Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Help.....Why can't I get a signal?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by JH, Aug 24, 2002.

1. JH

JH New Member

Hi,

I live in Dutchess County., NY and I have never been able to get a decent enough signal in my house to use my Star-Tac (dual band) using Verizon service, so I just signed up for a trial with Sprint (Samsung APH A460). They assured me that they have 2 towers in my area and that getting a signal would be no problem. Well, guess what? I can't get ANY signal in my house at all. It is even worse than the Verizon.

I did notice one thing. As soon as I get to the end of my road and out onto the main road, I get a signal. Same thing with both services.

What gives? Any ideas?

I really would like to keep the Sprint service,(got a GREAT deal...2 nice phones and activation for $0.00) but if I can't use the nights and weekends, or mobile to mobile why bother?

I was also told that Sprint won't cut in and out along the Taconic Parkway like Verizon does, still have to test that.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Well I'm in westchester, but if you are intent about coverage on the taconic, I would have to go with verizon. SPCS is not bad, but on the Taconic, which def. goes thru some rural areas, escecially up in dutchess (hick), go with Verizon

3. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

before your trial is up try exchanging your samsung for a sanyo 4700 or 6200 or 4900 and see if that helps. if not then sprint will not work at your home. the sanyos are the best in fringe signal areas.

4. JH

JH New Member

IdioTec,

Funny you should mention the Sanyo 4700, as that is the other phone I received. I get a slight signal in the house wiith that one, but then I lost the call/signal as soon as I move around the house.

Why does a phone get service 2 houses away( end of the street), and not in my house? Any ideas on how to solve this?????

Also, If the Verizon gets better signal on the Taconic, then I am pretty much screwed, because I lose signal at least 5 times from Dutchess to Westchester (work) with Verizon service.

Verizon also wants like $45 to switch to a family plan(they say I am still a current customer, even though the contract is up). And they want me to pay for 2 tri-mode phones. What a joke.

Do those so called "signal boosting" antenna's work?

5. Fudgehammer

Fudgehammer New Member

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Its most likely your house. The material in your walls. Or special insulation. you can kinda test that by going out your front door, or standing by an opened window.

Solution: keep sprint and buy a new house he..he

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I get no signal bar in that area but i can use the phone, though it gets drop sometimes.

8. JH

JH New Member

Nope, its not the house. If I go outside, it still doesn't work.

9. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

you just unfortunately live right outside the limit of the nearest signal. try another provider like at&t or nextel and see how they do you.

10. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thanks Idioteqnology...that's the only thing that makes sense here. You are simply outside coverage. No phone is gonna make miracles if the towers are far from your house. While its true that building materials can influence the penetration of signals, it is rarely the cause of losing coverage indoors. If the signal is weak outdoors, then indoors it will be weaker or lost entirely. If it works two houses down, most likely is because the signal is stronger there. Cellular towers, especially 1900Mhz like Sprint PCS, have a small coverage range averaging about a couple of miles, depending on terrain. Near the edge of the coverage range of the tower, signal strength will greatly vary due to a number of factors (positioning, weather, trees, walls, topography, etc., you name it). AT&T and Cingular don't have licenses to cover your area. Watchout for Nextel as they are spotty in that area. Voicestream may or may not have coverage around there so I wouldn't even look there. So it looks like the only thing you can try is Cellular One since not even Verizon is doing it. Now, if Verizon has a weak or no signal in an area, then most likely all the other carriers won't have coverage either. If you know anyone with an AT&T phone or a Cingular TDMA phone (NOT GSM) bring them to your house and see if they have signal. AT&T and Cingular (TDMA) uses Cellular One towers in your area.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. JH

JH New Member

Well, I guess I am pretty much out of options.

My wife had Cellular One and that didn't work either. With the Verizon, I can make a call if the weather is right and maybe not lose it. The Sprint gets no signal at all. I borrowed a friends Nextel and that had no service either.

Looks like I am back to square one.

Will a tri-mode Verizon phone get any better signal than a dual band? I would have to get new tri-modes anyway to get the family plan from Verizon. They are offering 2 Kyocera 2235 for $80, or 2 Audiovox 9155 for $50 when I sign for the new plan. Any thoughts on which is a better phone? They also have the Samsung SCH-T300 flipfor $30 (I guess its discontinued). Any other phone reccomendations?

Thakns for all of the help so far.

12. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I would go with the 2235 from verizon.

Sounds like you live in a bad area for all providers

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Whether tri-mode or dual, that simply means how many bands/modes the phone can search for a signal, but it doesn't directly affect the sensibility of the phone to a signal. Tri-mode phones are good for travelers since they will be moving between a variety of cellular systems and that gives them more coverage. Where one system doesn't work, they can pickup another. On Verizon and Sprint networks, Sanyos and Kyoceras are most recommended for better reception. However, don't expect a huge difference.