Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

HELP! I need some intelligent opinions on Alltel service. (I'm Nextel'd to death!)

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by "Toonces" The Driving Cat, Apr 7, 2006.

1. "Toonces" The Driving Cat

Wireless Provider(s):
    previouysly plagued with nextel
    I've been pitching a Alltel plan w/T2T to my husband for our personal use, since we have Nextel and its use has been completely overtaken by business use. We cannot go anywhere (including bed!!!!) without our customers calling & beeping us!

I've been telling my husband that Alltel is supposed to have good service, but he says that everybody he has ever talked to that uses Alltel claims they hate it. Supposedly they lose signal all the time or drop calls. But reality is that people exaggerate, especially racers!

I just wanted a separate, PRIVATE, personal set of phones for us. A lot of people in our industry seem to use Nextel & once they find out you have nextel, they come right out & ask for your direct connect #. Whats a person to do? Say, "No, you could end up being one of those people that call me at 10 or 11pm or on Sunday mornings. Nope. Forget it."

So, my idea was that we could enjoy having 'our personal phones' when we're out to dinner, or at the grocery store and not be CONSTANTLY called by customers because its a different network!!!! My secret network.

My husband likes the idea but doesn't want me to spend a fortune on having all these lines. We have a Nortel Networks NorStar system w/Call Pilot for the office which was almost 5G.

I almost had him convinced this morning to let me get some private Alltel phones after his nextel Motorola i530 suffered a violent death. (it just didn't know when to stop ringing.) He had me go out & buy him a new i530 after he killed his. (who is wasting $ here? :loony:)

Then this evening he calls me from the racetrack & says "Joe Racer here has Alltel & he says he hates it. Good thing you didn't get those phones today!" Then some guy gets on the phone & starts telling me how he drops calls at every racetrack he goes to. My husband gets back on the phone & says, "That seldom happens to us" & then I HANG UP FAST!! He calls right back & I say, "Well, looks like you drop calls too w/Nextel." He believed me!:lmao:

So how is Alltel's service really? We travel a lot. If I get these phones, I need them to work as good or better than Nextel everywhere from Daytona to Indy to Charlotte to Conneticut and between. If they don't I'll never live it down.

It should be as easy as just turning the darn phone off, but if my Nextelaholic Father-in-Law can't direct connect my husband we never hear the end of it!!!!!

Thank you,
    Toonces

2. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Re: HELP! I need some intelligent opinions on Alltel service. (I'm Nextel'd to death!

[QUOTE="Toonces" The Driving Cat]So how is Alltel's service really?[/QUOTE]

Depends. Here in the midwest it is outstanding. I get signal in many places other people don't. Alltel has decent customer service, a usually good (although not really right now) phone selection, competitive pricing and a decent network but you need to determine if it works well where you need it to.

Activate service when you know you'll be travelling the places you want it to work the most. Use the 15 day trial period to test it out and see if it works for you. You'll have to pay your monthly charges but as long as you return the equipment and cancel during the 15 days, you will not be billed the early disconnect penalties.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jjdu42

jjdu42 Junior Member

I have both Nextel and Alltel.......We did have all Nextel but the service was so crappy that we started getting a few phones at a time with alltel with their T2T service. I now have all of my lines converted to alltel and it is a night and day difference. No comparison.....I wouldn't go back to Nextel if they paid me! Now keep in mind different areas are different but all in all I sticking with alltel.......good luck

PS....the service was so bad with Nextel that I paid an ETF with the last four lines (4x200=$800)......yep that bad here in MS

4. "Toonces" The Driving Cat

Wireless Provider(s):
    Well the girl at the Alltel store didn't mention a 15 day trial period. I swear. I'd not only remember that detail, but it would be embedded in my husbands subconscious by now!

Heck! That puts a whole new light on it! This ones in the bag! ;)

Now I just have to choose between the Kyocera KX440 or KX12. Girl said the're the only two w/T2T. Any imput on these? The only phones I've ever really used have always been Nokias or Motos.

Hubby does like the durability of the Motorola i530, although there are limits to what a phone can take. ( I witnessed that one personally :wink: )

BTW, you've made me a happy girl!!! :)

Thank you.

5. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Re: HELP! I need some intelligent opinions on Alltel service. (I'm Nextel'd to death!

Well everywhere I have been with Alltel the service has been great. I cannot vouch for North Carolina though. I also don't have any experience with the PTT, Kyoceras are usually pretty good phones. Especially for the price. In Indy you will likely be on the Verizon Wireless network, which is pretty much the best quality wise. Alltel has a free roaming agreement with Verizon so you won't have to pay anything more then normal minutes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    [QUOTE="Toonces" The Driving Cat]Well the girl at the Alltel store didn't mention a 15 day trial period. I swear.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah... that would be because she works on comission and doesn't want you cancelling during the trial period.

[QUOTE="Toonces" The Driving Cat]Now I just have to choose between the Kyocera KX440 or KX12. Girl said the're the only two w/T2T. Any imput on these? The only phones I've ever really used have always been Nokias or Motos.

Hubby does like the durability of the Motorola i530.[/QUOTE]
    Personally, I would go with the KX12 over the KX440, the KX12 is more ruggedized than the KX440, but neither of these phones will be able to stand up to the abuse of a Motorola i530. I wish Motorola would make rugged, NEXTEL-style phones for other providers.

By the way, I love your username.

