Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Help With Switching Phones

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Gabbyfire, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

Does anyone know how I can switch phones?
    I have Alltel Pay As You Go (I pay 15 cents/minute)
    A few months ago I changed from a Motorola V262 to a Nokia 2865i in hopes of getting better reception in my rural area. The Nokia can be set to analog only (better for my area I was told). The Motorola can be switched from digital to analog but will not hold that setting. The Nokia has not worked out very well and I would like to go back to using the Motorola. Can anytone tell me how to program the Motorola so it will work with my account again. (Alltel will only let you use one phone at a time) I want to keep my same account and number but just go back to using my V262. I am told if I ask Alltel to do it they charge about $40. Thanks.

2. royc

royc Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Alltel)
    Alltel does not charge for an ESN change. That's what changing from one handset to another is called. You don't even have to go to a store. Maybe some independent dealers would charge, but $40 is a huge ripoff. Just call Alltel tech support and they'll do it for free.

Call 1-800-ALLTEL1 from a landline (but in a location where you can get an Alltel signal so you can make a test call before you hangup from tech support). Select option 3 in the voice menu. Listen for the option to talk to an Alltel representative and select that. Tell the tech support representative that you want to change from your current handset to your spare V262. The rep. will verify you are the authorized user for your account and ask for the ESN (hex) of the V262. The ESN is on a label underneath the battery. You can also see the ESN from the menu on the phone.

[main menu] [phone status] [other information] [ESN]

If you did not make any changes to your V262 since you stopped using it, you should be ready to go once the tech support rep enters your ESN into the Alltel computer. If your phone needs to be reprogrammed, the rep will be able to talk you through how to do that as well.

royc

3. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

Royc, thanks - worked perfectly. I hope the cell phone co's know just how much folks like you help us...thus helping them keep their customers. Thanks again!

4. royc

royc Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Alltel)
    I'm glad I was able to help you. I think the V262 is a great phone for fringe reception areas. I've got six V262's in service (mine, wife, kids, parents) and four additional V262's as spares.

royc