Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Help me decide on a phone

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by bjc1981, Apr 27, 2007.

1. bjc1981

bjc1981 New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung x427m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Hi all, I'm currently with Cingular but thinking of changing to a CDMA carrier since they seem to be the only ones with a decent signal at my house.

I believe that Alltel is generally considered the best in my area (Raleigh, NC and surrounding).

Please help me decide on a phone, here is what I am looking for:
    -Cheap
    -Speaker phone
    -Very good reception (my home is on the fringe)

-Camera is a bonus
    -Bluetooth is a bonus
    -Music player is bonus
    -I don't talk a lot, so battery isn't much of a concern

Also, I'm looking to get a family plan (2 lines). Alltel's website has a $25.00 activation fee for each phone, is there any hope at getting them to drop that at a retail store? Sprint (online at least) isn't charging anything for activation . The Sprint and Alltel stores are pretty much about 150 feet apart, hoping to use that to my advantage.

Oh one more thing, how valuable do you think analog would be considering I live on the fringe? I once had a friend over and I believe he once said that analog was all he had in my basement here - I wish I could remember for sure or not that was the case.
    Thanks.

EDIT:

I think the E815 looks like my best bet after doing further research....

2. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    The E815 is a very very good phone and is cheap because it has been out for a long while now as cell phones go. You won't be disappointed with it. I would recommend going into the store to purchase the service. Buying through Alltel.com is like buying from an authorized seller and that just creates more mess if anything should happen (such as a lemon phone, etc). So it would be better customer service-wise early on to go with a store. As far as the activation fee, I don't know the odds of getting that waived. Maybe if you get a friendly person at the store, and are friendly your self, I wouldn't use the "well Sprint is just around the corner" unless it is a last resort ;). I think you will be okay without analog, especially with a phone like the e815. What plan are looking at? For two voice lines the best deal they have now is the $79.99/month with 1000 min., My Circle, mobile to mobile, nights weekends, and a choice between 7pm nights or 1000 text/vid/pic messaging.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I also agree with your decision after your additional research. The E815 is a the way to go if you live in a fringe area! :cool: Bar none, I've seen it outdo other phones in analog. And Alltel is very good in the Raleigh area. Wow, I guess I actually haven't been there in a while now, since last summer, but I've always been happy with the coverage there.

I also agree with Strunke on going to the store, if you find that the coverage at your house is actually pretty good with Alltel, you may then decide to switch to a more fashionable, mp3 designed phone like the 8600. The E815 will play mp3's but it doesn't have the external controls for handiness so it does meet all of your needs. But if there's any possibility at all you may switch phones, definitely get it from the store.

If you're getting 2 lines, you also may want to look at the National Freedom 900 for $69 for 2 lines. You still get My Circle and can get a ton of minutes off of it. But if you text or need the nights at 7, the I would agree with Strunke that the family choice plan for $79 is the way to go.

4. bjc1981

bjc1981 New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung x427m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Thanks for the advice!

I think I will defiantly goto the store, especially have reading lots of negative reviews of _____________, the people behind Alltel online.

5. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel since May, 2006 (Cellular One 10 yrs prior)
    I think you knew what you wanted before you posted :cool: but it's always nice to hear echoes about what you're thinking of....

We're happy with Alltel for the most part and been with them for about a year now. My hubby just bought a Moto E815 phone a couple of days ago and I'm impressed with its reception and the fancy doo-dads it has. Its better than the V262 i have (and he used to have).

Definitely go into your local Alltel shop to sign up initially. Its nice to have that face-to-face in start-up phase...you just never know when you might need them :highclap: