Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Help needed selecting phone in fringe area

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Popster, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Popster

Popster New Member

I live on the Chesapeake Bay. My house is in a dead spot- most phones don't work here. I tried two years ago a verizon with nokia phone to no avail. This December I purchased a verizon with Motorola Star Tac phone for my wife for Xmas. Although the reception is weak, the Star Tac with one exception always managed to gain a carrier (often analog) from a distant tower across the Bay. However, we had to sit/stand in front of a window to hold carrier.

The salesman told me that the Star Tac had good fringe reception and that an external antenna was available. My research has shown that no external antenna is available for the Star Tac. I was prepared to get a Yagi (Yadi) antenna and mount it on our antenna tower and run the lead into the house for home use. (The Star Tac was great in all other respects). I carry the phone while on the boat on the Bay and the Star Tac/Verizon combination was the best performance of any carrier/phone combinations.

My current problem started when my wife's phone was stolen while at a Dr.'s office. I now need to replace the phone. I have 1.5 years on my plan. As long as I have to spend the money, I may as well get the best phone for my particular requirements.

Can anyone suggest a phone that has good stand alone fringe area reception, accepts an external antenna, and works with verizon. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Cingular 800 has great coverage throughout Maryland.

3. Popster

Popster New Member

Just to be sure, is Cingular a service or a phone. I need a replacement phone for verizon service. I'll try a search on cingular 800. Thanks.

4. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Cingular is a service and not a phone.....why not just get a StartTAC again or a Time Port?

5. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hi, I am in Kent County (DE), and of course have been around the bay area. Verizon seems to work the best (compared to Cingular). The retractable antennas really helped I guess. As to the phone, I am not sure, I have heard great things about Kyoceras, try a Kyocera 2235 (the 2135 is OK....) but the 2235 is better, and right now a good deal.

6. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Can you give me a zip code for your area? Eastern etc.....there really should be a tower somewhere nearby, their rural MD coverage is pretty good.

7. Popster

Popster New Member

The price for the Star Tac from Motorola is about $250. I would get another since it did work, but would like to get one that can utilize an external mast mounted antenna. If I can mount the external antenna 40 feet up on my antenna tower (used for air tv, sat tv, and sat internet) I may be able to utilize a much closer tower and have great digital service.

[​IMG] link to picture of yagi antenna.....

Here info on yagi and other external antennas...

http://www.alternativewireless.com/cellular-antennas/yagiantennas.html

What I want to do is be able to plug in my cell phone to one of these antennas when I'm at home and the ditch the long distance service from my wire phone.

My zip is 20653

8. wxram

wxram Junior Member

Look at the motorola 270c. The reception on the phone is the best i have ever seen.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Popster,
    The StarTacs have probably the best fringe reception of the commonly available cellphones. But analog service has by far the longest range.

StarTacs do operate analog. You might want to consider one of the 'car kit/amplifiers' which are designed for use in the automobile and provide a 3 watt analog signal. You could just as easily use one in your house.

But even without the amplifier, they most definitely do make external antennas for StarTacs. You've listed at least one in your last post.

10. wxram

wxram Junior Member

I've compared the startac and 270c side by side and the 270c had better reception.

11. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

12. Popster

Popster New Member

Thanks to all for the help. My old starTAC was a 7868 tri mode phone. The 270C is a tri mode phone. The StarTAC 7760 is a dual mode phone. If the price for all phones were about equal, which would be the best phone for my intended usage.

BTW, I checked with standard communications and they do indeed sell the Clear-Connect Antenna Hook-up for bothe the StarTAC and the 270C. Anonymous, you were right on with the availability of the antenna for the StarTAC.

Thanks again for any input!

13. wxram

wxram Junior Member

Personally i like the 270c, but if you want a flip phone then go for the startac.

14. Popster

Popster New Member

I'd like to thank those that helped me with this problem. Your infornation enabled me to make a fairly reasoned decision. I ended up buying a new StarTAC from eBay. When I get it, I'm going to go on the roof and then up the tower and monitor the signal strength on the phone. Depending on what I discover, I may well get the external antenna coupler and a yagi antenna from this site.

Again, many thanks for you time and help!

15. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Alternativewireless.com sells a 3-watt booster if you need it. Also, make sure you get a couple of motorola battery chargers and a few long lasting Li-Ion batteries for your startac. You will need them as Startacs battery die pretty quick in analog.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. MVL

MVL New Member

Check out the Verizon newsgroup. There's a post that talks about changing phone settings and enabling 3-watt analog on a 7868 (with a booster antenna of course). You'll never lose reception in your house again if that is installed.

-MVL