Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Help a newbie out...

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by MarkTX, Jan 13, 2007.

1. MarkTX

MarkTX New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I wasn't sure were to put this question so I thought I try here first (not sure if its a Motorola question, or Alltel question, or Windows XP question, or V3m question :rolleyes: ).

Okay so I've got my new Alltel V3m working on my new Alltel contract and now I'm thinking I'd like to load a few tunes from my computer to my V3m. So I bought a Lexar microSD card with adapter (to plug into my desktop pc's SD card reader).

I first put the microSD into the phone and formatted the card. Then I removed the microSD card popped it into the adapter and then put the adapter into the PC's SD card slot. The PC's light came on indicating it knows I put a card in, but nothing else happens. I can't get the PC to detect the microSD card at all -no funny messages about new hardware or driver's needed or nuthing. Went into Media Player and still nuthin' -pressed F5 and its just not seeing the microSD card.

So how bout it ? What obvious step did I miss ?

Do I need to purchase some special software to do this stuff ? Or maybe my PC needs some goofy update (its all up to date I think :confused: ). Absolutly no instructions came with the microSD card -so I don't think Lexar is gonna be much help...

Thanks for any help or directions...

2. a42887

a42887 Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Compaq laptop has the built-in media reader, and it is finicky with the TransFlash card (through adaptor) too. I just usually take it in and out a few times until I see it show up as a removable disk in My Computer. Don't know why its a pain, but I've just accepted it as 'the way it is'.

3. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    If your flash reader is too old, it may not be able to read the card. My previous flash reader was capable of reading xD cards, just not the "M" type. The PC behavior when an "M" xD card was inserted was exactly like the one you describe. Try to check the flash reader manufacturer's site to see if they support the size/type.

4. MarkTX

MarkTX New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I'm guessing you're right on this. My PC at home is a HP Pavillion and as I recall I purchased it 11/04. I know the SD reader works because I use it all the time putting pics from my camera on my PC by just popping the SD card in.

Assuming there's no way to get this PC's reader to function with the new microSD card -is there a simple way to put a few tunes from my PC onto the microSD card by hooking up the phone through USB (obviously with the microSD installed in the phone ?

I'll try searching in the RAZR threads to see how, but if any of you wiz-kids can send me to the "tutorial for dumbguys" link -I'll be sure to send some Texas sunshine to your area in Feb :D

5. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    That's pretty much up to the RAZR -- I don't know if it implements a mass storage interface. My Nokia 6131 does, so when I connect it to the PC it asks whether I want to switch to "Data transfer" mode (when the flash card is inserted). If I say yes a new removable drive appears.

6. MarkTX

MarkTX New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Well, back to square one... Went and bought a new card reader/writer to hook up to a USB port in the back of the computer and got the same result. Light comes on but computer never sees I put the microSD into the reader.

The reader lists T-Flash as one of the cards its read/writes.

Both the original reader that came with the computer (HP Pavilion a735w) and now the new reader can recongnize when I put a standard SD card into the slot -but all I get is the light when I put the microSD card in.

The microSD card seems to work fine when installed in the phone.

I'm stumped as to what to do next. Whats the point of a card that won't hook up through a USB port on a 2year old computer... sigh

7. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    That's quite puzzling -- is there any driver for your new reader? I assume you're running WinXP SP2, so there should be no need for the driver, but still, since the reader claims the Transflash compatibility it should work. You don't have any question marks in the Device Manager in the Control Panel, do you?

8. Praetorian

Praetorian Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I dont have a V3m but i had a similar problem, Cept i got my old usb card reader to work. It took a while but i found the updated drivers that it needed for the card reader to read newer cards.

Google your card reader and search for like "cardreader model Drivers"

without the quotes and put your model number of the card reader in there.

Give that a try and see.

And maybe try a different usb port. Sometimes something can go wrong in one usb port but not the other.

9. Shockwave13

Shockwave13 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto V9m RAZR2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel =)
    I ran into this with my Samsung before i got rid of it and back when i had my RAZRm phone with Verizon. Turned out to be an issue with the card.. but you asked was there another way to get tunes on the card... if you have bluetooth or a bluetooth adp on your pc. You can link the pc and your V3m together. When you go to OBEX file transfer one of the options it gives is the media card mass storage. If its already formatted then you can just put media in the correct folders and everything will work fine. Just an fyi make sure you format the card first otherwise you will have issue setting up MP3 ringtones from the card. I think in the Bluetooth obex once you go into that on your pc. You have to go into motorola folder or something like that.. anyway it sees the micro card and you can just save stuff directly to it via bluetooth... if you dont have bluetooth i dont know what else to do unless you have a datacable and it reads the card as part of the phone memory as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. MarkTX

MarkTX New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Okay- I'm back at it... :rolleyes:

Got a MicroSD card reader, one that lets you install the microSD card directly into it rather than using an SD adapter.

The computer now recongnizes the reader and sees the MicroSD card is installed. I'm able to see all the folders that the phone installed when I formatted the microSD card.

So I tried moving some wma music files into the audio folder located in the shared folder of the motorola folder :browani: I even tried renaming the songs so the titles were 10 alpha characters long. But when I put the card back in the phone and go to media audio section I don't see my music :loony:

What did I miss ? I think I'm sooooo close to getting this to work -but still I got bubkiss :mad:

11. Shockwave13

Shockwave13 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto V9m RAZR2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel =)
    The V3m doesnt recognize WMA files.. they have to be either Midi or MP3 if i recall correctly.. thats why it doesnt see them most likely.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. MarkTX

MarkTX New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel

Success !!! :patriot:

I had to burn a CD so that I could then alter the format when I ripped the songs and sent em to the microSD. Probably a more elegant way to do that but that worked so I'm good to go -thanks for all the help.

I even managed to move one song to the phone's memory so it could be used as a ringtone :biggrin:

13. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Glad to hear you got it all worked out! Yes, there are ways to bypass burning a CD step, but if you don't need to do it often you probably can let it slide.