Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

How about Cingular in NYC & North Jersey?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by MIkeP, Oct 17, 2001.

1. MIkeP

MIkeP New Member

Does anyone have any experiences with Cingular's service in NYC and North Jersey? I know that Verizon is probably the best in the NYC metro area but I am interested in Cingular because they are currently offering a better deal.

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I thought Cingular didn't offer service in NYC yet, am I wrong?

3. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    They don't offer their own branded service in NYC. I think they roam on AT&T there.

Cingular will be offering GSM service, mostly using VoiceStream's network, through a new joint venture announced this week. Look for Cingular GSM in NYC in mid-2002:

Cingular/VS Partnership in NYC, CA, NV

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MIkeP

MIkeP New Member

Currently, Cingular does not offer service in NYC but it does offer service Central Jersey which is not far from NYC. I currently live in central Jersey and I am interested in knowing what the service is like in NYC and North Jersey because my wife needs a new phone and she often travels into NYC for business.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Currently, Cingular does not offer service in NYC but it does offer service Central Jersey which is not far from NYC. I currently live in central Jersey and I am interested in knowing what the service is like in NYC and North Jersey because my wife needs a new phone and she often travels into NYC for business.

6. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Service is pretty good up here in North Jersey. It does say roaming but you are not charged for roaming. If you are interested in a cingular phone you can contact me and I will set you up but it will not be a local number. It would have to be one for central Jersey.
    And FYI: Voicestream and Cingular made that deal for the NYC area the end of last year http://www.voicestream.com/about/press/press_20001102.asp .

7. MIkeP

MIkeP New Member

Thanks dobby. So, can you get me a good deal on the 3360? If so, how can I contact you?

8. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Tell me the exact model you want. Send me an email at dobby10@optonline.net with what plan and where you are. So you can either come here or so we can mail you a contract. But we would charge you shipping on the phone if you need us to ship it. Send me an email for more info.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I've had Cingular (formerly Comcast-Cellular One)now for two years. Most of the time I'm roaming, but there's no extra charge for it. I live in the mountains of north Jersey and cannot use my phone in my own back yard! My neighbors with Verizon and Nextel get much better reception. Other than that, I've had no problems with Cingular. When I come down from the mountain the reception is fine. Customer service has been great. A billing problem was solved quickly and I had a rapid response to a question that I e-mailed to them. If they could just get a tower up here in West Milford, I'd keep their service, but I'm considering switching to Verizon.

10. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Well since they do not have plans for North Jersey yet they are not going to put up a tower. And when you are roaming you are on AT&T towers. When Cingular is released for the Tri-state area it is going to be released as GSM. No longer TDMA.