Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Help deciding which phone

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by vicken, Feb 13, 2007.

1. vicken

vicken Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If I go with Sprint, I am going to get the SERO plan but I need help deciding which phone to go with. I have narrowed it down to the following: MOTO razr v3m, Samsung A640, and LG Fusic LX550(CNET ranked high). I think I would lean towards the razr because it is cheaper, but my main priority is that I want excellent call quality and strong reception. I don't really care about any of the other things(power vision, texting, music, etc.).

Any advice or experiences with these phones is highly appreciated.

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Have you considered the Sanyo Katana? It's a little bit less than the Razr mainly because it doesn't have power Vision. Just regular Vision.

3. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i have the RAZR V3m and i like it a lot..........good reception and good call quality..........speakerphone is pretty good too on regular volume but turned up it starts to lose quality..........it comes wth a handsfree headset and the voice recognition software does an extremely good job at recognizin names spoken by you......

you select the button on your headset and then say the name..........it does a really good job if you speak clearly.........

all around........i am very satisfied with the phone............not sure about the Katana but i've heard its generally a good phone.......

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. vicken

vicken Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Larry, what is the difference between vision and power vision? Does the Katana get clearer calls and better reception than the others I listed?

5. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Power Vision is EV-DO which means that speeds will be around the same speeds as that of DSL..........it really depends on your area cuz there are different versions.........the newer one gives you faster speeds but not all areas have it.....Sprint is trying to finish upgrading all of its network to this new EV-DO........it happens to be callled Rev A

regular vision is 1xRTT which means its around the speed of dial up......larry will have to comment on the reception and call-quality of the katana..........i havent had the pleasure of testing it

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. vicken

vicken Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    So if you get vision or power vision, it's basically the same thing except the speed is different? With the SERO plan it says unlimited vision or power vision, what does it mean? What services does this include?

7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Based on what I've read around the forums the Katana has been a good performer with a good reputation so far. The Katana is a regular Vision phone. This means the internet speeds won't be as fast and the data offerings of Power Vision are better. Power Vision has the capability of more advanced features such as Sprint TV. But if you don't really don't plan on using it that much then regular Vision should be fine. I still use regular Vision because I get a very good deal on it.

One negative thing I've been hearing about the Razr and Krzr is that the menu functions can be a little slow or sluggish to respond when pressed.

8. blaqnite75

blaqnite75 New Member

I have one that I would like to throw into the hat. The Samsung SPH-M500. I have it, and think it may make for a great fit for you. It is cheaper than both the RAZR and KATANA, and offers stereo bluetooth, something neither phone has.:browani:

9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Too bad they no longer sell the LG LX-350. It's the best all around non Non-EVDO phone IMO. They stopped selling it because they gave it to Disney to offer instead.

10. vicken

vicken Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    the m500 isnt offered on the sero website. im limited on what i can get.

11. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have the Katana and I like it a lot. With that in mind, if I was on SERO and I was getting either Vision or Power Vision free, I would probably go with a power vision phone to take better advantage of the free internet offer that comes with the SERO plans. I like the Katana because the regular Vision plan is cheaper for me ($10 vs. $20) and I do not think the speed of EV-DO is worth an extra $10.

12. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I agree with you. I would rather pay $10 for regular Vision than $20 for Power Vision. But of course I also get unlimited text and pictures with my $10 plan.

13. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Power Vision and Vision basically encompass general data usage........so the SERO plans say that Power Vision and Vision are included but the basically means unlimited data........so anything on your phone that uses data is free to use..........Web, some Applications.......and lots of other things.......like the Sprint music store.........