Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Hawaii

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Airb330, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I just took a trip to Honolulu and the island of Oahu (I dunno why I put Hawaii before....maybe since I'm still on Hawaiin time! lol). I had great coverage there, even the remote areas, with mountains on one side and beach on the other (with no tower in site). Digital 100%! I do realize this is where most of the state's population was, but I was still impressed. Is anyone else there, that well covered?

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Were you roaming on Sprint or was it Verizon's own signal? Sprint bought the PrimeCo network there in 1999 and since have greatly expanded it.

3. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

I'll have to check but I think Verizon has it's own native coverage there. On another forum, one user mentioned that Verizon and Voicestream were the 2 best carriers in Hawaii.

4. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    I was there last month and I also was surprised. I expected Honolulu to be universally-covered, and it is. The Big Island was very well-covered by Verizon. The mountain slopes are so gentle it is almost as if it were plains, and the cell sites along the roads near the coast also served the roads along the mountains, all the way to the top.

AT&T was almost identical on the BI, but got better signal down at the south tip. Verizon has better service in Volcano Park, they have a tall digital site right near the park entrance. Sprint was predicatable: good service on the BI down as far as Kailua then stops. But they also benefit from the easy slopes, coverage in the north was usuable, but nothing like AT&T & Verizon. I didn't try VoiceStream.

On Kuaui, Verizon was digital and AT&T was totally analog, we didn't try Sprint or VS there. Verizon had perfect coverage around the coast, right up to Princeville!

They sold AT&T at Wal-Mart, but Verizon had their own stores. I wish I stopped in. When I finally read some of the local papers on the plane back, I found they had phones on sale at very good prices (v60c=$50!)

-Bill Radio

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

There is a user somewhere on this forum that posted good things about Voicestream in Hawaii. I also know someone with a Treo 270 there and they said that they have good coverage too.

6. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah, it was Verizon's network, it was GTE Hawaiin Tel before so it's a nice mature network. Most people I saw had Verizon, then many with ATT and VS. Looks like VZW has the best coverage, then VS.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Boss is leaving this Sunday for two weeks in Hawaii (Honolulu, Maui, and Kauai) during a crucial project time. We are about to find out how good SPRINT service is there. And he is truly worried!! Doesn't trust us to get the deal right without him. But it's a long planned family event and he has to go -- or file for divorce.

Having been there myself, I know Verizon has service just about everywhere -- certainly where he's going.
    We've suggested he get a Verizon phone -- quick....

8. Need

Need New Member

Sprint was pretty good in Maui when I was there last year. It took a long time for my phone to find signal when I first turn it on after I landed, but after that it was fine.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I was on Kauai in February with an AT&T phone, and I got full or nearly full-strength digital signal ("Extended Area" from a roaming partner, probably Cingular) all the way from Poipu at the south end to Hanalei at the north end. At Haena Point, on the beach, signal was either analog roam or (weak) "Extended Area" digital, depending on the tide, the cycle of the moon, and the mood of the Hawaiian gods.

All this was with a Panasonic Allure.