Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Help me unlock my Nokia 8390 pleeeease!!

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by xsansangirlx, Apr 18, 2002.

1. xsansangirlx

xsansangirlx New Member

Hey everyone, I posted this in msg in another section too, but figured it couldn't hurt if I put it here too...
    (only goes to show how DESPERATE I am to get this darn phone unlocked! [​IMG])

I was wondering if anyone knows how to go about getting the Nokia 8390 phone for AT&T unlocked. I bought it off of ebay fully intending to use it w/ AT&T, but when I called customer care to activate it, they said that they don't have GSM service here on the east coast! They refused to help me unlock the phone because that would completely defeat the purpose of HAVING an unlock code... ::sigh:: Theyrecommended that I just WAIT til they have service here. HA! [​IMG] I don't want to have to go SELL the phone right after I just got it, so if any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! [​IMG]

~-~-Denise~-~-

2. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

Even if you unlocked it you would not be able to use it with AT&T, the only carrier you could try after you unlock it is VoiceStream, and as for find out how to unlock it check with (howardforums.com

3. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    There are ways of getting the unlock code from providers...not neccessarily easy, but possible.

The catch is that you usually have to be the one who had the account with ATT...so you might need to try and contact the previous owner and see if they will help you with this problem.

Try this thread from howardforums.com for some scenarios to use.

4. xsansangirlx

xsansangirlx New Member

Oh, this is a brand new phone...it hasn't been activated before. I discovered the problem when I attempted to activate it this afternoon. I called voicestream and they said that I'd have to get the code from Att.

You mentioned getting it from the service provider (att)...they wouldn't give it to me. They were quite ____ about it, actually. Any tips?

I'll go check out the howardforums. thanks a lot!

5. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

I know for Cingular they are not going to give the code out the customer, the way Cingular doesn't is contact the carrier. and the pnly way they will give out the code (Reason # 1 must been a customer for a least 3 months, #2 must have good payment history.

Rules And Restrictions Back To Top

Most GSM carriers, including Cingular Wireless, "lock" their handsets so they will only accept their own network's SIM card.

Rules:

Subsidy Unlock Codes are unique to each handset, and are tied to the IMEI number.
    Any customer moving to another carrier from Cingular, or to Cingular from another carrier will require the unlock code before their handset will accept the new carrier's SIM card.
    The unlock code process should only be handled by technical support representatives. Incorrect entry of an unlock code 5 times during the life of the handset will permanently disable the ability to unlock it.
    At this time, customers moving to or from one Cingular GSM network to another (e.g.; California to South Carolina) will still require the Subsidy Unlock Code to activate service in the new home network.
    Subsidy Unlock Code(s) will not be released if a past-due balance exists on the account.
    Restrictions:

Cingular will NOT release an unlock code for an unactivated handset.
    Cingular will not release an unlock code for a single-band (GSM 1900MHz) handset for use outside of the United States as it will not operate on the GSM 900/1800MHz networks used overseas.
    Eligibility:

For closed accounts, customer must have been active with Cingular for at least 90 days, and the account must have a $0.00 balance.
    The existing accounts, the subscriber must have been active at least 30 days, and the account must not be past-due.

Customers Coming To Cingular
    Technical Support will contact the customer's previous carrier to request the unlock code. The turnaround time is dependent upon the previous carrier's response to our request. Customer Care/Technical Support should set a 3-5 day expectation with the customer.
    When Technical Support receives the unlock code from the previous carrier, they will contact the customer and instruct them how to unlock the phone, refer them to a Cingular Wireless store to purchase a new SIM, and call Customer Care to complete the activation.