Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Help me choose a phone?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by chuck95, Jun 28, 2007.

1. chuck95

chuck95 New Member

I'm currently with AT&T, tried Verizon for a few weeks, and still not happy with reception, so I'm going to give Sprint a try, and would appreciate some phone advice.

Here's what I'm hoping for:

- A phone that can ring AND vibrate when I get a call, not just one or the other
    - Halfway decent battery life
    - Camera with at least 1 megapixel
    - I want to use the phone to occasionally connect my laptop to the internet via bluetooth. (tethering)
    - Loud and clear speakerphone
    - Good reception in weak signal areas

Don't need the walkie talkie feature.

Any suggestions you all might have would be appreciated. I'm trying to keep the price as low as possible, but will consider spending a bit more for a really good phone.

Thanks in advance!

2. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    sanyo 8400. Good speaker, great reception, bluetooth, evdo, decent camera, good battery, idk if they even offer it anymore, but it would also be pretty cheap

3. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    I think ace got it right. The 8400 is probably a good phone for you. Reception is very good, and it has the other features you are looking for. If you can't find it from Sprint try going to stores such as Best Buy, Radio Shack or another store that carries Sprint phones and plans. If that fails go on ebay. Someone probably has a new one for $0.99 if you sign up for a contract. I assume there is the 30 day return on that but make sure you check before you buy.

4. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS - happily holding crystal clear calls!
    I have an 8400 - i second all the above opinions. Durable, friendly UI, good RF, and overall excellent phone!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. chuck95

chuck95 New Member

Thanks everyone. I've never had a Sanyo phone, and probably wouldn't even have considered one, since I remember Sanyo as a cheapo stereo maker in the 80s. But you guys convinced me to research this phone, and I've got to say it looks really great. I'm going to go to the Sprint store on Monday and give it a try.

SO... I have a few more questions!

1. I chatted with online help last night and asked about data plans. I just want to check my yahoo mail on my phone a couple of times a day, and tether to my laptop maybe a few minutes a MONTH. Is the $15 data plan really the cheapest option? I don't think I'll get my money's worth. I couldn't care less about downloading music or videos.

2. Is it easy to connect the phone to my laptop (via bluetooth or USB) to transfer:
    a - mp3 files from laptop to phone
    b - photos from phone to laptop (without spending money e-mailing them)
    Seems like these should be easy, but coming from Verizon - nothing is easy - they heavily restrict what you can do with their phones.

3. What's with this SERO thing I've been reading about on these boards? Discount plans and/or phones? How do I get this? Less than $99?

Sorry for the Sprint-newbie questions, and again, thanks for your help.

6. chuck95

chuck95 New Member

Oh, and what about "let's talk" or other online sites?
    They're selling it for $99 - $100 "instant discount", so it's free without having to deal with rebates.
    Too good to be true?

I'd rather walk out of the Sprint store with my phone on monday, but if I can save $100 ($200 for 2 phones!) that's very tempting.

OR.... Maybe I can negotiate with sprint customer service when my month is almost up saying if they want to keep me, maybe they can give me a credit or something??

7. Bill Clinton

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    I don't like Sanyo very much myself but they make a great phone. I just wish their phones were more attractive.
    SERO is the Sprint Employee Referral Offer. There are a selection of plans at very good prices. $30 a month for 500 minutes no roaming charges, unlimited night and weekend minutes starting at 7:00 p.m. and I think unlimited web on the phone. I do not know if this includes using the phone as a modem. I already have an account with Sprint so I can not take advantage of the reduced price plans unless I add a new phone. You should look into the plans though because they are very cheap and very good. They only offer select phones but then it says 'other devices available' so you will have to make sure the 8400 is offered or else pick out something else. Sprint Employee Referral Offer should get you there. You will need an e-mail address to view the plans so use chad.beecher@sprint.com You will have to call in and probably order over the phone. I don't think you can do it in a store. If you don't mind this you will save some money and get a great plan. Connecting the phone to you computer should be fairly simple. With my phones it has been a breeze so you should have no problems. I am not really sure about the different sites but I do think that if you look around you can probably find a better deal online than in the store. If you can get a SERO plan that works you will be really happy so definitely look into those.

8. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Hmm. I wonder if Chad Beecher knows or minds if his e-mail address is posted on the internet for random people to use...

9. Bill Clinton

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Chad doesn't mind but I am replacing it with Tristan's e-mail from Buzz About Wireless because it is more fitting for the issue. I was just too lazy to look it up last night. Tristan has posted this e-mail address intending to make it public for the very reason of giving people a chance to try a SERO plan. The e-mail address is tristan.kime@sprint.com so anyone can use that instead. I hope Chad doesn't miss out on a reward or something if someone signs using his name.

Well I was going to change the previous post but it won't let me go back and edit it. Is it possible for you to do this because you are a moderator? If you can do this it would be very helpful but otherwise I will try again another time.

10. misterSelf

misterSelf Junior Member

(To the OP), isn't Hudson Valley Cellular One/Dobson territory? If so, at&t just bought Dobson, so you might consider sticking it out. Otherwise, if you must go with Sprint, I would also suggest the Sanyo 8400.

11. chuck95

chuck95 New Member

Actually, I'm in the lower Hudson Valley, on the Westchester/Putnam border and I work in Manhattan. So far, Sprint is giving the best coverage I've had. Still only 1 or 2 bars at home, but that's better than 0-1 bars with Cingular and Verizon. And in Manhattan at my office (in the basement) there are only a few corners where I can't get a signal, also better than the others. And the EV-DO service seems available much more often than with my Verizon service. I love the Sanyo 8400 as well, although I haven't played with all the features yet.

About the SERO plan... Wow, that looks like a great deal. I wonder if there's a family plan too? I just e-mailed my Sprint "Communication Consultant" asking her about the program. I hope she can hook me up!