Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Help me understand prepaid phones

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by jbm2324, Jul 21, 2008.

1. jbm2324

jbm2324 New Member

OK so I have an account with alltel and my phone is trash...unfortunately I did not get insurance on my phone and now have to buy one. I have been looking on ebay and other used pho9ne sites and have found many options. What I want to know is, can I buy a prepaid phone and then have them use that phone on my account? Does "wireless" mean prepaid? How do I know if I am buying a prepaid phone or a regular phone or are they all teh same???HELP!:confused:

2. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    As long as you get another Alltel phone (one that's been on their network) you can use any phone provided that it is GPS capable.

3. shango

shango Junior Member

My Phone:
    M800, v266, w315
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Just make sure its not one of those prepaids from Walmart. They have lock codes and Alltel reps have been instructed not to activate them period.

4. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

You can probably even set up prepaid if you go into an Alltel store. Just use up the minutes and do an ESN change over the phone to customer service. Just call someone after buying say 100 minutes and keep the phone on for 100 minutes.

5. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

This is bad general advice. Regular CS can't do a single thing with Prepaid phones. If you have a prepay phone NEVER call *611 or 1-800-Alltel1, we can't help you. You need to call the number that is dedicated to Prepay CS, which IIRC is 1-800-335-6401 (I'm pulling that from memory, but it is on teh website).

6. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Prepaid CS can't do ESN changes for Postpaid though Bryan. That was what I was saying and I've heard it be done before.

7. cheddar

cheddar Senior Member

The simplest thing to do is to go into an Alltel retail store and tell them you want to replace our hone without changing your plan or a contract. You will have to pay retail for the phone. This can be expensive upfront but cheaper in the long run. If you get a phone elsewhere you need to make sure that it is an Alltel phone and not locked. There's no real difference between a prepaid phone and a postpaid phone. Prepaid versus postpaid is an accounting/backend thing.

8. army1

army1 Banned

My Phone:
    obama won
    checkout net 10.com u will glad you did :cool:

9. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

There are some prepaid phones used by Alltel that are locked for prepaid ONLY. I know this for a fact as somebody called me trying to activate one on they contract acct yesterday.

10. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    Those are probably the ones sold in packages at Walmart. It shouldn't be a problem with a phone purchased at an Alltel store or authorized agent.