Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Help With Verizon

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by Cbob105, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Cbob105

Cbob105 New Member

My Phone:
    LG Scoop
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel,Verizon
    While I am in Extended Network I cant do anything is that normal.I used to live in maryland and now i am in extended network and cant do anything

2. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Welcome to Wireless Advisor Cbob. This is a very common occurrence with Verizon when you're on an Extended Network Signal. I noticed you listed your location as Charlottesville, which currently does not have Verizon service as Verizon roams on Alltel and I use to experience the same thing in your area.

Do you know what type of plan you're on? You may be on an older America's Choice Plan. If you are, you can switch to one of Verizon's new Nationwide plans they began offering in November 2007 and that should correct your data roaming issues. However, read all the fine print on the new plans because you are charged per kb for data usage rather than minutes and may want to consider an additional data plan, so that is something to be aware of so that you aren't surprised with the next bill.

Here are some other threads you may want to check out regarding the new plans and data charges you may want to be aware of:
    http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/verizon-wireless-users/66605-nationwide-plans.html
    http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/verizon-wireless-users/67605-nationwide-plan-mms.html

3. Cbob105

Cbob105 New Member

My Phone:
    LG Scoop
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel,Verizon
    I just upgraded my plan not long ago I used to live in Virginia Beach and I had no problems and now that i moved here I have had nothing but problems.I called Tech Support to ask them about it and they told me that it depended on the area I was in should I just switch to alltel

4. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    If you're already on a current Nationwide plan, then I really don't know what else can be done to correct the problem. I just noticed that you have a Treo 650 listed as your device and a random thought that has crossed my mind is that Alltel now has EVDO high speed data in Charlottesville, but does not have an EVDO roaming agreement with Verizon. Perhaps, and this is only speculation, alltel is no longer maintaining problems, or devoting very little bandwidth, to its 1x roamer data network in the area??? Other than switching that line over to alltel, I'm not sure what else, if anything can be done. Especially if Verizon Tech Support doesn't have anymore ideas.

5. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Verizon does not have an EVDO roaming agreement with any other domestic providers. All US data roaming is 1X only. If the OP is using a treo, he should be able to data roam on 1X, regardless of plan... I am on the America's Choice 2 plan with a Q.

I would check the data settings in the Treo with data support... maybe something is amiss in the settings.

If the OP is not using a smartphone, the phone may not support the new plan. I ran across a post in another forum where the OP had to switch phones because of this. I'm with UFO, a company switch would be cheaper than buying a phone at full retail.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #5 QLR, Jan 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  6. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    Switch to Alltel, lower your bill and enjoy nationwide EVDO whre available on Alltel and Sprint's network. That is what I would do. Alltel is native at VA Beach too, so if you move down there again, you will still be in a native area. I would do it. My Circle would take care of any M2M problems. My personal My Circle has 6 Verizon numbers in it, 1 at&t, 1 USCC, 1 landline and my home number. Works great.

7. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Actually, there is no such things as a "roamer" network. Roamers that are allowed to roam on a certain SID, in this case Verizon roaming on ALLTEL, will get the exact same "network", which, in this case, is access to ALLTEL's 1x network as ALLTEL customers would get.

Trust me, ALLTEL is keeping up with it's 1x network, not just for data, but because ALL voice goes through 1x. It's not a question about the network being maintained or not, as ALLTEL is maintaining/expanding its 1x network now more than ever.

8. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Interesting. It was just a logical thought that I had since most of alltel's data users should be on EVDO.
    So your saying that if an area is upgraded to EVDO, the 1x network would still be maintained. Would it be possible to lower data network bandwidth provided by 1x or make alterations to it without affecting voice or are the data and voice so connected that wouldn't be an option? I only ask because it seems like from time to time I hear about somebody having problems connecting to 1x after an area is upgraded to EVDO with all the EVDO networks out now and many older phones not being able to use it. Of course it could also be a case of older phones having problems or a thousand other things.

9. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I am far from knowing exactly what ALLTEL does/doesn't do exactly with their network, but it would not make sense to not maintain the 1x network after upgrading an area to EVDO. Like I said, voice will still use 1x and a lot of phones still use 1x for data. I don't think that a carrier would lower data speeds on 1x simply because EVDO has been launched. As to whether or not you can change data speeds on 1x without affecting voice, I'm not sure since, when doing data on 1x, it is processed over the same channels as a regular voice call. Maybe someone else could shed some light on this as I may be wrong.

10. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Andy...Sprint still has 1X here in Phoenix despite the fact we are EVDO Rev A.

My phone switches over to 1X for ALL voice calls. When idle or using data, I am on the EVDO signal.

Sprint used to only allow data roaming (on Alltel) in PHX on the Alltel 1X network, even though Phoenix was (at the time) one of the few Alltel markets already upgraded to EVDO. Now Sprint allows data roaming on Alltel EVDO here in Phoenix, though I am not sure when the change took place.

11. Cbob105

Cbob105 New Member

My Phone:
    LG Scoop
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel,Verizon
    Well I Switched To Alltel 2 days ago and my bill is going to be like 20 $ cheaper. I can now download ringers and stuff and the service is much better thanks for the suggestons I love My New Wave

12. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    Good choice! You'll love it...

13. cra191w

cra191w New Member

My Phone:
    sch u340
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I get a roaming indicator in Charlottesville and Lynchburg even though there are Alltel stores in both cities. I have been wondering if there is something wrong with my phone settings. Is Alltel native in this part of Virginia?

14. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Yes, alltel is native in that part of Virginia. And no, there is nothing wrong with your phone settings.

The confusion is very understandable. Alltel's roaming indicator, unlike some other providers is based on the System ID (SID) of the network you are on. So when you pick up a new alltel phone, the only place the roaming indicator will not blink is in your 'home area SID'. Alltel has a number of SIDs in Virginia. Richmond, Norfolk (and all Hampton Roads) is SID 83. Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Culpeper, and even down to Danville and Martinsville is SID 424. Staunton, Harrisonburg, and Waynesboro is SID 1759, and far Southwest Virginia and the Tri-Cities in NE Tennessee is SID 74.

So really, when you leave your home area, you'll get a blinking roaming indicator. You could be on Sprint, Verizon, or even Alltel, there's no roaming charges, but the phone doesn't distinguish alltel from another provider. There's been a lot of talk about alltel releasing a better Roaming List later this year so that it will stop blinking when you're on a friendly roam. Hopefully this will clear up a lot of people's confusion.

And Cbob, welcome to alltel.