Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

help a newbie out

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by kpgraphix, Aug 25, 2004.

1. kpgraphix

kpgraphix New Member

Hi all, alot of great info here. I have a nokia 252c (i know, i know...but it's hard to teach a dinosaur a new phone) I've had the phone for years with no problems. I went out of town and the phone read roaming and ever since I've been back it almost always reads "no service". I called tracfone, read the manual and used their case# service and they all say that I'm out of range. How could this have happened in the last month, after more than 4 years of service. Any ideas what happened, or did service change? Kinda new to all of this. How do I know who carries my service. I live in upstate NY, about 30 miles south of syracuse. Thanks in advance....Kenn

PS. I sent this to the wrong forum earlier

2. rich6880

rich6880 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    This is a tough one, but I will do the best that I can. First your provider is the company that receives your check every month, or charges your credit card.

I really doubt that the service changed after your one month trip, but it is possible.

Try the following, dial the customer service number that appears on your bill. Ask them to help you, or you can dial *611 to find out the name of your provider. If they cannot help you and your provider is Verizon, dial *228 and then go for option 2, this may help.

If not, shut the phone off, take out the battery and then put it back in, this works sometimes.

Still does not work, I think that you need a new phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kpgraphix

kpgraphix New Member

Richard, Thanks for the reply. No bill to look at, this is a prepaid tracfone. How do I find out who provides service with this. Looking for an inexpensive service, no bells and whistles. Just something to have for convenience. any suggestions....Thanks again

kenn

4. rich6880

rich6880 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Ken, sorry do not know too much about tracfones, but try calling *611, see if you get any type of customer service if you do you can ask them about your problem.

You are very lucky to stumble onto this forum, later tonight when the others get home from school and work, you will be getting many suggestions and ideas. I am sure some of them will work. If not, it may be time for a new phone. I do not know how much use you get out of the phone. If it is minimal and just for emergencies you may be able to buy or get a cheap phone from Ebay or some other source. You do not even need to pay for service as 911 is always available.

Sorry, I could not be of more help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kpgraphix

kpgraphix New Member

Richard,

I appreciate the response. Don't use the phone much. Just to call home when on the road and the occasional calls I receive. This has me perplexed. If it had happened when I got the phone originally I wouldn't be surprised, but all of a sudden I get the message. Maybe it's time to look into another phone (not prepaid) and bite the bullet and sign up for service. Thanks for your help. Know of any inexpensive service that fits my usage?

Kenn

6. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    With TracFone, the actual carrier depends on the location. They use multiple carriers.

Your best bet would be to call their customer service number and explain what is happening. Hopefully, they will be able to help you.

7. kpgraphix

kpgraphix New Member

Thanks Edward, I'll call them. I appreciate the response