Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

HotSpot calling going away?

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by rjniles, Nov 2, 2009.

1. rjniles

rjniles Junior Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I saw a reference on another site the TMO's HotSpot calling (UMA) is being phased out. As proof the poster stated that on the TMO site they no longer list the phones that are HotSpot enabled (in fact the Nokia 7510 has disappeared from the offering). I just signed up with TMO last week (luckily no contract). I signed with TMO just to get HotSpot (UMA) calling. Anyone have any info? T-Mobileman?

2. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    I have no information regarding the matter - but a quick search on google news turned up nothing but press releases about new phones that are coming out with the UMA calling feature.

That said, I highly doubt that t-mobile is dropping this feature... but I could be wrong.

3. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    I have no information on this as of yet sorry. If you have a phone that is capable though it will aways be a feature for you to use. And I doubt that we are getting rid of it since the BB Bold we are getting has both 3G and UMA calling available as features.

4. rjniles

rjniles Junior Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I hate to disagree with the 2 posters who responded to me, but. Try searching the TMO web site, you can not find a reference to HotSpot@Home. While they may not have immediate plans to phase it out, they sure are not trying to sell it.

5. rjniles

rjniles Junior Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    A further update. I had a on line chat with a T-MO rep about a billing issue and asked if UMA- WIFI (HotSpot@Home) calling was being discontinued. The rep said it is grandfathered for new service but will be kept for existing users.

6. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    the feature is going away for unlimited calling, but that's because we are offering a killer deal for unlimited calling anyway. The benefit of enhanced reception using a UMA enabled device is still free as it has always been.

1 person likes this.
  7. wiadjoef

wiadjoef New Member

You can still find "HotSpot" phones on the T-Mob site.
    They now list them under Wi-Fi calling instead of "HotSpot"
    And
    They are all Blackberrys!

I guess T-Mob thinks Internet Voice calling is only for the business types that travel.

Joe F

8. The Robot Devil

The Robot Devil Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Curve 8520
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    T-Mobile has stopped selling HotSpot enabled handsets except for their BlackBerrys. They no longer even mention this feature in their advertising. T-Mobile also eliminated the $9.99 unlimited HotSpot Calling feature and their @Home service. Customers that currently have these service are allowed to keep them. New customers that can get one can still make the HotSpot calls, but the minutes are deducted from your plan (unless you have the unlimited calling plan).

I spent several years as an account manager for T-Mobile. The company spent millions of dollars developing and marketing this service. It was designed to provide coverage to customers that had poor (or no) service in their home or office by allowing them to make VOIP calls.

When the product launched we we told that this was going to be a huge advantage for T-Mobile over Verizon, AT&T and Sprint/Nextel and that within a year over 75% of our devices would be HotSpot enabled. This never happened and our selection of devices was poor...with the exception of the BlackBerrys.

HotSpot calling was very popular with business customers, many of whom had coverage issues in their homes and traveled internationally since you could make free international calls in certain locations via Wi-Fi. T-Mobile spent a lot of time training us on the product and encouraging us to sell it. I still have no idea why T-Mobile phased it out considering the vast amount of the company's rescources that were spent on it.

2 people like this.