Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Help with Verizon phone purchase...

Discussion in 'All Other Brands of Wireless Phones' started by French, Dec 11, 2001.

1. French

French New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hi, everyone.

I am in Maryland and after MUCH research, switching, etc., have determined Verizon Wireless is the best service for me.

Having said that, I have been using a Nokia 5185 phone for several years (I had a handsfree car kit so couldn't justify a "new" phone/model).

I have NEVER been happy with my Nokia and want to purchase a new phone now. My priorities are:

1) Call Quality

2) Reception

Features would be nice, but in a nutshell I use my cell phone to make all my long distance calls so I need a phone that has good sound quality and reception. While my immediate family all live in my state, they are ALL "toll" calls on my house line.

I got kind of excited about the Samsung 300, but it doesn't look like verizon is selling it anymore. I was also interested in the Motorola 270C because of it's speaker phone feature (thought this would come in handy for the car). But I guess with accessories being so available, the speaker phone isn't necessary.

Anyone out there want to help me?

Thanks.

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

French,

You didn't mention price, but I would imagine you would want something inexpensive. An inexpensive phone with good quality and reception with alot of features then I would recommend the Motorola V120c. It is relatively new on the markeplace but the feedback I've received has been positive. Ask to see it and if you can try one. Sometimes they might have a demo line in the store or one of the salesman might be carrying the newer style phones.

3. DiverDown

DiverDown Member

I agree with WorldCom Tom, the V-120c is the best bang for your buck phone that Verizon carries, though if you want the top of the line phone with the absolute best call quality the V60c is the way to go, though you can buy three 120c's for the price of one v60'c. Also don't waste your time with the 270c, its overpriced and is a big phone, plus right now they have a promo for Verizon that if you by the motorola V120C they will give you the speakerphone attachment for it for free. I have this attachment for my Timeport through verizon and it cost me $60.00. So I would go for it.

4. French

French New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thank you for responding...since I wasn't clear on the financial part, let's add the element of, "price isn't a priority". Meaning I might be willing to spend $200 IF I'm getting a good phone.

Having said that, I did find a Samsung 300. I did purchase it, but have 15 days to return (or exchange, I guess)....

So far I like the phone (I'm partial to a flip and LOVE that toggle button), but as I said...my number one priority is call quality. I was leaning towards a Motorola phone prior to reading about the Samsung because everyone I know who has a Motorola (none Verizon subscribers, though) LOVES their phone.

I'm not so sure Samsung's call quality is what I had hoped it would be.

So I'm asking for help again...do you think I will get better call quality with the Motorola V120?

Because I am willing to spend more...if price weren't a factor, which phone would be "better" for reception/quality?

Thanks, again and I look forward to your responses!

5. DiverDown

DiverDown Member

Verizon salesmen make no money off selling the phones, the only commission they get is from selling the contract. So usually when you ask whats the best phone they never give you a definitve answer. Recently though, I was at there corporate store in Novi Michigan, and a really cool and honest worker told me straight up that there is no better phone the carry then the Motorola V-120c he said its a great deal, and the only reason it isn't more expensive is because its not smaller. But if you have seen the phone it really doesn't look that big.

Samsung on the other hand has had a terrible history with verizon, I used to have the 850 which at the time was $400 dollars, and it broke on me 4 times, so I complained and ended up getting a timeport, which has way less features, but gets great reception. Also Verizon has no plans on carrying the Samsung at any of there stores, the only stores that I heard that are carrying them are RadioShacks, when I heard this that stopped me from getting one. I am curious to know where you got yours at.

Hope this was helpful:)

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I got mine at Radio Shack, don't you know!!!

Now I'm nervous...I guess I can always go back and exchange for the Motorola. I do want a small phone, and you are right...the 120 looks to be small...smaller than my Nokia at least.

By the way, I had the Timeport (the silver clam-shell one) for a brief period of time and I have to say, that phone was awesome!! The reception AND call quality were wonderful. I only got rid of it because it was difficult justifying $400+ for it, and I still had the professionaly installed handsfree kit for the Nokia...

Radio Shack is going to kill me....

7. French

French New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    By the way...Anonymous directly above this is me...don't know what I did wrong....

Thanks for the feedback....will be checking out the Motorola.

8. BillyBob

BillyBob New Member

<< So far I like the phone (I'm partial to a flip and LOVE that toggle button), but as I said...my number one priority is call quality. q]

I know of several people who have had problems with Samsung 3500 and 8500 flips having broken connections in the earpiece after several months of use. Then again, my wife had the same problem with her startac and had to have it repaired after a year.

I like flips also and I am very happy with the LG TM510. The call quality is very good. My wife has the motorola V120c and I must admit hers has that &quot;motorola&quot; sound on reception - its very mellow and hifi-like audio. I only notice this when comparing the phones side by side.

It seems there are a lot of good phones out there these days for reasonable prices. A couple of years ago, there were wide differences but things are becoming commodity-like.

Bob