Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Has the iPhone changed mobile internet usage?

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by Fire14, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    IPhone is Top for News and Information Accessed on Mobile Browser

Six months after the iPhone's U.S. launch, has the device changed the mobile landscape? According to M:Metrics, the mobile media authority, the answer is yes. Today, the measurement firm reports that the iPhone is already the most popular device for accessing news and information on the mobile Web, with 85 percent of iPhone users accessing news and information in the month of January.

"The iPhone has certainly delivered on its hype," said Mark Donovan, senior analyst, M:Metrics. "Beyond a doubt, this device is compelling consumers to interact with the mobile Web, delivering off-the-charts usage from everything to text messaging to mobile video."

M:Metrics found that a staggering 30.9 percent of iPhone owners watched mobile TV or video, versus a 4.6 market average, and more than double the rate for all smartphone users. Usage of social networking is also popular among iPhone users: 49.7 percent accessed a social networking site in January, nearly twelve times the market average. Twenty percent of iPhone owners accessed Facebook, one of the first Web properties to customize its content for the iPhone, versus 1.5 percent of the total mobile market.

"This data indicate that the iPhone's widgets are an effective means to drive mobile content consumption," observed Donovan. "Two featured widgets, YouTube and Google Maps, are extremely popular among iPhone users: 30.4 percent accessed YouTube and 36 percent used Google Maps. In comparison, only one percent of all mobile subscribers accessed YouTube and 2.6 percent checked out Google Maps."

M:Metrics is also the first to report use of the music playing capability of the iPhone, with 74.1 percent of iPhone owners listening to mobile music in January, compared to 6.7 percent of the total mobile audience. Eighty four percent of iPhone owners who use an MP3 player use an iPod.

M:Metrics revealed the demographic composition of iPhone users, which are similar to the demographics of other smartphone owners. They are more likely to be: male, aged 25-34, earn more than $100,000 and have a college degree, than the average mobile subscriber.

"While the demographics of iPhone users are very similar to all smartphone owners, the iPhone is outpacing other smartphones in driving mobile content consumption by a significant margin," said Donovan. "In addition to the attributes of the device itself, another important factor to consider is the fact that all iPhones on AT&T are attached to an unlimited data plan. Our data shows that once the fear of surprise data charges is eliminated, mobile content consumption increases dramatically, regardless of device."

IPhone is Top for News and Information Accessed on Mobile Browser

2. hf1khal

hf1khal Who am I to judge

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Well haveing a market share of 17% (based on brand name) right after RIM's share of over 19% (the leader) is not bad for less than 1 year in the market. I have to disagree with the demographics, I have been seeing more and more people with income of less than $50K owning the iPhone than ones who earn more than $100K. And by the way, of the 40 plus that I know who ise the iphone, 80% are femal. I laways hate reading those statisics and in reality I see some thing else.

3. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 26 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I can understand why the iPhone has increased mobile internet usage - it looks great on the device! Visual appeal makes a huge difference. This is one thing Apple's always been very good at.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah......companies these days make computers with serious horsepower......but with Apple.....their computers are just as good on the outside as they are on the in

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Being a proprietary computer/electronics maker allows for that...

6. Bugwart

Bugwart Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung SCH i760,
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SKT, Verizon, China Mobile, EPlus
    Comparing iPhone user stats to the overall cell phone market is a bit silly. Let's face it, someone who gets a free phone wth basic service will not be using services used by the typical smart phone user.

7. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    my only complaint of the iphone is that it seems to get poorer reception than the other devices att carrys. i duno if its just me or what but i couldnt hardly stand it, i kept my blackberry.

8. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    And for many people, a reception issue could be a major deal-breaker with a phone like this. I know it would be in my case.

Internet usage aside, what's the point of having an iPhone if the "phone" doesn't have enough signal to make calls? If you want to listen to music, get a real iPod and if you want WiFi for internet use, get an iPod Touch!

9. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    i agree. i think that it is only certain ones. some of them work great, some are bad, just like many phones, but from what ive seen with a friend of mine who recently got one. we will be in the same friends house with 1 bar (sorta in a low area in a valley where no companys serve well due to terrain) and he is breaking up talking to people and im walking around with my blackberry curve talking with no problem and we both have att.

i told him he should goto the apple store and complain but that is quiet a drive from where he lives.