Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Having trouble downloading song using iDen Web Java

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by MUHillbilly, Nov 26, 2005.

1. MUHillbilly

MUHillbilly Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V325
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I'm having trouble downloading ring tones using the Motorola iDen Web Java Application Loader. It says that it only accepts MIDI formats, but I know for a fact this isn't true b/c I've downloaded songs before (a long time ago) in other formats. Right now I'm trying to download in MP3 and WAV formats.

I'm getting the message AT THE VERY END OF THE DOWNLOAD (when its finished downloading):

"A general communication error occurred while communicating to the phone. You may try setting the phone Baud Rate to 19200."

I set both the program and the phone to 19200 and it still didn't work.

I can download wallpaper in GIF without getting this message and it works fine.

What am I doing wrong? It's been awhile since I've put rigntones (songs) on my i560, but I HAVE DONE IT. I'm thinking I may have just forgotten the secret to it!

2. MUHillbilly

MUHillbilly Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V325
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Having trouble downloading songs using iDEN Web Java Application Loader

I'm having trouble downloading ring tones using the Motorola iDEN Web Java Application Loader. It says that it only accepts MIDI formats, but I know for a fact this isn't true b/c I've downloaded songs before (a long time ago) in other formats. Right now I'm trying to download in MP3 and WAV formats.

I'm getting the message AT THE VERY END OF THE DOWNLOAD (when its finished downloading):

"A general communication error occurred while communicating to the phone. You may try setting the phone Baud Rate to 19200."

I set both the program and the phone to 19200 and it still didn't work.

I can download wallpaper in GIF without getting this message and it works fine.

What am I doing wrong? It's been awhile since I've put rigntones (songs) on my i560, but I HAVE DONE IT. I'm thinking I may have just forgotten the secret to it!

3. fastprairie

fastprairie New Member

having the same problem wondering if you found a solution

4. paulmac

paulmac Senior Member

My Phone:
    Bionic - Rooted
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Re: Having trouble downloading songs using iDEN Web Java Application Loader

Wow no one answered this question. More than likley the file you are trying to download is corrupt. I used to get the same message every so often wether it was a wallpaper or a ringtone. I ususally found that it was just a particular file, if I tried others they worked. One other thing, without knowing how many files you have on your phone, keep in mind there are limits as to how many ringtones and wallpapers you can download to the phone, depending on make and model.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. BIG TONEBONE

BIG TONEBONE New Member

WHAT DO U DO WHEN IT SAY U MUST BE LOGIN

6. BIG TONEBONE

BIG TONEBONE New Member

What Do U Do When It Say U Must Be Login Befor Connection

7. Amayze

Amayze New Member

Okay guys, I'm gonna write it down so it's real easy. If you have questions after that you can e-mail me since I don't frequent this forum. I was searching on Google for some answers of my own and saw you guys having trouble so I joined the forum to answer your questions. BTW, I have a crappy Nextel/Boost Mobile i450, some of your other phones will probably play better sounding stuff.

Follow these steps only after you have installed the correct USB/Serial/etc. drivers to access your phone. I use a USB cable so my directions talk about USB.

1. Connect to Internet. If you are always connected (LAN/Cable/DSL) you can disregard this step.

2. Open iDEN WebJal (full name is iDEN Web Java Application Loader).

3. Click on the Login button. Do not put any information in the fields, just click OK.

4. Now you should be in. If you are using USB like me, click on Preferences and put a checkmark in Connect via USB connection, then hit Apply. After that click on any of the other buttons to get you back to the main window.

5. Make sure your phone is physically connected to your USB cable and then click on Connect to Phone. It may take up to 30 seconds so be patient! A Please wait... window will come up.

6. Once you are connected properly you should see the settings for your phone, along with the amount of available space, CLDC and MIDP versions, etc.

7. To upload java stuff like games, click on Load J2ME Applications and upload them. To upload ringtones click on the Load Ring Tones button on the left and then upload. You can upload MIDI or WAV. I've not tried MP3s so I can't say for sure if they work. Of course it works the same for wallpapers. Find out from someone what size your wallpaper should be and then crop/resize your image to it and upload it.

