Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Help with security code for voice mail

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by John88, Jul 10, 2007.

1. John88

John88 New Member

I don't know what my security code is...because it asks me to put it in for my voicemail that I'm trying to set up but I don't know what it is, any idea how I can find out that code?

2. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

If this is the first time you've accessed your VM and you are setting it up, the default passcode will be 9999. Once you put that in, it will immediately make you reset it to something YOU choose.

3. John88

John88 New Member

It asks me to put my mailbox number, I put 9999. (which works) Then it asks for my security code, I put 9999 in, but it's not the right number. The message says something like I'm sorry that is not a valid security number or something like that.

4. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I'm not sure if there are any regional differences in voice mail, but in my area, you can dial your number, wait for the voice mail recording, and hit * one time.

Then it asks for your passcode, which is originally 9999. Then it enters the system.

You may be hitting * twice, so it's asking for the mailbox number, which is your 10 digit phone number. Then when it asks for your passcode, it is 9999. I think the original passcode is only valid for so long, so if you've been trying for several days, you may need to call in and have it reset.

Now, before you can even set up your voice mail, you have to dial *78 and send.

I'm not exactly sure where your problem lies but hopefully this gave you some clues.

5. ta206

ta206 Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    It may be the last digits of your cell number. If you have access to My Account online you should be able to reset or change the passcode for your phone.

6. alltelwirelesstech

alltelwirelesstech Senior Member

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    If it is asking for your mailbox number, the voicemail did not download into the system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

There is more than one v/m platform, but most Alltel customers use the system that requires you to put in the # sign (not *) to access the v/m once the message starts.

8. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Interesting. Whenever I hit #, it jumps either forward or backwards to: "To leave a voice message, press 1 ..." You must really know your voice-mail systems though bb to catch a small detail like that.

9. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Yep it's # for my area.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

I don't know the tech details or names of the vm platforms, but I do know there are more than one. A couple of months ago they switched vm platforms in a region on the East Coast (parts of VA, I believe) and boy did we get people calling in ****** off. Now, if they would just READ the bill inserts they would have noticed a message this was going to happen and the proper procedures necessary to access the box.

God I hate it when people tell me "I don't read those inserts, I just throw them away, so what are YOU going to do about my problem?" Is it my fault you don't read the bills?

#10 bikebryan, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
  11. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

sounds as if someone is in the wrong business there. ever consider driving a garbage truck? would really cut down on your contact with customers and relieve some obvious stress. :loony:

12. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Nah, you just count to five, leave the smile on your face and help. It's just a symptom of our degrading society and it really annoys me though. It seems that nobody wants to solve things; they expect somebody to hand them the answer and want whatever they want. It seems nobody wants to accept responsibility.

An example: I dealt with a subscriber who admitted they used well over 1000 minutes in excess of their plan - and felt that, as a loyal customer of two whole years, we should just forgive that and not charge them the $400 overage. Needless to say they hung up very frustrated and ultimately $400 poorer. Why in the world woud somebody expect us to just GIVE them $400 for something they admitted to doing and are financially responsible for?

13. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You can't let it get to you, though. Your job is to help the customer, which is basically the point of this site. They do get annoying, I don't miss my time taking customer calls lo, those many years ago, but you've gotta remember that most customers are not like the customer you describe above. Not all of them are going to eat up every bit of knowledge about their service, it's not as important to them as it is to you or I. Granted, I agree with you that people need to know what they have as far as service and what they're being billed for but you really can't blame all the ignorance on the customer, some of it can be blamed on the dealers and retail agents. They sometimes omit details or sometimes out-and-out lie to customers.

It's always better to take a customer's word for it, I think, then to upset them... but yeah, the two year "loyal customer" needs to pay their bill.:lmao: I used to love getting calls like that. I wondered if they really thought they were going to get credits when they admitted that they had made the calls/sent the texts, etc.

Good times.

14. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

i know i'd never be up for that job even if most of the customers are friendly. so if i ever get out of the lawyering business, i might give that garbage truck a try myself. :D