Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

hidden menus on 6340i (Cingular)

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by astrand1, Jun 5, 2004.

1. astrand1

astrand1 New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6015i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon: Can you hear me now? Good!!
    Hi there I have a Nokia 6340i on Cingular. And I am trying to find out how I can get the "Network selection" to appear on my phone. In my user guide its under settings then phone settings and its #2 but when I scroll thru that section it goes 1,3,4,5. I was told by Nokia cs that the provider sometimes hides these functions. Can someone help me? thanks :)

2. rich6880

rich6880 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Don't hav the phone and don't know the answer, but if, I were in your situation, my first idea would be to go to the Nokia website. Once there I am sure that you will be able to email them or at least get their phone number. Send and email or call, I think that they will help you. Good luck

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    I can't tell you for sure, but I think it isn't really a matter of Cingular hiding the menu as it is a matter of Cingular removing that option from the phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. astrand1

astrand1 New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6015i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks for the comments. :) I have called Nokia and they tell me that its something that Cingular does. They said that they have no control over the menus. WhenI called Cingular they were not much help. It seems that Cingular cs people are not really trained that well. But if anyody has anyother ideas I would love to hear them! thanks!!

5. Gabriel

Gabriel TICUS AD MORTEM

My Phone:
    Motorola v551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    the reason why those menus are not comming out is not becasue of the phone, but because of the SIM card. see, the SIM card tells the cingular phone to block certain menus. i really dont know why cingular would do this, but my guess is that they dont want you switching around networks when you are roaming, so that you are forced to use only their "approved" partner.

if you unlock your phone and put in a SIM card from a different carrier, the menues will magically appear. i know because i have tried this same thing. ;) also, if you buy a phone that is factory unlocked, and put in your cingular SIM card, the menus will also magically appear. i have experience in this field too. :D

good luck

ps. as a bonus, i guarantee you will get some menues that are not listed in the manual. see, the manual is made for cingular, so there is no point on covering menus that cingular does not allow you to have... some of these menus are Call Costs and sometimes caller groups

6. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    So if you unlock your 6340, then will the menu be avalible?

7. svanwormer

svanwormer Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Only when you insert an activated SIM from say AWS or T-Mo will the Network Selection menu appear.

8. Frito

Frito Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The One And Only, VERIZON WIRELESS
    How do you unlock the phone? Whats the code? I have one here I wanted to make work on AWS? Thanks.

9. Gabriel

Gabriel TICUS AD MORTEM

My Phone:
    Motorola v551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    there are a few ways to unlock your phone. one way (the easiest and cheapest) is to find a "code generator" on the net. there lots of these for nokia phones, but not for other brands. i have not seen one so far, and i dont know why.

this generator works by using your IMEI, or serial, number. you simply type it in, and in seconds this generator comes up with a few possible combinations for your unlock code. if you have a nokia phone, i recommend you use

www.nokiafree.org

another way is to call customer service and ask for the codes, but this has proven almost useless, since companies have caught on and will almost always say no to your request.

the last way uis to get a data cable and unlocking software. you cand find them in the internet, just run a search for your phone and buy the stuff.

10. CingularRep

CingularRep Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I provide 'em all!
    There is a way to get into those menus. I just saw it recently come as an update. I can't seem to locate the details right now(can't remember where I saw it). As soon as I locate them I'll repost.

11. svanwormer

svanwormer Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    List your IMEI and I will generate the unlock code for you. I have successfully unlocked my 6340i with the program.

12. Frito

Frito Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well I have 10 of them I would like to unlock. Can you post the program or tell me were to get it? Thanks for the help.

13. svanwormer

svanwormer Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    #13 svanwormer, Jun 9, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
  14. Frito

Frito Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Got the PMs. Thank you very much for the help, it worked great!

15. astrand1

astrand1 New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6015i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Ok. well I have been able to unlock my phone so that I can put any sim card in and that works. Now can someone tell me how I can get the phone "factory unlocked" so that I can see these menus with the cingular sim card in the phone. Can this be done at a Nokia service center? if so will they do it?

16. Gabriel

Gabriel TICUS AD MORTEM

My Phone:
    Motorola v551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    wow, i think the only way you can do it is to get new firmware in there. i guess if you tell them you want the latest version of the software for your phone they will install it, but they will probably charge you money. usually, when they upgrade the software, they erase everything in your phone, so make sure you save everything.

call nokia and ask what the procedure is, and if they can do it. :D