Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

HELP!! Need to terminate contract!

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by letvia, Oct 12, 2001.

1. letvia

letvia New Member

Hi,
    I live in Texas and I am on an MCI Worldcom plan. I have an LGC-1 phone and utilize Altell. I have had sooo many problems with the phone that I purchased. My number has had to be changed 4 times: either my number (out of the blue) would be assigned to another user and I could not receive calls or make any outgoing calls, OR incoming calls would get the message "the number is not a working number...." My salesperson (who mostly works from his car and is rarely in his office) would take a couple of days to pick up the phone then a few more days just to return it to me! So, in the last month and a half, I have not been able to use my phone for a week in three instances, and now this fouth time, he has taken 3 days in which to get my phone in working order. The reception on the phone is VERY poor too and my phone has frequently cut off in the middle of some of my conversations.

If my contract states that MCIW is not liable for--well, just about ANYTHING and I'd like to terminate my contract, I feel I haven't been getting the services MCIW was supposed to provide (consistent/accessable service)and I want to terminate my contract NOW and go with a carrier who DOES do what they are getting paid to do--provide service! Any suggestions?

Below are some of the terms to the contract, as FYI:
    ..."in no event will mciW's liability for loss or damages arinsing out of mistakes, omissions, delays, errors or defects in the servce exceed an amount equal to the portion of the fixed monthly charge...
    "in no event will MCIW be liable to your or other perons: (i) for any act or omission of the underlying carrier or other non-MCIW provider of faciliteis, (ii) for intertuptions or delays in transmission, errors ior defects in transmission, or failure to transmit when such problems are caused by... causes beyond MCIW's control... etc.

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Letvia:

I don't know what the MCI penalty clause is or how many months you are into your contract. To determine the cost-effectiveness of termination, find out what the financial burden of early termination is. Weigh it against the cost of just reducing to the lowest plan and letting the contract ride itself out. (If you change plans, there might be clause that requires contract extension. If so, then determine how much the plan will cost you per month at the current plan rate to just sit and do nothing as compared to paying the termination fee.)

Recourse: If you are able to prove lack of service (as in the receipts you have for giving your salesperson your phone and again when you picked it up), you might have a case with the FCC. MCI may wish to avoid the legal hassle and terminate without penalty.

In Texas, Verizon and Cingular are pretty big. I don't know about the service for your specific area.

Kevin

3. letvia

letvia New Member

Thanks for the advice, Kevin. I have only had this plan since Sept. 06, that's why I was hoping to get some advice on terminating the plan early. There's a $200 early term. fee. so, ...not worth it. I haven't received receipts every time I've given my salesperson my phone or when he's returned it to me, though, he says all his calls to the various offices of his company (e.g., billing) are "logged in". anyway, guess I'm in for the long haul, huh?

4. Tony

Tony Junior Member

I hope it was only a 1 year contract.

5. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Go the FCC route. But also start keeping detailed records. Every time you turn your phone in for service, get a signed and dated receipt. When you pick it up, get something showing you were given the phone back. If this happens enough, they will have no choice to fess up.

The part of the contact you sighted only said they weren't liable for any FINANCIAL loss beyond the monthly plan. However, if their records show all the problems you have had, if you complain enough they might just let you out of the contract. Indicate you plan on filing a complaint with the FCC.

I don't have the FCC webpage for wireless complaints handy, but you should find it just using Yahoo. Maybe someone else knows it and will post here.

Kev