Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Have Sprint, should i switch to Cingular in West L.A.?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by laf, Nov 13, 2001.

1. laf

laf New Member

I've had Sprint PCS service for nearly 2 years. All in all, i've been satisfied (i currently have the Samsung 6100). My contract ends at the end of the month and i'm wondering about going w/Cingular and their Nokia 3390. Both services are praised AND criticized by people i know. if you live in the Marina del Rey area, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I thought I would mention that Sprint has a new site listed for Marina Del Rey on Admiralty WY near PCH. This site should be constructed very soon if it hasn't already.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

laf,
    If you are thinking of switching carriers, don't switch to Cingular just to get the 3390 phone. Since PacBell became Cingular, complaints have multiplied in these newsgroups. They have gone from being among the best, to among the worst. Mostly because they have overloaded their system.

If you really want to leave Sprint, a service you KNOW works for you, consider joining AT&T and get their 3360 phone. The phone is almost identical, but the carrier is vastly superior.

Cingular may solve their problems in time, but you want the best carrier for today. But if they do build that new site in MDR, Sprint may still be the best for you.

-Bill Radio
    -www.mountainwireless.com

4. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Bill,

You're right about Cingular overloading their system. The problem is that they have targeted mostly younger people and families who are constantly using the network to call each other on the free mobile to mobile minutes and after 8PM. Around colleges and Universities it's especially bad. Maybe things are improving since they changed their plan formats to have N&W's starting at 9PM instead of 8PM.

Sprint is not showing any signs of overloading here in the LA area. I don't think AT&T is either.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Allow me to correct my numbers. The small Nokia phone AT&T is offering is the 8260, not the 3360. My bad.

-Bill Radio

6. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi Bill,

I just checked ATT's website, they do have both those phones. In fact, right now, as I am writing this email, I see in the right top corner of WirelessAdvisor's message composition screen, an ad from ATT with the Nokia 3360 showing. So you were right the first time.

Kevin

7. Guest

Guest Guest

WoW! Nice to see AT&T getting more phones! I would add that one would be making a small sacrifice when using one of the those 'Internal' antenna Nokia phones in an AT&T 800 MHz market, like LA.

That's where the 8290 and 3390 would work a little better, but not on Cingular, at least not now. The 8260 and 3360 work great in Phoenix, Idaho and Albuquerque where AT&T uses 1900 MHz.

-Bill Radio

8. laf

laf New Member

update: I was initially thinking of changing from Sprint (after being w/them for 2 years) because their nighttime minutes were changing to start at 9pm (because it's still "daytime" until then, right??), only to find out that Cingular is following the trend. Both offer 500 anytime minutes/free long-distance/TONS of night and weekend minutes for 49.99 and so i stuck w/Sprint. I really don't have any problems (except for some areas of Ventura County because I have a digital-only and Sprint isn't 100% digital). Hopefully the extra daytime minutes will help to lower my HUGE monthly bills (with family back east, i'm always on my phone before 8pm).

Anyhow, thanks for the helpful tips! Oh, does anyone know if Sprint will ever offer Nokia phones? I don't mind my Samsung (most of the time) but everyone i know who has a Nokia says they're the best.

Leslie

9. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Actually, the problem is that Sprint IS 100% digital and nothing more. In order to provide extended and expanded service, they have had to contract with other vendors offering analog service in order to provide coverage for their subscribers. You'd be doing yourself a favor to get a dual-mode phone.

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Leslie,

Look for Sprint service to improve in Ventura county real soon. I doubt that Sprint will be offering Nokia's any time soon. They have offered two models in the past and both were bad performers on CDMA technology. I just got a Kyocera 2255 tri-mode and am very happy with it.

11. edamon

edamon Junior Member

I'm in the marina as well.. with ATT, but the signal strength sucks.. varies were I am in the
    apartment. or what direction the phone is pointing.

How's that Sprint working for you? how about through santa monica, etc? I'm looking to change.

-d

12. Guest

Guest Guest

My Verizon service in Marina Del Rey is good and bad. For some reason I get so so service in my townhouse but great service as soon as I pull out of the garage. At my office, near fox hills mall, where AT&T and sprint customers get so so coverage, I get a strong signal. Also, in Newbury Park at the Albertsons I get nothing. Completely dead signal, no service. As soon as I leave the parking lot, its a strong signal again. In the market, I know that AT&T or Cingular get decent signals. So other than my place in MDR and the Albertsons in Newbury Park I love the service, just wish I had a better choice of phones.