Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Hot Spot changes and options at end of contract?

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by fhill, May 2, 2010.

1. fhill

fhill New Member

My Phone:
    BB 8120
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    We are at the end of our current T-Mobile contract - Family Plan 700 with unlimited hot spot calling. My wife and I each have BB 8120's that are working well. We have stayed with T-Mobile because of the hot spot feature that gives us a good signal in our home, and TMobile has served us well for 6 years. Recently called T-Mobile about options at the end of the contract and was told we can continue under current rates and services until we need to replace the phones but that the hot spot calling is no longer being offered on other plans. Other posts on this site indicated the UMA calling will continue but minutes will be counted against plan...but that was not an option that the call center rep mentioned. The issue for us is signal quality not minutes.

So, what is the latitude in maintaining the grandfathered hot-spot feature? Can we buy unlocked BB replacements and stay grandfathered? Do we keep rebuilding our existing BB's until the UMA calling options are clarified? Or should we be exploring the AT&T and Verizon micro cell options and give up on T-mobile? Are there other options that I should consider?

FJH

2. The Robot Devil

The Robot Devil Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Curve 8520
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    It is true that T-Mobile discontinued the HotSpot calling feature that allowed for free unlimited calling provided the call originated on on a Wi-Fi network. Today, all calls, regardless of origination are deducted from the bucket of minutes on your plan. I have no idea why they did this as it was a very popular feature and one that T-Mobile spent millions of dollars on development, training and promotion.

As long as you have this feature as part of your existing service you can keep it. Upgrading your device should have no effect on your existing rate plan. However if you do change your plan you will lose the free HotSpot calling feature and you will not be able to restore it. T-Mobile has also discontinued most of the handsets that were compatible with the free HotSpot calling with the exception of their BlackBerrys.

I spent over 11 years as an account manager for T-Mobile and I continue to sell the service as an Authorized Agent. If you would lik me to assist you when the time comes to upgrade send me a Private Message. I am also an Authorized Agent for AT&T Wireless, Verizon Wireless and Sprint/Nextel, so I can advise you of other carrier options.

#2 The Robot Devil, May 2, 2010
    Last edited: May 2, 2010
  3. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    we are getting more UMA phones soon so we are not phasing out this option as expected before. The latest is that Nokia, Blackberry, and samsung are going to have some new options that are UMA compatible later this year, and you can upgrade directly through tmobile right now and get a great deal. you don't have to lose the feature if you're not changing your plan.