren't even AT&T yet.

10. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    well since they have to convert the towers, it may be that they go ahead and add 3G while they are at it, it wouldnt make sense to upgrade to edge and leave. sounds like you might luck out to me. but like i said who knows, call att or talk to someone in the store that sounds like they know a few things and see.

11. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    My guess would be if your towers aren't even EDGE yet, then you may be scheduled for the 3G upgrade sooner than you otherwise would have been. You may find that once they convert the towers to AT&T that you may have EDGE and 3G all at once. It doesn't make sense to send people to the towers twice.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well the towers here do have EDGE on them, it's just that they don't have the full speed that the AT&T ones do, do to the "Fine EDGE" thing they did. I guess it would be possible for them to add 3G to the towers here, but it just seems like they'd focus on more urban areas and such in Michigan first and just convert the towers and Fine EDGE them first.