Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Home vs. Preferred Nation w/ Cingular, QUESTION

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by pfp, Nov 7, 2002.

1. pfp

pfp Senior Member

Okay, so we all know with local plans with Verizon and Cingular, even if you travel off-network, as long as you're in your home area, you don't pay roaming charges. Then there's plans where you can follow the Cingular network nationwide and not get roaming, but get roaming off-network.

My question is: If you're in what would be your home area on a home-plan but you're on a preferred nation plan, if your phone is in Roam (or Extend), do you get roaming charges b/c you're off-network on a pref nat plan or do you not because you're in your home area?

Thanks for the help, don't mean to be confusing.

P

2. zamboni77

zamboni77 Supreme CadGuru

My Phone:
    Droid Turbo BN
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon who else?
    when i wanted to sign up for national preferred......i was told that it doesn't matter what you home calling area is...if it doesn't say just cingular...you pay a lot in roaming
    i constantly travel between the tdma and gsm areas of new jersey ( i live in pa ) and was told there was nothing i could do except sign up for a home plan and pay roaming while in pa...
    so now i returned to verizon and will cancel cingular next month.
    oh yeah, cingulars solution was to credit me every month for all the roaming fees...pay it up front and apply it to following bills.

bye bye cingular....hello verizon

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes, that's right. You can be in your own bedroom and if your phone switches to Cingular Extend, you are stabbed 79 cents per minute. But guess what, the same can happen with your Verizon America's Choice and AT&T National Network plans!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

My Cingular phone never switched to Extend around my home area. I think the phone is programmed with a Home SID that won't let it switch to a roaming carrier in the home area. The only thing is that this works for only 1 SID, and home areas usually cover more than 1 SID (there are at least 3 SIDs for Cingular across SE PA, South NJ, and DE).

5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It depends what your home area is. If there's more than one allowed carrier in your area (as listed in the IRDB), then the phone will prefer its home area towers first, but there's always a chance you will go to an area (maybe some basement) where the home carrier's signal is lost and the phone will automatically search for whatever else is available. If another compatible carrier is found (like AT&T or T-Mobile), then it will register with it and "Cingular Extend" will be displayed. However, if those compatible carriers are forbidden by the IRDB, then the phone will reject those towers and "No Service" will be displayed. If your phone has never switched to "Cingular Extend" is because the phone has found its home carrier everywhere you have been so far. But as I said before, there's always a chance someone else's tower will reach your phone when your home carrier's network cannot reach your phone.

The Home SID setting only helps the phone find its home carrier, however, it doesn't prevent other carriers from reaching your phone in case the home carrier signal is lost. If the IRDB forbids a particular carrier, then the phone will reject it and you will not be able to roam on it. If there's only one compatible carrier in your area, then of course your phone will not be able to find another carrier to roam on.

I'll give you an example: In my area, Cingular has agreements with T-Mobile for GSM coverage and with AT&T for TDMA coverage. The 6340 is programmed to prefer T-Mobile's network so as long as you are within range of a T-Mobile tower, you are safe. However, if you go to an area where T-Mobile's signal doesn't reach but AT&T signal is strong (like inside my office), then the phone will lose contact with T-Mobile and will register with AT&T using TDMA. I am not sure if Cingular has agreements with AT&T for its GSM network, although I don't think so. AT&T network is much better than T-Mobile in this area so the GAIT phone will be on "Extend" more often than desired.

6. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    So far, everyone who has the AT&T National Network plan here has reported that even though their phone may go to Roaming or Extended, they are not charged roaming, IF they are in their Local area. This is normally limited to a single SID.

Most users agree that this "Local" area is the same as is shown on AT&T's coverage for their $19.99 plan.

-Bill