Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Have your phone handling skills improved?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by viewfly, Jan 18, 2015.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Curiosity question. Do you drop your phone less over the last 6 years?

My situation. I rarely drop my smartphone (iPhone) anymore. But any phone applies.

In the beginning, 5-6 years ago, I let it slip out of my hands easily. Or leave in in a shirt pocket, bend over, and there it went. Or have in my lap, exit the car and smash, on the pavement. Worse case, let it slip between the car seat and center console. It fell and now I had to extract it with the skills of a heart surgeon.

All this with a case on too!

But my brain and hands have learned together over the years. It seems to happen less and less. Almost never. I realize that I just placed a hex on myself and sure to drop one soon....

It so good that I'm experimenting with a naked iPhone now. The 6 seems particularly less slippery, or maybe the same, but the curved sides seem to work better for me at least. It is probably all of the above. And I would have thought the sharp edges of the 5 series would have been better. Nope. The six is better. Or maybe the larger phone size helps.

Still it's not perfect. But I have gone down to a thin flexible TPU case, and feel very secure. That is pretty close to naked. See below. I may never go naked completely since I don't like laying the phone down, without some barrier. And a LifeProof case is in the future for water sports and such.

Anyhow what is your experience? Just curious on this idle Sunday.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1 viewfly, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  2. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Definitely less now! I think phone ergonomics have also improved. My Moto X is shaped just right to fit perfectly in my hand. I think handset makers are doing the research a bit better to make sure the phone is less like a bar of soap.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    viewfly likes this.
  3. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    I haven't dropped my phones very often over the years. However, I did drop my new Moto X for the first time recently. I was trying to walk down stairs and take it out of my pocket. It was sort of a forward fumbling drop onto a wood floor. :censored: No case. I think I got lucky...I see no damage to the device. :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    viewfly likes this.
  4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I think we're becoming more aware of the phones, and the phones themselves are becoming more durable. On my old HTC Tilt, I cracked that screen about half a dozen times. I had replacing the screen down to a science. Order the new screen online for $10, and I could have it installed in about 20 minutes. My HTC Pure met its demise when I put it in the pocket of my motorcycle jacket, and I forgot it zip it shut. I backtracked and actually found the remains of my phone about an hour later, after it had been run over by several cars. My Vivid was dropped many times, but it still had hardly any case damage, and the screen never cracked. I hope my new ONE M8 holds up as well.

viewfly likes this.
  5. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yes, I think companies are paying some more attention to ergonomics too.

I do believe that I'm just more aware of where my phone is and the strength of my grip on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I don't believe I drop my phone any less (or more). Even though I don't drop it too many times but I do drop it every couple of months or so. Thankfully it has never been on the pavement or any great height (yet) - knock on wood.

I used to only use a case for my phones when at a job site or while traveling but never otherwise, until I got my first iPhone.

Somehow I have never felt comfortable without a case for the iPhone's even if it is just sitting on the table.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

7. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Every couple of months is a pretty high frequency! I'd stick with a good case then.

8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hmm thinking back on it I think it isn't that high. I dropped the 5 three times in 17 months, 5s never in 3 months, and the 6 once on a carpeted floor.

9. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    I guess my phone handling skills have degraded...dropped mine again. I discovered the feature where you can shake the phone from any state (other than off) and the camera comes on. Well, I did that trying to catch a moment and fumbled the phone down to a wood floor. Luckily no visible damage.

viewfly likes this.
  10. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Hmmm, maybe I should patent a smartphone sandpapered glove...

11. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I don't remember the last time I dropped my phone, so it's pretty rare. However, the larger the phones become (5" and over) I find myself fumbling more and more with them. With 4.5" and 4.7" phones I never had a problem. The MotoX especially, with the rounded metal sides seems to want to slip out of my hand than my Alcatel of the same size which has squared plastic sides.

12. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    My phone handling skills have not changed or depend on the physical size and/or shape.

Once a klutz always a klutz I guess. :)

13. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I don't drop my phone any more or less than when I first got my Motorola v2397, but it seems like phones aren't made as well (hence the Otterbox on my Droid Mini.)

My poor, poor Motorola v860 Barrage died a sad death by being dropped...then, before my very eyes, it split in half. That phone was supposedly mil-spec certified against shock so I may be pretty clumsy.

Interestingly, I didn't have as many problems dropping my RAZRs or PEBLs as I did other phones I've owned over the years.

charlyee likes this.
  14. our3rotts

our3rotts An Iowa Gurl...

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    I don't think I've dropped it more or less as we moved from bar to flip to smartphones. But I have been good about getting an invisi-shield screen protector (which I doesn't work when I wear gloves) and a rubberized case. I've never had a cracked screen or case in all my drops (1-3 times a year) on various surfaces (even concrete from 4/5 ft). Some scratches over the years.

charlyee likes this.