Creating WAV ringtones:

1. Copy audio off of CD into WAV format. I use Exact Audio Copy to do it so I know the final file is clean.

2. Edit the wave file with your favorite editing program. I typically chop the file down to 15 - 30 seconds with linear fades in and out. Keep in mind your voicemail will pick up sooner than that so if you like hearing your ringtone get your phone service provider to change the number of rings before voicemail answers to longer.

3. Here's the sticky part, you need to use a conversion program to convert the good sounding wav file into a crappy sounding file with the following settings:

8 bit
    8,000 hz (hertz)
    Mono

I typically use dBPowerAMP Music Converter for this although I'm sure there are other good ones. Once it's converted I listen to it again and then upload it to the phone. Voila! That's it.

After you're done, click on Disconnect From Phone. Once it's disconnected you can unplug it from the USB cable and listen to your new ringtone.

You may want to ask around in different forums to see what's the best sounding MIDI/WAV/MP3 type of file that your phone can handle.

Oh yeah, I just forgot to answer the questions. The general communication error you get is when you try upload a ringtone that is not the correct format/conversion. I've tried a couple of higher sounding formats to see if my crappy phone will play them but it craps out just like you've described with the exact same error message.

8. Tricee

Tricee New Member

My Phone:
    i870
    Wireless Provider(s):
    nextel
    Can u please tell me everything I need get Iden Web Java to work. I have downloaded the softwarebut I think I need something else. Please help me.

Tricee

9. Amayze

Amayze New Member

Well, there are a couple of ways to do it but this is the way that worked for me. I have added my experience and rephrased instructions found at http://www.harrythompson.com. If you run into any issues with my instructions go to http://www.harrythompson.com and follow his instructions. He also has links to the appropriate files. Instructions in RED may or may not be necessary, they are specific to my installation. Pay attention to anything in BOLD.

WebJAL installation instructions:

1. Make sure you are using Windows XP Service Pack 2.
    2. Run usb_file.exe to install USB drivers.
    3. Restart.
    4. Run WebJAL_R010103.exe to install WebJAL.
    5. Restart.
    6. Run WebJalPatcher.exe to patch WebJAL.
    7. Restart.

WebJAL usage:

1. Connect to the Internet.
    2. Connect the phone to the computer via the USB cable.
    3. Start WebJAL.
    4. Click Login on the top left. Leave the name and password blank.
    5. Click Connect to phone.
    6. The computer will connect and install the device. You may be asked to install a driver. If so, install it.

That's it, you're done! Dance a jig, preferably an Irish jig since tomorrow is Saint Paddy's day!:D

10. sweetp1407

sweetp1407 New Member

My Phone:
    nextel i450
    Wireless Provider(s):
    nextel & verizon
    :loony: PLZ HELP ME!!!!!! after i click on "log in" i just click "ok" without entering any information in the name or password section but it says "the user name was not found in data base" WHAT DO I DO NOW?!?:eek:

#10 sweetp1407, Jun 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  11. Amayze

Amayze New Member

You know sweetp1407, I've never run into that problem so I really couldn't tell you how to solve it. I haven't used WebJAL in a couple of months so it could be that you've got a newer version of WebJAL and that's the issue. My suggestion is to make sure you follow the directions in the above posts step by step, you might even want to print them out to make sure you're not missing a step.

Here's what I'd do:

1. Print out this page of instructions so you can follow them exactly.
    2. Locate the directory that WebJAL is currently installed so you can find it later on (for step 5).
    3. Uninstall WebJAL.
    4. Restart your computer to make sure all components are unloaded.
    5. Find the directory that WebJAL was installed in. Delete all files within the directory, this should make sure all "config" files have been deleted.
    6. Download all the files again and follow through the steps exactly from your printed copy.

If this doesn't work you may need to start a new post with the exact words in the error message so that someone seeing the new post will know exactly what you're asking about. Good luck and keep us posted.

