Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

honest opinions...

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by sensei, Jan 17, 2006.

1. sensei

sensei Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon
    can anyone give me an honest opinion based on experience of cingular vs. verizon in northern nj, mainly passaic/bergen counties? i currently have vzw and am considering changing over to cingular for countless reasons, mainly deteriorating service from vzw, poor selection and quality of phones, etc. i understand each provider has its pros and cons, but all in all, if cingular's service is on par with vzw in this area, then i think cingular would be the overall better provider in my opinion considering they have better phone selection and quality, rollover minutes, etc. i'm just concerned about the service, which is what i'm basing my decision on. thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. mcc3

mcc3 New Member

I live in north jersey. I had Verizon since 2001 and just recently switched to Cingular. I had the same concerns as you but I wanted to switch because service and call quality was not as good as it was in recent years. Plus VZW's phones suck ***!! They all stink. Crippled bluetooth and that stupid UI that they have on their phones was the last straw. I wanted a Nokia phone and since Cingular had the Nokia 6682 which is a great phone, I decided to switch. After a few weeks using Cingular, I'm kicking myself for not switching sooner. I work in Passaic county and live in bergen. I have reception everywhere and the call quality is even better. Plus I get rollover and 7pm night and weekends. I hope i've answered some of your questions. But if you really wanna make sure, i suggest trying it out. Cingular gives you 30 days. But for me, I'm not going back to VZW.

3. sensei

sensei Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon
    exactly what i was looking for. thanks so much. i've been debating for a long time, considering some people have told me that it's the phone and not the provider when it comes to service. i have the lg8100 with vzw now and i've been dropping calls and getting poor reception with it. others who have gotten the moto razr with vzw say they've been experiencing better reception and service with it, so i'm trying to distinguish if it's the phone or the provider. either way, i think i'll try the 30 day period with cingular.
    by the way, does it matter if it's cingular blue, orange or whatever color they are?

4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    If you sign up for Cingular blue/orange won't make a difference in your area as I believe integration is complete in your area already so there is no blue network. One of our moderators, Bobolito is in your area, maybe he can shed some more light on the subject.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. adgsteve

adgsteve Tower Hunting Addict

My Phone:
    Nokia 6350
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT
    You can no longer open a Cingular Blue account anyway so you would get a Cingular Orange plan. But as mentioned, network integration will eliminate those terms completely and most likely already has in your area IIRC ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

In my very Honest Opinion VZW has the Best Commercials
    than any Carrier Combine and the most Radio/TV ADS
    making them look Invincible.

But has the worst Handset/Calling Plans.

I will go w/ the Carrier w/ the Strongest Signal
    inside My House then place of Work,

Since the road Coverage does Not Matter Anymore,
    any carrier will do.
    Unless you are in a very Remote Rural Area there is a Coverage Difference.

#6 jones, Jan 18, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  7. sensei

sensei Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon
    thanks for all the replies. i have a few questions regarding cingular itself. i've done a few searches which have given a lot of info, but got a little confused with it. so:

1. what's a SIM card?
    2. do cingular phones already come with a SIM card?
    3. what's the difference between a 32k and 64k SIM card, as some people have?
    4. there is a "code" to each SIM card which will allow it to give u better service depending on your area; how will i know which one i need?
    5. does cingular have software updates for its phones like verizon does to fix any bugs or minor issues?

thanks again.

8. sensei

sensei Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon
    and i'm probably opening a can of worms, but is GSM technology newer/better/superior to CDMA? and what about 3G??

9. jones

A SIM Card contains your Phone # and Phone Book.
    It moves from Phone to Phone which CDMA Phones Don't Have.
    Only T-Mobile and Cingular have Sim Cards,
    no software *228 to do.
    Just restarting it by turning on/off
    or remove Battery
    the carrier does the work.

10. sensei

sensei Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon
    thanks. what i meant by software updates was when you actually have to take the phone to the store and have them flash it with the newest software/firmware, like i have to do with my verizon phone. i wanted to know if cingular phones required the same thing.

11. jones

No, you don't have to do this,
    it's mostly Over The Air.

12. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Sure,

1. All GSM phones have SIM cards. It is the brain of the phone, the phone being a dumb terminal. The SIM authorizes any GSM phone to work on the network (ie say Cingular). It stores your phone number, your address book, and other stuff. You can use it to switch between phones as often as you like, without calling Cingular.

2. Cingular provides you with a SIM card, and today it will be 64K, or the latest one required.

3. no 'code' is needed for service

13. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Here's the short version: chronologically, GSM is older than CDMA, but took longer to get going in the USA, so the appearance is that it's a newer technology. The question of better/superior is going to be entirely subjective - people have argued the virtues of various codecs and vocorders for years, and will continue to for years to come. GSM and CDMA both have advantages and shortfalls - the important question is ask is "will the advantage/shortfall affect me as a user".

As far as 3G...we're still a long way off from TRUE 3G service here in the USA. Cingular and VZW (with UMTS and CDMA-EVDO, respectively) are the closest right now, but unless you're a heavy mobile data user, you're probably not going to see any benefit for a while - data speeds are shooting upward, but the general experience of placing a call hasn't changed much. When the networks evolve to the point where they're supporting TRUE 3G features, like video calling, etc., then the game will change.

