Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Horrible AT&T 3G Service in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by cellular_freak, Sep 6, 2008.

1. cellular_freak

cellular_freak Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Ok, so I just returned from a day in Chicago on my way to a wedding in Eau Claire, WI. I have the iPhone 3G and I have not used the 3G very much on it because I don't go to anywhere that has 3G around me. So, needless to say, when I got to Chicago, I was excited about using the 3G and seeing how great the coverage was. I couldn't have been more disappointed. I'm not sure if it's my iPhone, or if it's AT&T's network, or both. My friend that has the iPhone as well was having similar problems. Even right in DOWNTOWN Chicago, my phone would go from No Service to 1 bar of 3G and then sometimes go back to full service of 2G. Every time I tried making a call even when I had full service 3G, my phone would say that the call failed. I don't understand. It must be something in the phone because I can't imagine something could be this bad with AT&T's network. But, the weird thing is, when I'm in like Flint, or Detroit and happen to pass through and have the 3G on, I never have any problems. IDK . . . .

2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Wirelessly posted (Treo 750: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0)

That is very surprising. I go to Chicago often, atleast once a month & never had any problems. I get solid 3G in and around downtown & inside hotels & restaurants. This area is actually one of AT&T's strengths, 3G was deployed pretty early there.

Maybe there was some network problems going on that day. Hopefully someone who uses their 3G phone on a daily basis in Chicago, will chime in here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 charlyee, Sep 6, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  3. cellular_freak

cellular_freak Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well one thing I did notice, and I don't know if this has anything to do with it, is that when you look at AT&T's coverage viewer with 3G on for the Chicago area, there are many "holes" and little splotches. But if you look at the ones like in Michigan, around Detroit and stuff, they are solid blue all the way through for the most part, with barely any "holes".