#6 MOTOhooligan, Apr 8, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  7. jjdu42

jjdu42 Junior Member

North Carolina service for alltel is really good.....you won't have a problem there......they also have the LG AX4750 flip with T2T. I'm using one this week. I normally carry Kyocera stuff but decided to try this out for a week. I will probably get the KX12 today. I've been using kyocra phones for many years even the days with Sprint.....actually the reason I tried alltel service was because I liked kyocera and Sprint wasn't getting any new ones and alltel was......been with alltel since 04 with kyocera. I even have a kyocera KPC650 aircard with alltel....good stuff IMO.

8. budone

budone Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel

Two years ago when I left the company I worked for, I wondered how I would live without Nextel.

My daughter convinced me to go with Alltel. There is no comparison. Coverage is vastly larger than NEXTEL.

I have used my Alltel at Indy and Bristol, and never a dropped call or a wait to get on the system. And it works in the UP of Michigan, which Nextel will never service in the forseeable future.

The ONLY area you may have an issue will be in KY if you go to KY Speedway. You will get service, but 95% of that state is roaming at 59c/minute. OUCH

Also, Alltel has a plan they do not advertise that basically has you with free roaming across the country, it is named Total Freedom.

I would take the plunge and use those 15 days to your advantage!!!!!

9. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Coverage is larger than anyone... Alltel has coverage over 51% of the physical continental United States. They also have roaming agreements with Verizon and Sprint which give their National Freedom plans a pretty hefty coverage area but it is still possible to get roaming on a National Freedom plan.

The Total Fredom plan budone describes has less minutes than the National Freedom but covers you anywhere you can use your phone. If you get signal, you won't be charged for roaming.

10. mjb50501

mjb50501 Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    alltel employee
    i have inside info wait till end of month or at least until april 22 or 23rd alltel releasing a new promo that will blow you away i am an employee and i cant wait

11. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    [QUOTE="Toonces" The Driving Cat]I've been pitching a Alltel plan w/T2T to my husband for our personal use, since we have Nextel and its use has been completely overtaken by business use. We cannot go anywhere (including bed!!!!) without our customers calling & beeping us!

I've been telling my husband that Alltel is supposed to have good service, but he says that everybody he has ever talked to that uses Alltel claims they hate it. Supposedly they lose signal all the time or drop calls. But reality is that people exaggerate, especially racers!

I just wanted a separate, PRIVATE, personal set of phones for us. A lot of people in our industry seem to use Nextel & once they find out you have nextel, they come right out & ask for your direct connect #. Whats a person to do? Say, "No, you could end up being one of those people that call me at 10 or 11pm or on Sunday mornings. Nope. Forget it."

So, my idea was that we could enjoy having 'our personal phones' when we're out to dinner, or at the grocery store and not be CONSTANTLY called by customers because its a different network!!!! My secret network.

My husband likes the idea but doesn't want me to spend a fortune on having all these lines. We have a Nortel Networks NorStar system w/Call Pilot for the office which was almost 5G.

I almost had him convinced this morning to let me get some private Alltel phones after his nextel Motorola i530 suffered a violent death. (it just didn't know when to stop ringing.) He had me go out & buy him a new i530 after he killed his. (who is wasting $ here? :loony:)

Then this evening he calls me from the racetrack & says "Joe Racer here has Alltel & he says he hates it. Good thing you didn't get those phones today!" Then some guy gets on the phone & starts telling me how he drops calls at every racetrack he goes to. My husband gets back on the phone & says, "That seldom happens to us" & then I HANG UP FAST!! He calls right back & I say, "Well, looks like you drop calls too w/Nextel." He believed me!:lmao:

So how is Alltel's service really? We travel a lot. If I get these phones, I need them to work as good or better than Nextel everywhere from Daytona to Indy to Charlotte to Conneticut and between. If they don't I'll never live it down.

It should be as easy as just turning the darn phone off, but if my Nextelaholic Father-in-Law can't direct connect my husband we never hear the end of it!!!!!

Thank you,
    Toonces[/QUOTE]

I drive throughout NC and Alltel has the best coverage hands down!

12. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Any updates, Toonces? How is Alltel working out for you?

How is your husband taking it?:eek:

13. "Toonces" The Driving Cat

Wireless Provider(s):
    Hi!

Well, it took a while but as of today we both have Alltel phones. I got mine first, (less than 2 weeks ago) now he has one too. :D

Sure wish I had followed your advice on getting the KX12. My hubby chose that one. I looked at it in the store but never turned it on to check it out. Dumb me...because its a COOL Phone!!! I ended up with the KX440, I liked the way it felt in my hand & I played with the salesgirl's kx440 and decided it was the more girly of the two T2T models.

The Nextels will be laid to rest on June 20. :wink:

Thank you very much for your advice, you & everybody else, too. :)
    Hope business is going well for you. Are you kickn' butt & signing up the masses?

Toonces

14. budone

budone Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel

You converted Hubby...... That had to take some doin!!!!!

Congrats!!!!

15. foufymaus

foufymaus Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG Glimmer
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    hey there how s the new alltel phones coming along?

16. "Toonces" The Driving Cat

Wireless Provider(s):

Service is good. Very happy. I guess we're very hard on phones 'cause we need new ones. Will have to do that sometime soon.

17. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial

That's good that you are liking the service. Kyoceras are not nearly as long lasting as Motorolas. I think Alltel has some new P2T phones now if you still want that feature.