Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Help! How do I convert my Verizon phone to Alltel?

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by screwdriver131, May 16, 2006.

1. screwdriver131

screwdriver131 New Member

I have a Motorola V3c Razr with Verizon software version GATW_01.0F.03 and I have Alltel service. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I might be able to convert to ALLtel software. I cannot use the internet or send media because I don't have the right software for the alltel network.

PLEASE HELP!

thanks

jenn

2. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You have to get your phone flashed with Alltel's V3c software version, which currently is GATW_04.06.00R.

The problem is that Alltel sales offices will not flash a Verizon handset. It can create problems with the phone and even turn it into a paperweight. You can use your Verizon V3c on Alltel's network for voice and SMS but data, MMS, etc. will not be able to be used.

I'll bet if you try HoFo or MotoModders you can find an Alltel version of the V3c software and flash the phone yourself. All you need is a data cable and lots of time to read so you don't turn your RAZR into a paperweight.

Good luck!:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. screwdriver131

Sorry I am very new to this so I might sound a bit dumb but is the software a cd or something I can download and do I have to purchase it? I went to HoFo and looked but couldnt find anything...

4. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No, it's the software in your phone. You can usually find phone software (known as firmware) as filetype .rar. For example, if you found the current Alltel version of the V3c firmware, it would be listed similar to this...

GATW_04.06.00R.rar

This thread at MotoModders has some additional information and you may want to take a look at Jay's Reference Base for more resources. The Reference Base is a sticky thread at the top of the Motorola Forum here at Wireless Advisor.com.

Basically, you're going to have to pour over HoFo and MotoModders to find the firmware and then prepare to read a whole lot to figure out how to flash the firmware into your Verizon phone without killing it.

It will be a long process but worth it in the long run as it will increase the functionality of your handset.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. screwdriver131

6. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
  7. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Let's be quite clear and lawyerly, though, and say that you're doing this at your own risk -- just because it was posted here (or at HowardForums, though I can't pretend to speak for them) doesn't mean we endorse it.

The RIGHT thing to do is to go buy a RAZR from Alltel.

8. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Sorry about that Zaph... I'm usually quite good about the caveats.

You can seriously mess up your phone by doing this, it will void your warranty and may cause other, unforseen problems.

Also, it very well may be illegal.

9. screwdriver131

Well I sold the phone for $300 to a Verizon customer and I bought a Razr with the ALLTEL software on it. It is so much better! Thanks for the help guys!

10. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I'm glad to hear it has worked out for you.

11. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Oh sure... take the easy way out! :D
    j/k

12. BluGen2

BluGen2 New Member

For thoses of you who used the verizon razr with alltel did you have to dial 1 and the area code to dial out and did you have any roaming chrges because of this?

13. alltelwirelesstech

alltelwirelesstech Senior Member

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    If you are getting that, then your phone is hitting verizon instead of alltel. sounds like you do not have alltel software and PRL in the phone. To fox this, flash the phone. you may get someone in retail to do it although its againts our policy. alltel policy is not to activate any other company's phone. used to, as long as we could flash it we would but after some phones got fried and angry customers wanted us to replace them, which we wouldn't we changed the policy. It is possible to get roaming charges if it is hitting verizon in an area we have service in, since our roaming agreement is for areas where we do not have service (except j-ville, fl)

14. BluGen2

BluGen2 New Member

I called alltel and they said they wont flash it for me so is there anyway for me to get the prl and flash it myself i allready have the alltel software. Its worth the risk of frying the phone cause i got it for free.

15. cheetahfeathers

cheetahfeathers New Member

I flashed a verizon phone to Alltel using the howardforums wiki. I did not do any of the optional SEEMs. I activated it easily, and in fact took it in to an Alltel center to verify everything was working fine from their end. I was fortunate to have an experienced person helping me, who used to work in tech support and was reasonable to work with despite the fact that it was not an Alltel factory phone (it helped that it was a v3c 'pink' model, and she wanted one too but couldn't get one through Alltel). The software shown in the settings is GATW_04.04.00R - so it should be properly flashed to Alltel software. (in reply to the other post above, although obviously SOMETHING didn't get changed correctly).

Everything works fine, except:
    1. MMS is not functional (as noted in many places)
    2. We have to dial the full area code for every call. Otherwise, we get a "welcome to verizon wireless... you must dial.... etc." roaming message. The roaming icon is always lit. I do not know yet if we are going to be hit with extra charges, but I do have a national plan so I'm hoping not.

I would REALLY like to know if somebody has a fix for this, to reset the location / where the phone is trying to connect. It couldn't be the PRL file, could it? I didn't try to update that using the mods, but I couldn't find anything in the wiki to cover what seems to be my problem!!!!

16. cheetahfeathers

Addenda: I entered the programming codes to make sure the flashed Verizon v3c had all the same NAM1 and other settings match an original Alltel v3c tha tI have. Right on down the line - AMPS / CDMA sys ID, CDMA network, 1st Channel A&B, 2nd Channel A&B, all the same now.

Unfortunately, the flashed v3c still shows roaming. If I go to settings>network>current system, the Sys ID and Net ID do not appear to be updated...?

17. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Have you tried *228 yet? Now that you have it flashed that may solve your problem. Also I'm pretty sure you will not be charge for dialing 1, it won't matter anyway because all plans vzw, alltel, cingular, sprint, etc. long distance is the same as local and just comes out of your minutes as normal. Whether you have the Greater Freedom plan or the National Plan.

If you dial *228 you will know it was succesful when it says welcome to alltel....if you dialed it and it still didn't come up, try selecting "Home Only" in the network settings and dial again, just change back to "Standard Scan" after you have dialed *228 and gotten through. It may say activation unsucessful even, don't listen to that, if the roaming stops then it worked.

18. cheetahfeathers

Hey, Strunke, that did the trick!

I had tried *228 before, but it failed each time. But resetting to "home" and then doing *228 took me right to the alltell activation upgrade response, and that took care of the roaming. I owe you a beer.

19. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Haha, that's good. You can switch it back to standard scan without trouble now i think, but if it does start acting up just do it again in home only. Your welcome, enjoy Alltel!

20. alltelwirelesstech

alltelwirelesstech Senior Member

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    You beat me to it, i was goint to have him try the home only trick and hope that the alltel was not in the negative prl file of the phone so it would find it. If it is negative (for others trying this in a different area) it won't work unless you have a Nokia where you can manually edit the PRL in the phone.

21. bensc236

bensc236 New Member

How about a samsung alias sch u740? thanks in advance.

[​IMG]