12. court xo lynn

court xo lynn New Member

When I open my iDen and I log in I try to connect to my phone and it's says
    "The application was unable to read the required phone information. Please Check your cable connection and your preferences. Click Retry to try again or Cancel to stop."
    my connect is fine it's all connected cause I check in my computer. how to I fix this?

13. mimilb23

mimilb23 New Member

HI IM NEW TO THIS SITE AND NEED HELP TO IM GETTING THE SAME MESSAGE WHEN THE SONG IS ABOUT TO FINISH DOWNLOADING CAN U PLEASE4 HELP ME I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO THANK YO U

14. WingedDarkness

WingedDarkness New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola I880
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Sweat P: I had the same problem, which means you didn't read all the directions either. Just put a space in the user name feild and it will work right away.

Court: What operating system are you using? XP requires service pack 2 for it to work and it isn't compatible with Vista but there are ways around it.

Now my question, My I880 worked a couple of days ago and now it too can't be read by my computer. any ideas?:biggrin:

15. WingedDarkness

My Phone:
    Motorola I880
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    oh and mimi and the others. If the download doesn't finish, or you get any other error at the very end it's because you didn't read the reply earlier. The song has to be a 8bit, mono, 8000hz and an uncompressed WAV file. The song must also be less than 30 secs long and it will load it no matter what. And it will work for the midi phones as well.

16. WingedDarkness

My Phone:
    Motorola I880
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel

Your phone can only do wav not mp3. the baud rate of the pc needs to be a step down from that of the phone as well, and if the wav is in the wrong format it won't work.:D

17. WingedDarkness

My Phone:
    Motorola I880
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel

you have to click login! login with no username or password and if that doesn't work then put one space in the username fie:D ld and nothing for the pass

18. WingedDarkness

My Phone:
    Motorola I880
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
  19. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    you know this all figures.............iDEN wasnt even meant to support data and watch Nextel try to go in and start offering data services..............this is why Sprin bought Nextel cuz Sprint felt bad for Nextel and their sucky data services :biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. WingedDarkness

My Phone:
    Motorola I880
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Actually Iden was made for data! Gotta love when people come here and shoot there mouth off and they have no clue what they are talking about. Sprint also bought Nextel because it was growing to quickly and they wanted to "jump" on the idea of the "Chirp." My dad works for them, he said Nextel was the biggest independent cell phone provider they could pick up! So quit doggin on Nextel till your facts straight there buddy! And you name another provider that you have the ability to load ringtones, games, wallpaper, and applications for free that doesn't have a problem with loading them, Oooh wait,..... you can't,.... Cos Iden is the only one you can do that with right now!:p

Nice try though!

21. WingedDarkness

My Phone:
    Motorola I880
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    And this is all coming from a guy using a razor! Your barking up the wrong tree man. Your phone has the most problems of any motorola including their Iden series phones.

22. WingedDarkness

My Phone:
    Motorola I880
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    If you actually read the directions that come with your loader you will have no problems making any part of it work. I didn't read them the first time and that's how I know the answers to your questions. I had to go back and read them and fix all these problems because i didn't read them either. After i read them though i haven't had a single problem making it work time after time so there really isn't a problem with the data service, which by the way isn't a nextel or Motorola or Iden service, so the fact that it even works is amazing.

23. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i had Boost i835 for 4 months and i was sick of it after the first week..........data was completely crappy.........and i can load ringtones and anything i want onto my RAZR thats unsigned...............T-Mobile and Cingular can do this too.............what are you saying that iDEN is the only service that can do this...............thats bull..........Sprint bought Nextel because of the prospective business customer implications............Nextel services such as Direct Connect were very business-oriented...........with all the business customers Nextel it made SPrint hungry for that.........Sprint had the money so they decided to go for it........what makes you think that i dont know the facts............and considering i have been around here longer thatn you and have made more posts and i have been over to the Sprint forum and talked to the Sprint "people" I dont think you should go around telling people about who doesn't know their facts...........its a waste of a thread