Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Has the iPhone lost its cool factor?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by charlyee, May 31, 2012.

1. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Continued:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

I never thought it was "cool". For me, I use an iPhone because it fits my needs and does everything I need it to. Also, going by the sales numbers, the iPhone is still a top seller. To be honest, I don't see what the iPhone going to prepaid has to do with its cool factor. Truth is, many people have been using a unlocked GSM iPhone on T-Mobiles PP service for years, so I am sure Apple has fully thought out the advantages of offering the iPhone to their prepaid based customers.

3. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    If I understand the writer, I think what he is saying is that it is good for Apple but not so good for the Providers. Being available on prepay will make the Blues and the Reds lose the customers that would go with them or them just to get the iPhone.

My totally unscientific guess of how many people got the iPhone because it was "cool" vs people like you who got it because it met your requirements would be 80/20. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Eileen89

I don't think this is going to hurt either of the major wireless providers for the main reason I posted in another thread, as well as just your basic coverage issues. Does Cricket even have good service everywhere that Verizon and AT&T does? Then there's the cost factor in all off this. If people are on prepaid due to budget constraints, are they really going to have the $500. needed just to get the iPhone? I think it will sell, but I don't think it's going to take many customers away from Verizon or AT&T.

Are you saying that 80% of iPhone customers are using one simply because they think it's cool? :confused: If so, I would have to disagree here based on the number of businesses alone who recently left RIM and Blackberry for the iPhone. I think most people use an iPhone because it works and not because they just think it's cool. You're always going to have what I like to call "Blind followers" that will use a phone no matter which platform it is on regardless of whether it meets their needs or not, however, I think given the fact that the iPhone has been out more than 5 years most people have gotten past viewing it as just a cool phone to have.....

5. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    You are absolutely right if you take business users into the equation, I wasn't counting them since they didn't have a choice Just as they didn't with BB either. Actually I personally would never have gotten a tablet if the iPad wasn't the only way for me to access company's network as opposed to lugging around my work laptop.

I was more talking about the consumer who does have a choice and for majority of them, the cool factor is what brought them to the iPhone in the first place. So I stand by my 80/20. ;)

6. Eileen89

The numbers I'm thinking of are much different. I'm see 5/95 given the fact that the majority of users who have used and keep coming back to the iPhone every year do so because it just works and Apple knows this, which is probably why they can get away with not changing the design of the iPhone for 2 years and still have a large percent of their users return year after year. I do believe there was a time when people bought the iPhone simply because they thought it was cool, however, given the fact that it is not very customizable and the design of it not changing over the years, and yet large numbers of customers still continue to buy one says they do so for more reasons than the cool factor.

But, hey, like you said, there hasn't been any scientific study done to support either one of our numbers, so who knows which one of our guesses would be correct. :cool:

7. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I get what the author is saying, and that's basically that the "honeymoon" is kind of over for the iPhone. It's been around 5 years now and you can get it by pretty much every carrier. And while the media hype is still there, it seems to be waning a bit as well (do we really need a media bliz every time a new variant of the phone is released?)

Of course people buy phones for various reasons, some for the "cool" factor, some for more practical reasons. I think the main reason the iPhone is still holding traction in the middle-ground is because alot of people know it by name now.

A short example: My kid was playing with some other kids on the street last week, and he was showing off a new app he installed on his SonyEricsson Xperia phone. One 10 year old girl came up to him and asked him "Is that an iPhone?", he said "No, it's an Android" the girl just looked at him kind of blank-faced and said "I don't know what that is". And I think that's kind of a microcosm in a way of today's average phone consumer. They go in a phone store and don't know what the other phone's are about, but they know the iPhone by name. Kind of like scooters. There's plenty of scooters out there, but when people walk in a store they ask for a "Razor" scooter, because that's the one they heard of.

8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I agree with you on the name recognition, same as referring to facial tissue as Kleenex, irrespective who makes it.

I have an example similar to yours, one of my friends was telling me how her husband leaned over the side of the boat, and his phone fell out of the pocket, then she said, so guess what he got an iPhone now. When I see them next I ask him about it and he tells me it is actually a Sprint EVO 4G and because it's a SmartPhone, his wife refers to it as iPhone.

9. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    WARNING: There are some choice words in the clip that may disagree with you.

Kind of like [video=youtube;FL7yD-0pqZg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg[/video], right? :)

#9 dmapr, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
    2 people like this.
  10. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    IMO, no. When Apple announces the newest version, insanity will break out. Just as it has with all prior versions. It's a great phone, regardless whether people like it or not. If the iPhone's share of the market drops precipitously, then I'd say Apple should be concerned. Until then (if ever), it's a cool phone. And so are all the awesome Android devices out there, (again, IMO).

#10 M in LA, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  11. Eileen89

I agree with you 100%. People know what works for them and the customer service that goes along with any Apple product is second to none. That is why people have kept coming back to the iPhone year after year, and the reason why sales go up with every new iPhone that comes out. With the rumored larger screen, better processor and unbreakable front glass, as well as LTE finally!, I think this years iPhone will see record breaking sales numbers. :)

1 person likes this.