Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

have nextel, tired of sparatic no service....

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by mpitalian, May 10, 2006.

1. mpitalian

mpitalian New Member

hey all, i have had nextel for about 7 years now. there cell service has since depleted in the area where i live and i am noticing now where i work, which is all over NYC. I cannot make a decision however to switch to either verizon or cingular. I know people who have both, my brother, mom and dad have verizon and they like it and my aunt and cousins have cingular and live in CT and always have service. I was hoping someone would who works in the putnam county, ny area and works in NYC and goes to CT every now and again if possible can tell me how the service of these other providers is. I am also considering just taking the 30 day trial from cingular and seeing how it works. any advise is great, thanks ahead of time

2. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I don't travel these area's, but trying Cingular for 30 days will give you the time to really test it, and if it doesn't work good for you, then you can try Verizon for the 14 days. Both should be good in NYC & CT, but Verizon may be better in Putnam county. Another thing to consider is with Verizon you would be able to call your parents and brother using M2M and not use your minutes, which may be an added bonus for you.

3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Putnam Co. is a flaky area for most carriers so getting yourself a trial of both carriers is the way to go to determine which one will work better for you. Everywhere else you mentioned both are pretty much excellent all over.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mpitalian

mpitalian New Member

yeah i think that is what i am going to do... one question, when i do the trial, i am going to do it with a new number, once the trial is over and if i decide to go with one of the carriers, can i then port my number over? i have had this number for 8 years with nextel and dont want to loose it as everyone has it

5. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Yes. You can get a trial with both companies, get new phone numbers, then cancel the service you don't want and port your NEXTEL number over to the service you want to keep.
    hope this helps!

6. mpitalian

mpitalian New Member

yes it does greatly, now i have to decide if i want to a phone with push to talk capability, is there a way to find out if alot of people have it and it is worth getting?

7. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I don't think there really is a way to find out how many people have it. If you really do want/need PTT Nextel is definitely the way to go, and most people that want/need PTT are going to be with them. Personally, unless you know friends with Cingular or Verizon that use PTT I don't think it's worth getting.

8. mpitalian

mpitalian New Member

thats what i was kinda siding with myself, and i love the ptt with nextel, its just i never have service when i need it... for instance i was almost lost on the way to work the other day cuz i was assigned somewhere else... and i had NO service, and then on the mta from the city back home, its very sparatic on the train and it drives me nuts how it goes in and out, especially when talking to someone, checking email, i am even thinking of going boost for the two way, but having cingular or verizon as primary phone... but thats money i dont have haha, we'll see, i am gonna see what the people i talk to besides family have just to have an idea..... this is all great stuff.. thanks everyone!!

9. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    All you gotta do is have your Nextel friends port to Cingular. ;) They offer 3 phones with PTT. PTT will not work across carriers, meaning if you are on Nextel, you can't PTT to someone with Cingular PTT and viceversa.

As for Verizon, I don't know if their failed attempt at PTT is even available anymore.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If you are still under contract with Nextel you can switch to Sprint without having to pay any early termination fees. I realize Sprint is not one of the two carriers you are considering, but I figured I would throw that out there.

11. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I have relatives in the Putnam (Mahopac) area that regularly commute to NYC/Westchester & So Conn.
    They tried Both Sprint & AT&T (Pre CING Merge) & there was no comparison, by far, to VZW in these areas. Cing is still weaker than VZW in these general areas, but still enough to notice the difference. (As a "general" statement, I'm sure Jones or someone will post a CING press release about a cell site in a specific locale in the county:) ).
    Perhaps give some "free trials" a good workout...