Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

How do I recover deleted reminders.

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by charlyee, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks VF. I guess I will figure everything out, once I pick one up:)

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

2 people like this.
  2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    No problem vf. :)
    Thanks for the article, yes it does make sense.

I use and like using iCloud for synching across devices but have iCloud backup turned off leaving only iTunes backup over wifi on. I think this backup/restore has evolved into something more complicated than it needs to be and certainly not intuitive.

Btw, I have setup Time Machine on my MBP, got talked into by JWA yesterday and seconded by you.

Sent From My iPhone 5 Using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  3. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    That's just the wrong way to handle it. I understand that Apple doesn't want to burden users with need to make decisions, but when data integrity is at stake, they should. They have all the information they need: the date of the iTuines backup (oldest), the date of the iCloud version (newer), the date of the restore (newest). That's a conflict that can not be resolved automatically and the user should be prompted to choose from one of the following:
    1. Keep the current version and update iCloud to it
    2. Restore from iCloud

This should not be forced to be executed immediately, so the user gets a chance to review everything, but the user should be made aware that none of the affected data types (contacts, reminders, etc) will be backed up to iCloud until the decision is made.

1 person likes this.
  4. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I will get right to the point, the fix DID NOT work.

I created a new reminder
    Made an iTunes backup with iCloud backup turned off
    Deleted the reminder
    Turned off iCloud for Reminders
    Restored from the latest iTunes backup.
    The deleted Reminder did not come back
    The iCloud for Reminders got activated with the restore, since it was activated when I backed it up.

So per your reasoning, the iCloud information took over and left the Reminder deleted. Since there is no way to stop the iCloud for Reminders not get re activated with the Restore, this is an excercise in futility.

About the only way this backup/restore would maybe work like it should, is to never use iCloud. I give up, I am sorry even though I like my iPhone and it truly "just works", the restore capability sux.

Not only is the system deciding that the backup I want to restore from isn't the one it is going to use, it enables the iCloud prior to restoring apps, so you are back to square one. :(
    I absolutely agree and am convinced this is an oversight on Apple's part, intentional or otherwise.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I disagree dmapr (and Charlyee). In the 40 years that I've dealt with computers and back ups..what is the 'right' way is always under debate and what is good for some people...others hate. The expectation is a universal solution that requires no thought..yet covers all situations. I have never seen one that works well yet.

What is right is always under debate by individuals...usually after the fact.

In fact the 'restored' iPhone is in fact not always and most likely not the 'newest'. Most situation that require a restoration of files is not because someone deleted a file (like Charlyee did); and since most backups are incremental to save corporate server space, that file from way back when doesn't exist. Hence the typical double question, 'are you sure you want to delete?'

(btw the way Charlyee, how DID you manage to delete so many Reminders, because you are asked that same question).

Restoration to an old backup works and normally one then wants the most current Reminder, Calendar and Notes (which really is the only items under discussion and in the Cloud) on your iPad and iPad Mini and MacBook pro to update your restored phone.

But others expect restores to be something else...and I've been equally frustrated with my IT department that backs up once a day, incrementally, and when I realized that I lost some outlook mail...a month later...I have NO recourse. Period.

When you turn off iCloud for Reminders you are asked a specific question that you will lose the data...and whether you wish to keep a copy on your iPhone.

My 2 cents on that.

What happened to Charlyee latest experiment, I'll will try for myself. ;)

6. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    You are NOT asked the "are you sure you want to delete" question in Reminders. You just swipe to the right and hit the red delete and it's gone. I was deleting the completed tasks and somehow went into the active reminder list. I only deleted around 7 (of which 3 were of ultra importance), before I realized I was in the wrong list. BTW, the Notes app doesn't ask either and I am sure if I deleted one I wouldn't be able to recover it just like Reminders.

Actually that was charlyee's last experiment not the latest, since each result has been more frustrating than the one before.;)

7. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I guess the restored worked too well then :) If it turned on Reminders iCloud again.

Just to be clear, you didn't use the airplane mode in the article? Seriously, I don't know if it is possible to do that fast enough. Maybe a better way is to disable you home WiFi for a while...and make sure data is only synched via WiFi and not celluar. That should do it.

I think for you, that $59 program is looking pretty good!

I didn't mean precisely that question Charlyee, but just what you said: swipe to the right doesn't delete the Reminder...you also have to hit the red delete button...its a safe guard based on a 2 step process.

We're talking about only 7 deleted in error? That free trial should have worked fine...I though we were talking about 30 or so which would have been more tedious.

Well lesson learned I guess. The iOS backup and restore is optimized for lost, destroyed phones, or upgrades to new phones to bring the new iDevice up to the last back up...including Reminders. I agree, not using iCloud at all would be the ultimate solution for someone deleting Reminders accidentally. But iCloud synching and backup is very useful to have around.

I'm not seeing this to be a big problem for most people. If Apple addresses in the future that would be great.

8. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I think the way Apple designed it sort of makes sense. Then again, I use reminders like VF uses them...I have a reminder to reset my data usage each month and a weekly one to remind me to turn in my time sheet for work. Those are my only recurring reminders. Everything else (birthdays, anniversaries, doctor appts., etc) goes into my calendar. The remainder of my reminders are seldom around for more than 48 hours.

Therefore I can see why a restore wouldn't replace a user deleted reminder. That could be annoying to suddenly get 35 reminders of past events. Apple probably assumes at worst someone would delete 1 or 2 by mistake, not a large number.

However, if a user wants to restore them, I don't see why Apple can't provide that option, but disable it by default. Sort of how like on BlackBerry restores you could select old data and would receive a warning that it would overwrite newer data (and any newly created tasks/events) and replace them with the back up copy. But that did not merge old and new, it was wipe and replace. So that probably screwed up a lot of people too, hence Apple deciding their way would probably negatively impact less people than the BB method.

Just my thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

1 person likes this.
  9. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Very good point AnthroMatt.

If I'm cleaning house and delete 50 unwanted iCloud events and accidentally 3 wanted events, then a back up restore gave me back all 53, then I'd have to start all over again for the sake of those 3. And maybe get reminders about older completed events.

Real time synching via iCloud is sort of new and how it meshes with backups. Maybe a trash can is needed that allows a local undo without a full restore...just like we have on a laptop/desktop.

After all we have that in the native mail app

Charlyee maybe in the future don't delete unwanted Reminders but just check them as completed. And don't delete completed Reminders. I have completed Reminders going back 2 years that were just restored from backup

They can't take up much space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. deliveranw

deliveranw New Member

You can Direct Share from Phone

You can also email or MMS the voice memo directly from your phone. If you only have a few files, emailing them may be a good option.
    1. From the voice memo screen click the silver button in the lower right corner. This will take you to a list of your voice memos.
    2. Select the voice memo you want to share and press the large blue share button at the bottom right of the screen.
    3. Select Email or MMS

11. spursdocia

spursdocia New Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Att

There is no way to recover them unless you have a backup. I tested 5 data recovery programs but none of them worked.

12. Juesrous

Juesrous New Member

If you just don’t have any backup to restore, you may need to use a piece of paid software to Recover data from iPhone such as notes, text message,contacts,photos,music,call logs.etc,Below I will tell you how to use Mobiledic iPhone Data Recovery to Recover data from iPhone without iCloud or iTunes backup
    Step 1: Conncet your iPhone with Computer
    Step 2: Scan your iPhone recoverable files: contacts, photos, music, text messages, call history, notes and so on.
    Step 3: Preview and Recover data from iPhone by clicking the “data” folder in the left side.
    Step 4: Specify a location for your Recover data from iPhone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.