I never thought I'd be saying this, but I'm going to agree with Jones - you need to go with the carrier that delivers the best signal in the places you frequent - home, work, etc. If you're unsure, make good use of each carrier's trial periods. When you make a decision, but you're still apprehensive, stick to a one-year contract to minimize your commitment.

14. jones

The VZW Radio Ads Naming places in NY Metro
    where VZW works, Cingular Service works there too.
    So i don't know what they are trying say.
    I have these 2 Carriers in the Field.
    Cingular has done improvements in North Jersey
    it's have to find places where they don't work.

15. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    The only honest answer you are going to get is by doing your own research and reading unsolicited opinions from this and the Howard forums.

http://www.howardforums.com/

Be aware that there is a very good chance that the people replying to you have some kind of interest in one carrier or another.

Also, phone selection should be the last criteria for carrier selection. The first three are coverage, coverage, and coverage.

16. jones

i use Cingular everday it works,
    but their Ads are not as good as VZW.

17. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Alright, we get it. Let it go already.

18. jones

That's right, some works in this Industry
    so they Know what they're saying,
    some are not in that particular field of expertise
    though in the same Industry
    so oversteps some points.

Some are sales rep so they do a sales pitch.

19. jones

But how do you like the New VZW TV ad?

20. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yes, it is a can of worms (GSM vs CDMA), and really not relevant for voice communications in the USA anymore. 2 years ago it was, but not now. Choose the coverage AND the phone you like. Afterall, the phone is a very personnal gadget, one that you will be lugging around every day.

My personal and business reason for chosing GSM (and Cingular) is coverage, coverage, and coverage. GSM has the largest footprint in the world, being the widest used standard by a huge margin (see www.gsmworld.com for coverage areas). Cingular (and tmobile) allows me to roam for my business (and pleasure) with nearly every country in the world, using my own phone, and my same US phone number. If my mom needs to call me, while I'm in Europe say, she dials my same local phone number, and is charged only a local call rate.

Regarding 3G (or then next generation technology), that same GSM user bubble, 1.6 billion users worldwide, have accepted (via the wireless carriers)the UMTS (=3GSM=wcdma, but wcdma is not the same as or compatible with verizon's cdma, or cdma2000) as the next standard. Today's GSM 3G phones are backward compatible with GSM. Even Japan, which was all by itself for years, in terms of compatible wireless systems, has adopted 3GSM for 3G.

That is my very personal and business reason. I don't own any stock in any wireless carrier or gain any profit from promoting one or the other. It is purely coverage, globally, and today, in the US, the digital GSM coverage is or is nearly equal to CDMA digital systems, and if that is a subject for debate, by end of this year, it certainly will be not be, except for the rare, specific user location. And even that last statement, works both ways...sometime one carrier wins and vice versa. Use the 30 day trial to test it for yourself.

21. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    i concur. and phone selection is very important.

22. jones

I've Notice that in NY state Cingular does not roam w/ T-Mobile,
    so in some Rural parts of NY Cingular has Coverage,Coverage,
    Coverage while T-Mobile does'nt.

Though both carrier has roaming agreements
    w/ Dobson;
    in some places T-Mobile won't roam on Dobson where
    T-Mobile has Towers.

23. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Yes, within GSM, Cingular has a bigger footprint than Tmobile, esp outside highways and major cities.

24. jones

One examle is HARRISVILLE or EDWARDS, NY
    if you look at T-mobile Personal Coverage Check
    it shows No Coverage.
    These are both in the Adirondak areas
    yet Cingular sells Service here.

25. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I don't really care about VZW's TV ad. Or Cingular's, for that matter. Coverage, service, selection - these are things that are important to me. Glitzy ads, not so much.

26. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Getting back to the subject, the only places I know where I have difficulty (almost no signal) using my phone is inside the Pathmark supermarket in Paterson, the Kmart store in Elmwood Park on Rt. 4/Broadway and the Garden State Mall lower level inside the stores where other carriers fail anyway. I don't know any other places. Outdoor, I know of no place where I can't use my phone in NJ.

Now, places where Cingular works great in NJ, they are too many to list here, but let's just mention that Willowbrook Mall has excellent signal even deep inside Macy's!

27. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    Everything being equal phones might be a deciding factor. Unfortunately things are not equal in all areas so if you make your choice based on the phone selection your super cool phone will also serve you well in keeping your papers from flying off your desk.

28. sensei

sensei Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon
    okay, so how does the 30 day trial period with cingular work? do they give me a phone with a random phone number, and if i decide to stay after 30 days, then i can port my number and choose a phone?

also, anyone know when the moto razr v3i will be available? looks nice.

29. sensei

sensei Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon
    also, i was in best buy yesterday, and one of the sales people told me NOT to get cingular. reason being, they said, is that if you leave new jersey, cingular's roaming capabilities are so inconsistent that your service will be useless. any truth to this?

30. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    With Cingular, you sign up for service as if you were a new customer. You chose any of the Cingular plans (single, family, # of minutes...) and chose any of the phones in the store or on-line, at the price for a new customer (free $ and up).

Basically, you have 30 days to change your mind and terminate your service, no penalty. Just return your phone, and, I think, you pay a pro-rated amount for the monthly service used. No questions asked.

The phone number is assigned at time of service. I think that I've read where others were able to port a number over after that time, but I'm not really sure. I suggest you simply asked the local store, or better yet, call cingular's toll free number and ask. 800 922 5469

I think it will be awhile for the v3i, from what I've read on the forums, but check for yourself. Good luck.